CPU usage too high...

Tech, are you being facetious? (:CLP)

Tech:

I forgot to mention, because it sliped my mind, I turned off behavioral analysis for a few days a while back and I did not have the disk activity I spoke of and presumably the high cpu that comes with it.

I enabled it at some point which is why (IMO) the problem returned.

At this point I disabled only a few things; COM/OLE, Windows Messages, DNS queries. Let’s see if I can narrow it down to one thing.

A bit ;D
Well, let’s face on the problem itself :wink:

For the ones that say avast! slows down a system…
What Really Slows Windows Down

Fantastic tests (L)

Well, for me I already narrowed it down to the Monitor DLL Injections, hence why I mentioned it before. I bet it’s that.

Thanks Pacman, I’ll give a try but, fortunatelly, it is not happening anymore so, right now, I’ll let the things as they are (V)

I had some other options turned off but not this one and the problem happened again just a little while ago. I’ll turn off Injections and see what happens. I have a hunch this might do the trick as you have found out.

No I do not can you help me out?

The last stable and the actual beta versions are giving the same problem.
When I open quite some (10-20) pages in Maxthon Beta (2.0.1.1276) and I’m using avast! Professional (4.7.892) (with ScriptBlocker and WebShield active). I thought the beta will ‘reduce’ the annoyance, but it doesn’t… :‘(
If I can discover what is conflicting…
I disable Comodo and start Windows XP SP2 firewall and everything works fine.
There is not a situation when other process takes all the CPU (I mean, avast does not take it, neither other process, at any time). Just Comodo, from time to time… :-\ :’(

I don’t want to go back to ZoneAlarm :cry:

Aw, come one, Tech! You can gun your CPU once in a while. It won’t hurt it. Actually, you need to figure out what allocated thread(s) under the Comodo process is being maxed out to figure out what the problem is. I count about 6 threads under Comodo Agent Service process and about 8 under Comodo Firewall process. What is Maxthon?

For whatever it is worth, I’ve noticed the occassional spike under the Comodo Agent Service. I’ve also noticed that CPU goes up to 99-100% when posting on this forum (Internet Explorer) and is allocated about evenly between Comodo Service Agent and the browser itself. I think you’re just seeing normal CPU usage. Don’t worry so much.
(CWY)

Yes it will hurt Cupeper… it tooks two or three minutes to release the computer to me…
I can’t stand just looking the computer acting like this. It’s not normal.

When I’ll get time in the future… I’ll wait next Comodo version.

Can you check if it is caused during the peerguardian updates? On my machine it does it sometimes.

The simplier way to bypass the problem is to deactivate network monitor for a couple of seconds and reactivate it again.

Hi guys :slight_smile:
Sorry for posting in Tech’s thread, but yesterday Comodo was using almost 100% of my CPU, and it was driving me crazy, so i had to uninstall it .BTW i checked the processes with Process Explorer by Sysinternals and yes it was Comodo that had 97-99% USAGE of CPU. I guess that there is some conflict with avast, maybe ??? so i hope that Comodo Team is working on this problem, i don’t want to give up on CPF!
Regards,
Snezana

Yes I have PeerGuardian. But it’s not active. This does not happen while PG is updating.
By the way, PG is very slow on ‘refreshing’ lists after the update. On my machine it does it sometimes.

Ok, but it shouldn’t act this way, don’t you think so?

I’m not alone, other users have trouble too :cry:

How come Comodo has to work around Avast? Avast is a great big fat pig. How many more shields can Avast come up with?
(:TNG)

Have you tried to add every dll in Avast folder to Component monitor in CPF?
It might have dll’s in some system folder as well. Add them too.
This “might” prevent the monitor dll injections from hogging Avast up.
Do the same with any other program you suspect dll problems with.

If that doesn’t work, delete the Application rules for Avast, and go to security/advanced/misc and uncheck “do not show alerts…” and raise the alert frequency level slider to the top.
Also uncheck auto update to exclude that.
Personally I also have both “skip loopback…TCP/UDP” checked there.
Reboot.
Now, allow and remember everything from Avast.

To check if Avast is connecting at the same time as cmdagent gets up to 100% you might be able to see it if you use a program like TCPView and look at it when the cpu goes up, and see if there is something that connects at the same time.
I hope that you will get rid of it soon…
Have you submitted a support ticket?

AOwL™, first of all, many thanks for the support and taking me into account with this.
Right now, I have to install Comodo again. I’ll do it with the beta, or do you prefer I install the last stable one?

Well… Why should I do that? avast only needs access for these components:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner) (allow server rights; access to ports 80, 443; accept connections from localhost on ports 12080)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service) (allow email rights: outgoing on ports 110, 25 and 119; accept connections from localhost on ports 12110, 12025, 12119)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Nothing more… not a dll… So, will it help to add them to the component monitor?

I guess I don’t know the exactly function of this Comodo feature. Sorry.

There is some drivers (.sys) and not dll as far I know. But I will research.

I’ll test this if necessary.

I have TCPView and the most probably ashWebSv.exe is what is scanning the http traffic when the CPU raises…

No… I just ask here in forum. I believe in forum help like you could notice by avast forum :wink:

Do it with beta.
Uninstall your previous firewall. When you have booted up again, I recommend that you clean your registry with Easycleaner or similar.
Now install.
Remember to install with “auto”.
When you have restarted the PC, do a “scan for known applications” in security tasks,
In the same place, “add a new trusted network”, if you have a router/network.

Try the suggestions in my other post if you still have the same problems.

About DLL’s, there was a user that said that turning off “monitor DLL injections” solved his problem. So adding them might help. It may be a long shot, but try it… ;D

Be sure that ashWebSv.exe is in application monitor.

If you do what i say in the other post, you will get A LOT of poups, but that will help you narrow down the rules.

Try it, and post the results later… :wink:

Done.

I’ve just used Windows Firewall meanwhile… no need to further cleaning.

Done all.

Disabling this option (monitor DLL injections) seem to solve everything… I’m not experiencing troubles since from yesterday… I’ll keep trying.

Disabling this option (monitor DLL injections) seem to solve everything... I'm not experiencing troubles since from yesterday... I'll keep trying.
Hi Tech ;D

That is great news, i will wait for few days and if you are still not having any troubles i will follow you steps, and i will see what i get. Hope for the best :smiley: