defense+ and firefox/flash

Hello all,

I am having a lot of trouble getting firefox to load and eun correctly, especially flash, with defense+ od safe mode.
Firefox itself runs fine, but all flash code gets blocked and is not visible. I tried adding plugin-container.exe and flash executable to trusted programs, alter their permissions to all allow, exclude them from shell code intrusion detection etc. etc. nothing is eorking.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue and give me sime hints on how to solve this?


Hi Phractal,
Are you getting any defense+ alerts?

Are you certain it is not an adblock or scriptblock browser extension blocking the content?

Hi captainsticks,

thanks for the fast answer. Yes I am sure its not an adblock and or scriptblock as it runs perfectly fine when turning off d+ :frowning: But turning D+ off should not be the solution to the problem.
Oh, and I am getting no D+ alerts whatsoever :frowning:

What I am seeing though are lots off werfault and plugincontainer and flash.exe tasks running in my taskmanGer even after closing firefox itself. it looks as if the flash applications are not only blocked from view but also cannot be ended by firefox…even though I made them safe, gave them all allow and exluded them in shell code intrusion…

I am simply at a loss here…either the D+ permission serrings are not working correctly or it is being blocked by some rule I cannot see :frowning:

I am not sure how to help here sorry, so I have asked the other Mods to take a look at this issue when possible.

ok, thanks!

It might just be an issue with Flash Player plugin. Cause I know in Firefox 12-14.0.1 that Flash Player 11.3.300.257 (Non-IE), .262, .265 usually crash while trying to stream music or playing videos especially when you try to full screen. Says Flash has encountered a problem, tries to lookup a fix, doesn’t find one and then sometimes closes Firefox all together.

But Flash just released an update, Flash Player 11.3.300.268 (Non-IE), and so far all the streaming music and playing videos seemed to have been resolved in this update

Before you find yourself trying “strange” things to solve a problem,
remove the rules for these programs, and do them again.

If it still doesnt solve the problem, and its sure that (defense+) is the problem,
its not that hard today to make a new rule set.

Its better than to waste time by endless thinking :slight_smile:

You dont need to add something to trusted and to allow all in this case.

(Note: Make sure first that the sandbox is not the causing factor)

oh trust me, I tried everything. Nothing worked :frowning:

In the end I reinstalled everything an now everything works fine.

I am stll pretty confused regarding the D+ protection settings. Do they actively block or do they just monitor?

And most importantly…are there any settings or additions I need to make to the default D+ settings? I just added ?:* to the protected files and folders options.

Anything else?
Thanks in advance!

It looks like you’re following my guide about How to Install Comodo Firewall. If you did follow that advice then no other configuration changes should be needed unless you want to tweak the settings.

By the way, Defense+ does block. :wink:

yes indeed, i am following that guide :slight_smile:

pretty much set up everything now and it is running smoothly so far. very powerful firewall indeed, once you understand how it works in depth.

Defense+ ist still giving me headaches (in a good way ;)) as I still not fully understand how these access rights and protection settings work, but Im getting there :wink:

CIS surely has a learning curve. But once mastered it’s a great piece of software keeping the bad guys at bay.