Defense+ causing memory errors on Apps

Oh while you are at it could you please rename usbguard.exe, and any other USB security executables from the same company and reboot.

Running some forms of USB security on top of CIS could be causing this.

Best wishes

Mouse

Got no warnings about changing the name of guard32.dll :stuck_out_tongue:

But, the app WORKED! Flaawlessly!

Still… messing around with this guard32.dll thing disabled sure looks, uh, “not recommended”… so…

So, what now?

!ot! Ain’t this a little bit dangerous? I mean, you said you have reduced defense when this guard32.dll is “disabled”… can’t some sort of virus then do exactly what i did and disable it, harming the computer?

I’ve just thought that it may be possible to work round this. The guard32 problem could be caused by the hooking strategy, or an interaction between hooks. You can change the hooking strategy by engaging ‘advanced protection mode’ and restarting. This should have relatively little effect on security. (Remember to restore guard32 to its original name first. If that dioes not work we’ll try and see if we can use CIS to prevent CIS hooking the app and/or preventing other gobal hooks hooking the app … may not be possible.

!ot! Ain't this a little bit dangerous? I mean, you said you have reduced defense when this guard32.dll is "disabled"... can't some sort of virus then do exactly what i did and disable it, harming the computer?
Not easily, CIS distinguishes between user and software actions. You can change its name and reboot, but try to write a batch file that does the same. :)

Enhanced protection mode didn’t work. :stuck_out_tongue:
And, yes, restored the guard32.dll to its name.

Giving a load of work this one…

Installed myself on VMs and results are:

Version 1.6 Windows Installer
XP: Installs and runs OK

Version 1.5 Zip files
XP: Does not install and run, whatever you do, short of disabling guard32.dll. I ahve tried all the other tricks I was going to suggest to save you time.

Win7 x64: Installs and runs OK

IS 1.6 OK? Seems to deal with local ROMs, but does not provide them?

There is a bug here, which is worth reporting on the bugs board in standard bug format, if you would be so kind.

Best wishes

Mouse

Yea, v1.6 does indeed work, but the online version of it ain’t based on 1.6, instead, on 1.5.

So, yeah, bug report, here we go… Thanks for the help anyways. :azn:

That’s OK, sorry I could not resolve it.

No problemo… at least i got help. Well, when i recommend this AV, it ain’t for nothing, you see. :wink:
You can lock it if you want.

Thanks.

No I’ll not lock unless someone spam the topic - maybe someone else will have an idea. Probably merge with or link to your bug report when you do it.

Just a word to the wise - please read this post: here before submitting the bug, and submit in standard format following the guidelines. It really does help devs resolve the issues. You can refer to this topic when asked what you have tried to resolve it - say ‘Extensive attempts to resolve with a mod, documented in this post’.

Good luck

Best wishes

Mouse