Death of BOClean 4.24 and earlier!

Today’s updates will be the FINAL update for BOClean 4.22 through BOClean 4.24. After this one which will also pop up a warning box upon update, these earlier versions of BOClean will no longer be updated. Therefore it is MANDATORY that anyone still running a version of BOClean prior to the new 4.25 version upgrade as soon as possible! You can get your FREE replacement here:

http://www.comodo.com/boclean/CBO_download.html

Servers are likely to be busy given the sheer number of replacements … should you have difficulty, please try again - we’re going to see a record amount of traffic in the next few days and the link is DEFINITELY good … and as much as our servers can handle, it WILL be dished out.

For those who haven’t read the announcements section, it is necessary to kill off ALL earlier versions of BOClean owing to a serious flaw since the 4.09 version which was only discovered the other day. I’ve been amused at all of the “conspiracy theories” as to COMODO trying to kill off the “last good PSC version” for some sort of onerous reasons. Only thing is, all of the COMODO versions are also being killed off as well. Whoops. :slight_smile:

Come and get yer shiny new BOClean … you’ll actually be GLAD you did!

I am delighted to get my shiny new version - however I am not looking forward to trying to explain to my mother-in- law why I have to install a new version already. Since the old one removed several nasties from her pc I am hoping she wont give me too much grief. LOL!

(:LGH)

Got mine… I didn’t notice it being any shinier than the old version… But did it really have to be? :wink:

Hmmmm not one to growl about stuff but kind of wish there had have been more notice. I got a few copies installed here and there now gotta make some trips to install the new version, one such trip is a 300 mile one. Its for elderly people so cant talk them thru an install with the special method to install a new version.

Hi Kevin,
I’m still running BOClean 4.22.002. Since there is a buffer overflow are my computers more vulnerable running this version, even though it won’t be updated?
Also, I thought previous owners of BOClean wouldn’t be bound by the new EULA, but reviewing the EULA posted online I find this:

“Comodo may seek written assurances from you concerning your promise to indemnify Comodo, and your failure to provide those assurances may be considered by Comodo to be a material breach of this Agreement. Comodo shall have the right to participate in any defense by you of a third-party claim related to your use of the Program, with counsel of our choice at your own expense. You shall have sole responsibility to defend Comodo against any claim, but you must receive Comodo’s prior written consent regarding any related settlement. The terms of this paragraph will survive any termination or cancellation of this Agreement.”

I really don’t want to agree to pay Comodo’s legal expenses if a problem arose, and would like some clarification about this from the new owner. It seems to me that by installing the new Comodo BOClean I am bound by this indemnity agreement.

Also, I was never able to set those permissions in XPHomesp2 in safe mode but BOClean always updated anyway. Are there screenshots to making those changes anywhere?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Ever try remoting in?
Windows Remote Desktop, VNC or SSH tunnel are helpful.
I updated a half dozen clients this way yesterday.

Thanks for the idea cat. I looked at a few and seen Crossloops and that looked easy enough to talk the other person thru using. So now their computer got the new Boclean and I still got a full tank of gas.

;D

Libra. Read this thread about the “Nefarious Eula”. It’s nothing to worry about unless you are going to use it for your own illegal activity.

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boclean_antimalware/end_user_license_agreement_eula_comodo_boclean-t9956.90.html

Thank you Threedog. I’ll have to think about it because I’m not comfortable with it.

Sincerely, Libra

I just registered here, but it seems that although I checked “hide my e-mail address from the public” it is visible. Checking and unchecking that setting made no difference, or logging off and back on. I’m going to have to delete my account but will be viewing this thread for information as to whether it is unwise to have 4.22 running on my computers.

Sincerely, Libra

No one can see it but you if you check to hide it. You can see it but we can’t.

jasper

Technically, only the member, administrators, and moderators have the ability to see registered members’ email addresses. This can be confirmed by registering under a different account and then revisiting this thread to access the other account’s profile - you won’t be able to see the email.

In addition, I requested it before and an admin disabled guests’ ability from viewing members’ profiles altogether.

Thank you Jasper and Soya. I registered twice to confirm my e-mail isn’t showing. I’ll stay registered this time.

Sincerely, Libra

Hi Everyone,

I upgraded from BOClean 4.23 to 4.25 yesterday as per instructions. I stopped then uninstalled the old version, installed the new and then did a reboot. Some time later I noticed the new process is taking 35-45% of my CPU. I can’t remember 4.23 taking anything like this amount of CPU, in fact I can’t remember what it might have used, so I guess it was pretty low.

After a reboot the process runs between 0-19% (mostly 0), but there comes a time when it up to 35-45% and stays there. Has something gone wrong with my installation or is this what others get? Has the new version crashed or is it doing some work I don’t know (could be as I don’t know how BOClean works)

Any ideas?

Cheers.

– Zoot

Well, I finally upgraded from BOClean 4.22.002 on my Win98SE system. I got repeated alerts from my firewall asking what I wanted to do as the installer attempted to access the internet to the point where I feared that either my system might lock up or the install might be corrupted. After clicking “Allow” or “OK” repeatedly I was finally able to finish the install.

It seems to be working normally, I am not noticing any difference from the 4.22 version except the tray icon looks like a smattering of bird droppings under a mulberry tree as viewed through a dirty broken window. I guess I’ll get used to it.

Hi Zoot :slight_smile:

You may want to look at these topics :

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boclean_antimalware/boclean_425_running_at_98_cpu-t11492.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boclean_antimalware/boclean_memory_usage-t11411.0.html

And to this post of Kevin :

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boclean_antimalware/boclean_memory_usage-t11411.0.html;msg81157#msg81157

Suggest that you uninstall 4.25, do a reboot to ensure that everything goes away. Then shut down [ your virus scanner ] and the other [ real-time protection] stuff (disconnect the network if it makes you feel safer) and install as admin. That SHOULD solve it once you do a reboot after the reinstall ... but somehow BOClean is unable to connect to its kernel driver and the system is going into "contention" trying to do so. A reinstall should do the trick. Sorry for missing the symptoms, ain't seen this one in a while ...

I hope it will helps you :slight_smile:

Greetz, Red.

Thanks Red,

I read your suggested links and decided to un-install, reboot and then re-install and re-boot. So far so good.

Cheers,

– Zoot

Your welcome :slight_smile:

But it would be interesting to know why some of us have this problem with version 4.25, and never with earlier versons :-\

Greetz, Red.