D+ installed separately?

Standing on the sidelines, chanting Go Go Go Go!

LOL, I honestly would have done it a couple of weeks ago before my last re-installation of Windows, but now it is crazily well set up and maintained so I think I’ll pass. Sorry. :-TD

LA

Ghost?

True Image?

Drive Backup?

Go on!

You know you wanna!

:BNC :BNC :BNC :BNC :BNC

Tell fracTure that instead. ;D

LA

I certainly wouldn’t attempt it without a fresh drive image. TI has gotten me out of several jams.

But that’s me. You’re the one who said, “The more we discuss this, the more tempted I get to try it.” Now that sounds like someone who is serious about discovery.

If there indeed is a conflict between ZoneAlarm and CFP 3, then hopefully the CFP installer would (or should) warn of this. I can personally verify that the CFP installer warns of incompatibility between System Safety Monitor and CFP 3, for example.

I do see a way to make this smooth, which I mentioned earlier - using ERUNT to backup my current registry. I have seriously considered it, and not yet decided what to do.

LA

Hey guys, some of you know me, I could never resist something like this. ;D

Here’s what I just did:

1 Unplugged network cable
2 Uninstalled CFP
3 Rebooted
4 Cleaned registry with CCleaner and RegSeeker
5 Rebooted
6 Installed ZA
7 Rebooted
8 Disabled ZA
9 Rebooted
10 Installed CFP (CFP advices me to uninstall ZA, uh! I’m so scared! 8))
11 Rebooted
12 Disabled CFP firewall part, deleted all rules and disabled and D+ (not permanentley)
13 Rebooted
14 Enabled ZA
15 Enabled D+
16 Connected network cable
17 Tested network related applications

It all worked fine and I couldn’t notice any conflicts, other than a personal inner conflict: it felt very weird to have these two firewalls at the same time… I did notice that CFP still seemed to monitor the network traffic, and even though it was disabled, it told me that system status was fine. I wouldn’t really agree with that, if I didn’t know that ZA was enabled.

Of course I should have rebooted again after step 17 to try more. I completely forgot that since I wanted to get rid of everything.

So my conclusion is that this seems to be possible, but it’s not a setup I feel comfortable with. Thus I can’t really recommend it.

LA

[attachment deleted by admin]

You could have ended the test by clicking the “Stop All Activities” link. Just pray it won’t ■■■■ up your computer (B).

If didn’t remove XP Firewall, you currently have 3 firewalls installed on one Operating System. That’s what I call a true Hero (:CLP)

How about this: I did. ;D

Now I’ve completely gone back to my original setup with CFP 3 only, and the registry should be clean. I didn’t use ERUNT though, instead I trusted the good old RegSeeker - very reliable. 88)

It’s not the end of the world if there is a little trace of ZA left in the registry, soon is SP3 here for XP => I’ll reformat anyway.

LA

I don’t know you anymore.

There you are.

Thanks (:SHY)

The Windows Firewall does have its icon in Control Panel, but I think I removed the associated service. This makes me wonder why I haven’t managed to completely get rid of Windows Firewall.

LA

If you have a router that’d be 4 firewalls :-TU :-TU :-TU :-TU.

When all pieces come together. (:HUG)

LOL, there’s no router here, I couldn’t find a freeware one.

LA

So CFP installer does warn about ZoneAlarm.

And neither would I (feel comfortable with it). Your recommendation is a good one. Thanks for testing!!

I am quite surprised at how well D+ has dealt with the black hole radiation :wink: https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/d_installed_separately-t21459.30.html.

Correct. ZA was completely disabled (as much as one can do from the GUI), but still running.

Just glad to help out!

Now, I know that Comodo aims to offer stand alone products as well as integrated products. However, what you are looking for is Defense+ stand alone - I have no idea whether they’ll actually make it separate from CFP and offer as a HIPS program.

I was attacked on April the 1st, but now the radiation has settled. :wink:

LA

I still have afterglow, hehe…