CRISIS: apparent FATAL conflict with Microsoft Update

This is just a quick post to open this Topic to alert COMODO and others.
I will continue to update the Topic with more information until the issue is resolved.

My system was running normally with CIS installed when I was notified of 3 new Microsoft Updates by Automatic Update, and I then installed them.

During the installation of Windows Updates there was one alert from CIS during the installation, and I responded by treating and remembering the application as an Installer. This shouldn’t have happened!

Restart was required after installation of Windows Updates. When I tried to log back on, Windows notified me that it was unable to load my profile due to security settings, and a new default desktop was loaded.

I used System Restore to successfully roll back the Microsoft Updates and return to normal after the reboot.

This time I used manual Microsoft Update to install all updates available (2 optional in addition to the 3 critical).

After restart my normal desktop appeared, but Windows then became completely unresponsive – my mouse cursor would move, but I couldn’t start any application, not even Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del. I was forced to power off to continue.

I rebooted into Safe Mode, and again used System Restore to successfully roll back the Microsoft Updates and return to normal after the reboot.

I uninstalled CIS, and again used manual Microsoft Update to install all updates available, this time without problem.

Thus I conclude that there is some sort of fatal conflict between CIS and Microsoft Update. I shudder at the fact that I have several friends using CIS on my recommendation that may run into the same problem. I ask COMODO to treat this as a crisis and advise me as soon as possible on what I can do.

I am willing to roll my system back and run tests, but only within the next few hours.

Thank you,
John

CIS Version

System Information
OS information: Microsoft Windows XP
OS version: 5.10.2600 Service Pack 3
Processor: x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6
Memory: 2,095,984 kb

Microsoft Updates
Silverlight Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB960353)
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB967715)
Windows XP Update for Root Certificates
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB961118)
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB959772)

After starting this Topic 477 became available, and Release Notes suggested fixes in 477 might apply to this issue, so I tested it as follows:

• Uninstalled CIS
  • System Restore back to early this morning before all this happened
  • Uninstalled CIS (restored by System Restore)
  • Clean new install of CIS 471
  • Used normal Update in CIS to 477
  • Used Automatic Windows Update to install the 3 critical updates
  • Used manual Windows Update to install the 2 optional updates

After all this the system was still running properly, so I conclude the problem was caused by 471, and fixed in 477. (I’m now cleaning up the debris from the multiple System Restores.)

While it’s to the credit of COMODO that 477 fixed the problem and that it became available in the same time frame, it’s still very unfortunate that 471 had such a serious problem and that 477 didn’t become available sooner.

I’ve previously written that 3.8 was “not ready for prime time” (largely because of increased false positives). I now elevate that to “near disaster”, and hope that COMODO has learned important lessons that will help avoid such serious problems in the future. It’s critical not to push out automatic updates that might result in problems like 3.8.

John