CrashPlan problem

Hi everyone,
I have CrashPlan 3.4.1 and the latest Comodo Firewall.
I just can’t allow CrashPlan to work properly; i set the application as “allowed” and created a global rule as suggested here https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/utorrent-portable-rules-t59016.0.html;prev_next=next , but it doesn’t work.
In “Whatch Activity”, I see this http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/comodocrashplan.jpg .
Even if i disable Comodo firewall in advanced settings, Crashplan won’t start.
If I uninstall Comodo, Crashplan works perfectly.
Any suggestions? Thank you!

did you turn off hips and behavior blocker to see what it did so you could see if it was hips or behavior blocker might need a rule added.

Yes I did, I turned off but it still doesn’t work. What I don’t understand is that when I launched for the first time CrashPlan, I was asked to allow the program. It appears to be the only program with this behavior.

Can you show a screenshot of your Global Rules and Application Rules?

Were you ever able to resolve this issue? I am running into the same thing where Comodo is preventing the backup engine for Crashplan from loading.

Thanks!

This problem is likely related to D+ or Sandbox. Can you post screenshot of the D+ logs or of Killswitch showing CrashPlan running?

It’s great to have a place like this forum, for the purpose of solving our issues.

I have the same problem. What was the solution provided ?

I’ve applied everything above with no success. I’ve even created exceptions for Crashplan’s exes not to be sandboxed, with no success.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Hi Eric,

Sure, here they are. I’ve also included the firewall event log.
I’ve launched both the Systray engine and the desktop version of Crashplan. None connect.
I’ve allowed every alert received by CIS. I even tried lower firewall and D+ mode.

Another point is that CrashPlan was already installed on my computer, and happily working through the formerly installed Sunbelt Kerio Firewall. Nothing changed on the router side either.

Thanks for your help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I just installed a trial for Crashplan to see with my own eyes. I installed it on Windows 8 x86 and it is uploading as I type.

I don’t get events logged in the D+ logs which is different from your situation. What OS are you using?

Please make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of “strange effects”. Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: ESET Knowledgebase .

Thank you, Eric, for your time spent on this issue.

I’m running Windows XP.

I never had a zillion security programs on this computer. I did the cleaning anyway, but it didn’t change the situation.

Out of curiosity, I closed down Comodo Firewall completely to see that Crashplan was still unable to function.
I’ve also uninstalled Comodo Firewall and experienced Crashplan going back to normal. And when I did that, my Internet connection was off, and I realized Crashplan’s icon was “green”.

So actually, the problem is not the link out to the Net per say, but that the agent is “unable to connect to the back up engine”, as stated by Crashplan itself when using the firewall.
Apparently, that engine is a process run locally, and that is what Comodo Firewall once installed (even if it’s not running), prevents access to.
So to me, it’s definitely not a D+ or Firewall issue, but more something prevented from what the whole install does.

In conclusion, I experience the same issue as the others in this thread. Nothing say what they did with this situation, as they left with no update, and I can’t afford to stop using Crashplan, no matter how hard I love and want to use CIS.

I’m happy it is no longer an issue with a newer OS like Windows 8.

Any suggestions ?

Today I also get the it cannot connect to the back up engine. It worked before I rebooted the system I would say. I will try to look a bit deeper into this.

Edit. First hit was going to services control manager. Although Crashplan service is set to start with Windows automatically it was not running. Switching on the service fixed it. When I started the program it worked.

Next question is why the service is not starting with Windows. Or may be it is crashing. Services will not restart themselves by default. You can change that though in the Properties of the service…

Let me go check the logs in Event Viewer to see if crashplan service has crashed. No crash logged.

As a workaround you can try setting Recovery options of crashplan service to always restart it after a crash after 0 days and 0 minutes.

Can people who replied in this topic confirm that this problem with Crashplan only occurs with Comodo Firewall or Internet Security installed and not when using another security program instead of Comodo’s?

Hum… that’s odd, because one of the first move I tried is to go in the Crashplan folder, and double clicked on the CrashPlanService.exe icon, without a change in the situation.

Right now, I’m on trial with BitDefender Internet Security 2013 and Crashplan works fine after allowing the service executable.

I’ve just changed the recovery settings on the service to autorestart, and I’m off to uninstall BitDefender and set back Comodo Firewall up and give it a go.

I’ll let you know the result. Thanks Eric.

Ok, the issue is SOLVED :slight_smile:
Getting the service to restart automatically, and allowing D+ and Firewall to run it worked for me.

Thank you again Eric, for your time and effort. I’m definitely moving up to CIS !

I just installed Comodo Internet Security on a WinXP machine and am having this issue. The CrashPlan service will no longer start. I’ve tried adding it to the exclusions list for both the Antivirus and Defender portions of CIS, as well as setting the service to restart on failures, but to no avail.

Help!