Data Execution Prevention (DEP) [Info]

I am running Win XP ProSP2 with all the latest updates on a Pentium IV machine with DEP enabled.
I installed ver 3.0 of the firewall without incident.
I booted into a limited account and no problems with the firewall.
Opened the firewall, went to the miscellaneous section, and clicked on check for updates.
The updater screen appeared and clicked on start.
Got the following message: Commodo firewall pro has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Rebooted into the administrator account and again no problems with the firewall.
Opened the firewall, went to the miscellaneous section, and clicked on check for updates.
The updater screen appeared and clicked on start.
Got the following message: Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer windows has closed this program
Name: Comodo Firewall Pro
Publisher: Comodo

Clicked on Change Settings
Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
Checked the box next to Comodo Firewall Pro

After that I was able to run update.
Comodo Firewall Pro is the only program I have that I have a DEP exception for.

Does this seem strange to anyone?

well you are not alone =) I also experience this with CPF 3 not just in updating but also during the submission of suspicious file…the thing is the actual firewall doesn’t close…i think it’s just the components for updating and submission that were closing down. I just changed my DEP settings to get rid of these problems.

Your are right! I had also experienced this with the submission of suspicious files. I had forgotten about that as I have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times.

Totally agree!

Likewise.

There seems to be an incongruity here.
Comodo firewall is security software and the only way it can run is without the additional benefit of the protection afforded by the operating system in the form of DEP!
One could argue that the firewall can run with DEP enabled and this is true but no updating and no submission of suspicious files can take place.
In my opinion the firewall needs to be made DEP compliant unless there is some strong reason preventing it from becoming so.

Regards,
Mike