[CRITICAL BUG] CPF.exe and User Profile Hives.

Tarun,

As I understand from Comodo Admins regarding their Support system, the Status automatically shows as “Closed” when it is awaiting a response (ie, the users, developers, etc). We had a long conversation about how confusing this is (from my standpoint), but apparently it is not something they can change at the present.

At any rate, the point of it is, a Status of “Closed” apparently does not mean that they are doing nothing further with it. IMO, it’s a good idea to “bump” them periodically on it, if you haven’t heard back (as you are doing).

LM

PS: UPHC gives a ■■■■■-load of stuff on mine, but not related to CFP… :frowning:

Hi,

If the problem you have also appears in version 3 then please post the issue on the forum, that is where all BETA related issued are handled.

As for version 2, the development team are not resolving any further issues as version 3 will be released in November (no planned date yet), so all resources are working on that release.

Garry

Garry,

Do you mean that for the moment all resources are going toward v3, and that Support will continue for v2.4 following v3’s release?

Or do you mean that because Comodo is planning on releasing v3 for XP and Vista that there will be no more support for v2.4 for W2K-family users?

Tnx,

LM

Hi,

My understanding is that V3 is a replacement for V2…I might be wrong.

At the moment we are notifying the developers of any reported issue so they can work to avoid the same issue in V3.

Garry

Garry,
As you can see in this post above, the issue occurs in v3 as well.

I also believe it would be in the best interest of the Comodo team to at the very least resolve this issue in v2.x in case there are some users who would prefer not to upgrade. Plus it would be nice to have a stable 2.x version that does not keep the profile hives locked since v3 is still in beta.

That’s my understanding as well, in general. However, the statement has been made that since v3 will not support the W2K-family of OS’s that those users will need to stick with 2.4. Melih has said (I know thru PM, if not publicly) that they will begin working on resolving outstanding issues following v3’s final release.

I hope that you’re wrong, Garry, for the sake of the W2K users… (and, as Tarun has pointed out, those that don’t want to go with v3)

LM

Hello Tarun, Little Mac, Garry

I did the above test out of curiosity to what Tarun found. I really know nothing about this problem and so do not feel qualified to file a support ticket. If someone would like to fill me in on what problems this will cause or what security risk it is I would be happy to learn about it, and will take every step possible to help solve this for you. CFP v. 3.0.9.229 is working wonderfully on my system and is not slow and does not cause conflict with anything else. The only little problem that I have is that the GUI takes several minutes to initialize. This does not in any way affect the function of the f/w.

Hope to hear from you

John

John,

This is taken from UPHC’s “readme” file:

WHY DO PROFILES NOT UNLOAD? ===========================

Many system and service processes do work on behalf of users. When the work
is done the system or service process is responsible for releasing handles it
has to the user profile hive. If this is not done by the service as the user
logs off the profile cannot be unloaded.

This problem in code can be caused by improper coding either in Microsoft
software or 3rd party software (e.g. printer drivers, virus scanner service,
etc). With the information provided by the system there is no way to find
out what software needs to be corrected to allow profiles to unload.

This problem can be caused for a variety of reasons. While software developers
are typically very careful about releasing handles, developing software that
works on behalf of a logged on user is complicated. It is difficult for
software developer to have full control over how the registry is accessed.
Service developers might want to see KB article 199190 for more information.

While it is possible to identify the service (see KB article 221833), it is
sometimes difficult to track this down the specific problem code. Even when
you do identify the problem code there maybe times when the developer of this
code is not able to make the necessary changes. This is the reason for
UPHClean – it takes care of the problem regardless of the reason why.

AFAIK, the UPH not properly unloading is not a security risk; it is more of a stability/resource issue (especially for those using Roaming Profiles on a network). Whenever possible, it is preferable for each software developer to try to make sure their software is releasing any handles it has in other applications/system processes. This will simply help things run more smoothly.

My suggestion to you would be to get UPHCleanup utility (available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en)
and configure it in accordance with the Readme file’s instructions to generate appropriate output/reports.

Then you can take those (if they show CFP v3 not releasing properly) and post in the appropriate Bug Reporting thread for v3 (ie, 32 or 64-bit). Attach the output/report from UPHC for the developers using the Additional Options (bold red font) below your text box (.txt or .zip archive format).

LM

Thanks Little Mac

I really hesitated to get involved in this because CFP beta 3 has been working so well for me, and I know so little about what this thread mentions. However I will send my report to the bug section of CFP Beta.

Thanks for your help

John

No problem, John. I understand you don’t want to risk life and limb when all is going well. UPHC won’t do any harm; if everything is working as it should, the service will do nothing. If the hive’s not being unloaded properly, it will help. You shouldn’t notice any negative impact on your system, and it’s a good time to check out v3’s “Installation Mode.”

Appreciate your willingness to help make v3 better; that’s what Beta-testing is all about.

LM

Ok LM

It is done see https://forums.comodo.com/32_bit_bug_reports/cfp_3beta_user_profile_hives-t13739.0.html;msg96205#msg96205

John

I had no end of problems when I installed UPHClean, all of which went away when I uninstalled the program. It myght be an idea to try this…

Toggie

What kind of problems did you encounter when installing UPHClean? I have not noticed any problems and I only installed it out of curiosity as I read the above OP. When I saw the results of the events logged I realized that the same thing was happening in v 3 Beta as Tarun noted in v 2.4.

Maybe it is a nothing issue but I entered my log results in CFP Beta 32 Bug Reports and will let the devs. decide that. According to Tarun it is a major issue but I am not knowledgeable enough in this particular area to know.

John

UPHClean does not cause any problems at all, it’s a safe program.

I believe that Toggie is trying to say is that problems he had with hives not being unloaded went away when he uninstalled the application that failed to release the hive.

The problems I encountered with UPHClean began when I installed the application. Shortly after installation, I noticed a sharp rise in the number of 1000 and 1500 error messages in the event log, I also noticed a decrease in the time it took for the PC to shut down (no real supprise as UPHClean was set to forceaby release registry hooks.) After removing the application, these problems went away.

To my mind, I believe it’s very difficult to determine the cause of a problem, such as a handle not being released in the registry, by any given application, simply because there are too many interdependancies to specifically point the finger.

I am, however, willing to accept that some people have encountered this problem whilst a many have not. It may well be there is a common factor between those that have…

Unfortunately you are incorrect.

The “sharp rise” in the error messages is letting you know of hive unloading problems. UPHClean is not to blame for that, rather it’s like a flashlight by shining light on the problems and bringing them to your attention. Just because you uninstalled UPHClean doesn’t mean that the problems are gone. In fact they still exist if you did not fix them. You even admitted that your computer was shutting down faster. That’s because the stuck profiles were properly unloaded by UPHClean.

Never mind…

I clicked your link but the thread cannot be found is what the board reports, yet navigating to the 32-bit report section the post exists. Guess it got broken when the critical bug was merged.

Hello Tarun

The link was not changed when the post was moved. Here is the new link

John

The dev team simply says they are “looking into it”. Would be nice to get more information than a generic reply.