Current (3.0.164972.96) have differential or just Beta

Been waiting for CB differential feature. See suggestions or inferences it’s available in the current version (cited in subject) or in a beta version. Where to find the CB differential feature please? Thanks much, Diligent.

Download now the public realease and it has the option to make incremental or differential backups.

Incremental / differential backups are available in backup step 1.
Just choose “advanced mode”.

Thanks

Thanks Emanuel Sescu & Guillermo391

My current version of CB was installed on 10/19/10, for clarification.

[at] Emanuel

Thanks, I do see the full, differential & incremental options under under the BACKUP TYPE drop down menu in step 1. Also see the “advanced mode” once clicking the “simple mode” at the upper right.

Am I on the right track? whats next? Thanks much, Diligent.

Edit: FYI: https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t47847.0.html

Yes, you are on the right track.
You can also choose incremental simple copy or incremental .cbu file in backup step 1.

In Backup step 2, choose your destination.

In backup step 3 you can set macros for backup destination path.
This is important if you use cbu file backup and you don’t want all backups to be stored in the same cbu file.

In backup step 4 you can set different filters

In backup step 5 you can mail notification or different actions to take before/after a backup.

If you click on the clock icon you can set a schedule or else, after you run the backup you can save it as custom profile and re-run it with 1 click any time you want.

Thanks

OK Emanuel. Thanks for the verification, and also specific tips with a further general outline.

I know I need to wade through the particulars myself, or I will not master this CB program. So that is what I am proceeding to do. Do! Appreciate you being here to help in case I stumble.

One thing though, if you don’t mind. I realize that this subject may be one which would be best submitted in a new post so that all others will have the results of the discussion available on this specific subject, or perhaps as a bug or the sort. I’ll leave that decision to you. So here goes.

When one (as above mentioned) clicks on the “BACKUP TYPE” which reveals its drop down menu in step 1, there are three subjects to choose from, to wit: (1) Full, (2) Differential. or (3) Incremental.

Once one Then, clicks directly on one of these options, a description of that option appears.

These two option descriptions, are the subject problem that I am addressing:

Option 2 >> Differential: >> “A differential backup will backup only those files that have changed since the last full backup.”

Option 3 >> Incremental: >> “An incremental backup will backup only those files that have changed since the last full backup.”

Please note that the following, is the same in each above description: “…will backup only those files that have changed since the last full backup.”

Wikipedia (neutral definition I assume) states a definition for Incremenal and Differential backups See Incremental backup - Wikipedia
From a very brief Google-it search, similar differences between Incremental and Differential seem to exist.

The ONLY thing I am suggesting is that Comodo’s statement that “files that have changed since the last full backup” seems to be too general.

Perhaps, it will help Comodo with its user-customers (free or paid) if these two descriptions (of 2 and 3)
are RE-described more particularly as to their individualized, actual and particular, end result effects.

Hope you Comodo folks (staff, and users) understand I am helping not complaining.

MY Best, diligent

Ongoing progress edit: First, I think see why you said to go to advanced mode. But right now not fully sure. Second, it would be good I think to make available in this CB forum the pdf available on a Google-it search: “Comodo BackUp User Guide Ver3.0”. The difference between a Comodo differential & incremental backup are listed from P.62 thru P.70.

Hi

Actually the descriptions are:
Option 2 >> Differential: >> “A differential backup will backup only those files that have changed since the last full backup.”
Option 3 >> Incremental: >> “An incremental backup will backup only those files that have changed since the last backup.”

The main difference between these are when scheduling.
All incremental / differential backups must have a parent backup to relative to which the new incremental/differential is created.
For incremental the parent backup will be the last backup successfully created (full or incremental).
For differential the parent backup will always remain the same (full).

Thanks

ok, will study. Thanks. :slight_smile:

[quote …The main difference between these are when scheduling.
All incremental / differential backups must have a parent backup to relative to which the new incremental/differential is created.
For incremental the parent backup will be the last backup successfully created (full or incremental).
For differential the parent backup will always remain the same (full).

Thanks
[/quote]
OK, so “main” difference is scheduling. Am interested in that subject, though one subject at a time.

So far as non-scheduling: In particular just (1) simple word (use OpenSource) folder/file data backup in the .cbu file, (2) (in my case) once uploaded .cbu file to online storage (onebox as test) where I then fully eliminated CB in local system, (3) Then re-installed CB & downloaded .cbu file & restored same, >>> what is the advantage of differential vs. incremental backups.

