Defense+ freezes PC on opening Device Manager from Computer Management in XP sp2

Hello there, running XP sp1, just updated to sp2. installed CIS 4.0.32 without any previous installs.

(was running Kerio Firewall before, and uninstalled it.)

For some reason now, since i have a external hard drive ase with memory card readers and usb hub not functioning properly, i’m starting the device manager, and it locks up the computer.
can still switch betwen programs, but the whole taskbar and start menu is not working (so it seems explorer is locked) also comodo doesn not react anymore, it’s not possible to start any programs or close the computer normally, nor via the task manager. also not possible to kill cfp or cmdagent.

when defense+ is disabled MMC and Device Manager can start normally.

I have Defense+ setting to paranoid, no sandbox enabled, and added both mmc.exe, dmremote.exe and dmadmin.exe to the windows system applications group and set access right to allow everything except DNS service and windows messages (set to ask)

the above mentioned applicatio9ns inclusive explorer.exe are set to allow each other to start.

i’m at a loss, if i forgot to mention anything let me know. willing to do a VNC session.

after changing the executables involved (mcc.exe) to the windows system group, i found it asked me again about ‘services’ trying to modify/create some files. something i had once bl;ocked previously, (though i don’t remember checking the ‘remember this’ option.

also i forgot: i just connected an newly bought DSC-TX5 Sony camera, and i also was experiencing the usb code 10 errors mentioned previously with an external harddisk/cardreader device.

also i was using process explorer as task manager, when using the windows task manager even in the ‘locked’ state i was able to succesfully kill cmdagent and cfp.exe, though this did not end up showing the device manager, it did free up the computer again.

Can you check the rule for services.exe. Look under Access Rights → and see if you blocked protected files and folders to be created, as well as registry keys, driver installs and protected registry keys.