[CRITICAL BUG] CPF.exe and User Profile Hives.

Thanks to UPHClean, I’ve bee able to find out why my profiles are refusing to unload on shutdowns and reboots.

Log:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: UPHClean
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1401
Date: 9/9/2007
Time: 1:42:08 AM
User: COMPUTER\Administrator
Computer: COMPUTER
Description:
The following handles in user profile hive COMPUTER\Administrator (S-1-5-21-) have been remapped because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

cpf.exe (656)
HKCU\Software\Classes (0x7c)
HKCU (0xc8)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows (0x120)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer (0x360)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts (0x368)
HKCU\Software\Classes (0x370)
HKCU\Software\Classes (0x3e0)
HKCU\Software\Policies (0x3f8)
HKCU\Software (0x3fc)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam (0x420)
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache (0x424)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Microsoft Support.

I would hope this critical bug is acknowledged and addressed soon.

This is a very bad bug. UPHClean is not meant to be used as a fix for this and similar issues relating to the registry hive.

Is there any word from the staff or devs about this bug?

If Windows and all applications run on it functioned in a perfect fashion (which they obviously don’t) there wouldn’t be a need for UPHC.

I don’t know whether this is a bug in CFP, or something due to specific configuration; if it’s a bug in CFP, it’s not one that impacts all users (which makes it difficult to track and resolve).

What version of CFP are you running?

What other active security and utility software do you have running?

LM

The log clearly states it is caused by Comodo. I have spoken with Microsoft and they have confirmed that it’s a Comodo issue. I have also confirmed that others are having the same issue, and it also occurs on other machines in my household.

Comodo 2.4.18.184 is all that is running.

Tnx for the info, Tarun. I’m going to see if any other Moderators are aware of solutions for the issue.

LM

I don’t have a solution, but I’ve posted related threads:
https://forums.comodo.com/help/event_viewer_warning-t6143.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/help/shutdown_problems_win_xp_pro_sp2-t10006.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/help/event_warnings_lead_to_uphclean_identifing_cpfexe_locking_registry_hive-t8012.0.html

Nice to hear that this bug has been confirmed by others as well. Hopefully v3 will have the fix and for those wishing to stay with v2 there can be a minor update to resolve the issue.

Any word from the devs on this bug? Will this be fixed for the next 2.4 or for the upcoming 3.x?

here’s the situation:
file a support ticket - Comodo staff pass it to the devs, but they’re all busy at CFP 3 right now
or
beta version 3 right now and see if it works for your computer

apparently this issue doesn’t affect everyone

Where would I file a support ticket?

Also, this issue is affecting everyone that I’ve spoken with. Most users may not notice it with or without UPHClean. But if many people are posting about it then clearly there is an issue.

http://support.comodo.com/ You will need to create a login there; the forum login does not cross over. Also, you will have to navigate through the options to get to the Desktop Security Products and select Firewall; it does not default there.

Be sure to let them know that you have already been in the forums (providing them a link to this thread would be a good idea), and that a Moderator in the forums requested you file a ticket with Support.

Be sure to keep us apprised of their response, and be patient, as the majority of resources are going into finalizing v3 at the moment.

LM

They requested a screenshot and are looking into the issue.

Tnx for the followup, Tarun! Keep us posted…

LM

Over one week later, no replies or updates.

I myself have the same problem, it is not just one person.

I have not heard anything from support since 2007-09-26.

Tarun,

I’ve requested an update on the ticket.

LM

I don’t know if this is significant but v 3.0.9.229 gives me the same results.

John

[attachment deleted by admin]

I also emailed them after I posted here and got a fairly generic reply.

Hi Tarun,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

our developers are working on this issue, we will get back to you once we get the solution.
Regards
Stewart
Technical Support

Ticket Details

Ticket ID: EJZ-989317
Department: PC Security Software
Priority: Urgent

I like how they set the status to closed…

I replied with,

Is there a reason why this issue has been set to closed? Due to it being an ongoing issue, including in v3.0 of the firewall; I would think this should remain open.
Also linked them to this thread.