Thanks. Diligent

See: https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t47847.0.html

The advantage of differential over incremental is that differential is smaller in size compared to incremental (doesn’t contain checksums) and quicker restore.
The disadvantage of differential over incremental is that a differential will contain all changes since full backup. So if one gigabyte of data changes since full backup that gigabyte of data will be present in all differentials, but if backups were incremental that gigabyte of data would have been present only in one incremental.
More information is available here: Comodo Help

Thanks.

again Thanks, will study further. Appreciated much! :slight_smile:

Uhh, OK maybe. I quote as to Comodo Help

Incremental Backup
The backup will contain only those files which are modified after any the last full, differential or incremental backup operation. The incremental backup consumes can consume less disk space than taking successive scheduled or manual full or differential backups as only the files which are modified after the last backup of any type, are stored in the backup location. In contrast to a differential backup, where the whole data set is covered by just two containers, taking regular incremental backups means that your data can be spread across multiple, smaller containers. The suggested file name of a incremental backup will have a suffix inc_files in it. e.g. filename_inc_files.cbu. Advantages of incremental backup – faster than differential backups because you are typically saving less files per operation; can consume less space than differential as you are saving only the data that has been modified since the last operation. Disadvantages – slower restore operations that must draw data from several containers.

Incremental Backup supports simple copy format for files and folders. While backing up for the first time, all the selected files and folders are copied to the destination and during subsequent executions, whether scheduled or custom profile backup job, only files that are altered are copied to the destination thus saving bandwidth if the backup destination is in the network, FTP or Comodo Online Storage.

Bolded “… simple copy…” cause to start simply want to backup OpenOffice .odt (word) files only. Can you pls clarify what this above bolded sentence means? Thanks again.

Incremental simple copy will copy only those files and directories that are new or changed since the last backup.
A file is considered to be changed only if it’s last time write time or it’s size is different.
If you want to backup only odt files in backup step 4 add “*.odt” as inclusion filter.

Thanks

“Simple copy format” means that CBU will read (for example) 3 folders containing 5 files each and will then write 3 folders containing 5 files each to the destination device. Each of the resulting files and folders on the destination device are immediately readable and usable by the operating system.

The alternative to this is a CBU copy, where the backup process reads files and folders but writes them all out to a single compressed archive on the destination drive. The archive cannot be opened and read by the operating system but can be mounted and read, or opened, read and restored by CBU.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

[at] Emanuel Sescu
[at] panic

I Thank both of you for your versions of one same answer and additional related information. Very Helpful!
Both of you saw ( I think) that while I had played with CB procedures, some additional info was needed.

I want to ask questions now, but think I had better study further to try this or that out on CB features and procedures, and then ask to clarify further if and when needed.

Thanks Much, Please stay tuned. Appreciate your time and assistance! Will be back soon. Diligent (Jim).

NP Jim. :wink:

IMHO, simple copy has the added advantage that the archived files and folders are readable by systems other than the one they were written from. In the event of a catastrophic failure on the source system, the user generated data (the files and folders) are immediately readable by another system.

CBU backup archives have an advantage in that they are NOT readable by systems that don’t have CBU on it. This is a big security plus for your archived material, depending upon the nature of the data being backed up.

Either way, CBU gives you the flexibility to choose an archival method that suit you, your data and the way you work.

Cheers,

Ewin:

OK, I now see the “simple copy” option in the Backup Format list (Step 1, Backup type).

How about this example to see if I am understanding “simple copy”. If I choose simple copy format for backing up a word document, that word document when backed up to an online destination from my computer with CB installed, can then be downloaded in readable form to my other (spare) computer w/o CB installed.

Is that the gen idea?

Thanks, Jim

Hey Jim,

Spot on! Simple copy is just that - copy the file excatly to another location so the result is two identical copies of the same file in two locations.

Simple copy is copy so the result is readable by a PC without CBU.
CBU copy is compress and squeeze into a CBU archive that is only readable by CBU.

hope this helps,

Good, thanks for your explanations. You also stated this (below):

If a CBU copy is compressed and squeezed, does that mean that a “simply copy” will take up more space online than a CBU copy, similar (I think) to a zipped file?

Thanks again Ewen. Jim

Correct, mostly. :wink:

If you have a single Word doc that is 20KB in size. A simple copy operation would results in a replica that is also 20KB in size. Using minimal compression, a CBU copy of the file may actually end up 1 or 2KB bigger due to overhead in creating the archives internal structure.

On the other hand, a simple copy operation of 20 X 20KB Word docs would result in 20 X 20KB replicas. A CBU copy of 20 X 20KB docs would result, even with minimal compression, in a CBU archive considerably smaller that 400KB (20 X 20KB).

File size savings are largely determined by the nature and the quantity of the file objects being archived.

The same thing happens with ZIP files.

Cheers,