Defence+ and My Protected Files: Does it really protect them?

I’m a newbi to these forums, and this may be a bumb question, but: How does the Defence+ → My Protected Files work?

For the second time in 3 months, after installing Microsoft Updates, when I restart my computer as required by the process, I end up with the error that windows can’t boot because of a missing or corupt Hal.dll file. Now, it’s not actually missing, but the update process actually ends up deleting my boot.ini file!! According to Comodo Firewall, this file should be automatically protected from unauthorised changes; I certainly would expect it to prevent it from being deleted!

Now, Windows and/or any Updates should have absolutly no reason for changing or deleting the boot.ini file. So why this happens is a complete mystery. I am able to rebuild the file and I keep a backup just in case its deleted again, but again I ask: Why is CFW allowing this to happen? Can I trust it to protect my other files? This updates also seems to alter other programs that change its ability to run correctly (the *.exe file is fine, but the link that allows it to access the data files and read them is corrupted) and access the data files it needs, resulting in the need to uninstall and re-install. If I want to have CFW to protect these files also, will it??

If this is really a virus that causes the problem, then why can’t I detect it? My anti-virus software says I’m clean and Comodo never gave me any warning either.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Craigers.

The boot.ini is part of My Protected Files. These files are protected again unauthorised changes. There are not totally blocked. Assuming it is Windows updater that changes it notice that the Windows Updater runs as Windows System Application and is therefore allowed to change protected file and folders.

When you want to check for malware run this tutorial: What to do if you’re infected - eXPerience Rev.3. When done report with the requested Hijack This log.

On a different track I also want to make sure your hard drive is in good shape and that the file system is in order.

First thing is to enable SMART monitoring in the BIOS of your computer. SMART = Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Tool; with SMART you can ask the hard drive to report its technical state. Download Speedfan and look at the SMART parameters and also let it so an online analysis.

Then open the command prompt; Start → Run → cmd → now a black DOS like box opens → chkdsk /f → push enter → you will get one or two questions: about unlokcing tell no, to perform chkdsk on the next reboot tell yes.