D+ is nt working properly..

Hi,

I have WinXP SP2 with CIS 3.11 installed.
I cant update DB version. It shows err code: 0x80004002 ( What does this mean?)
And it shows D+ is is not working properly.
D+ mode: safe mode
further more i didnt chage the cis settings right form the installation.
Any help would be appriciated.

-virumandi

[attachment deleted by admin]

I had this problem in the past. But, after updating to SP3 (I did it so that I don’t have to rely any other Firewall than Comodo!) my problem was solved and I was able to update.

Hi,

thks layman for your suggestion.
after updating to SP3 >>> How do i confirm that if i update to sp3 it will work properly.
I want to know why it does show the error in sp2.
and what does 0x80004002 means?

thnks
virumandi

Why don’t you ask google?
This error means:‘‘unable to install updates’’

When I faced this problem I made a lot of googling to find out what this problem is. Almost all the links took me to Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser (MBSA) related posts. I did almost all the possible steps to sort it out from updating the directx (some sites indicated that 9.0b directx had similar problems) to diagnose the CIS (from misc tab of CIS), copy the bases.cav file from repair folder. (You can find some links in this forum regarding what actions are to be taken when there is problem in updating antivirus)

However, what I observed on the past occasions of my failure to update with this ‘unsupported’ remark was, after installation of CIS, the first update of antivirus, which is a huge one taking some 1 hr or so, somehow my BB connection was disrupted (most of the time due to my impatience when I interrupted it as I could not see the antivirus updating status moving from 30%). So, may be it has something to do with that. But, even after copying the bases.cav file from repair folder, my problem was not solved, which should have solved in the normal course.

I also waited for one or two releases of CIS (3.8 & 3.9 versions I think) thinking that this is a fault of CIS and eventually will be fixed by Comodo.

When I found that even after two releases this problem still remained, since I didn’t want to switch to any other firewall, (I have been with Comodo since version 2), I took the risk of updating my SP2, (which I never wished to) to SP3. Either co-incidently or due to this, my problem was solved.

I recommended SP3 because after updating to SP3, I made ‘clean’ install of CIS on release of each of the new versions, but this has never resurfaced.

Hi guys,

First of all thnks for moving my post to appropriate thread.

I have searched about the error code. It is related to microsoft windows update component. It also says, this may occur due to installing addtional download managers in the system. But i diidnt installed any external download managers to download. And ther is no additional protocol namespace handler created in my registry.
“HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler”.

So what does CIS update do with MS update?, Is ther any relation?

I think the error 0x80004002 and “D+ not working properly” are two different issues and ther is no inter relation with that.

Thnks layman for your detailed explanation. Either way i couldnt sort out my problem as u did. And moving bases.cav form repair folder tp scanner folder wont be helpful. because bases.cav is going to do nothing with update. And by now i cant update my system to SP3.

I checked both clean intallation and updating to new one from old one of CIS. In both cases the same two issues exists. When i had CIS 3.9, ther was no problem and switched to 3.10 and 3.11 it continues.

-virumandi

I tried clean installation more than 10-15 times with 3.8 and 3.9. But it never got solved. After detailed digging into the case only I opted for upgradation to SP3. I also didn’t have any download manager like getright. I feel that this has something to do with a partially corrupt SP2. Upgradation to SP3 normally updates all the crucial files and important updates of SP1 and SP2 and I feel this could be the reason why my case was solved.

One site told me it was because I have 9.0b directx through Dxdiag I realised that it was rightly so (9.0b) but even after updating to 9.0c my case was never solved. Just an updation to SP3 has solved my purpose. I went after this peculiar ‘0x80004002’ for more than six months and believe me I have actually run from pillar to post to solve it.

Whatever be the reason, in SP3 it never resurfaced and it was solved without any interference from Comodo because the same version (and same installer) which gave me ‘0x80004002’ error worked when I updated to SP3.

Of course CIS fully supports SP2 as my previous computer used to be SP2, but this one possibility with a partially corrupt SP2 could not handle it.

This is my personal view. You can also dig into it and if you are able to solve it on your own, and post how you did it, I think it would be great as we can guide any other person with the same problems.

One curious question. Which antivirus were you using prior to installation of CIS?

H layman,

Im not going to install sp3, its too big in size to download.
And i hav to work on to fix this issue.
I hav been using just CIS only, no one before.

But today i hav encountered another but same kind of issue.
I just installed MSE, and it passes Genune validation, but it didnt continue the intstallation, it says
“Installation discontinued due to the existence of OneCare or Forefront Security…”
Kind of error msg. But i didnt intsalled OneCare or Forefront Security…

-virumandi.

That was the reason why I asked you about the antivirus used by you. Antiviruses install hooks to scan files and make ‘legacy’ entries in the registry, which is very hard to remove. If the previous antivirus is not uninstalled properly, it may cause problems. I removed the antivirus manually and deleted the legacy keys also using regedit, as the antivirus could not be removed using the uninstaller. I somehow may have missed an entry. However, I could never have advised you to use regedit and dig into the problems considering its catastrophic effects. The safest option was to go for an upgrade to SP3, which automatically clear such things and give you the latest OS of XP range and also solves your purpose.

Any way better luck with your experiment. I think somebody can close this topic now.

We are gonna take a look to see if there are some old drivers of your previously uninstalled security programs are still around. Go to Device Manager → View → show hidden devices → now look under Non Plug and Play drivers → when you see a driver that belongs to your previous security programs click right → uninstall —> do this for all drivers → reboot your computer.

When the problem persists make sure there are noauto starts from your previous security programs download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries and then push F5 to refresh.

Now check all entries to see if there are references to your previous security program. When you find them untick them. After unticking reboot your computer and see what happens.

Does this help?