CPF 2.4 Does not start instantly upon startup [Resolved]

CFP does not start at startup. Unfortunately, I installed CFP last after my other spyware/virus programs. I don’t mind starting it myself when I come on line. I rather do that then uninstall my antivirus/spyware and CFP and reinstall with CFP being the first program to install. Is that ok?

With Little Mac’s guidance here is my scenario:

After my desktop is fully loaded, there is no CPF icon in my systray. I opened Task Manager and went to the Processes tab. There is no CPF.exe. CmdAgent.exe is present.

After I launch CPF and there is an icon in the systray, I opened Task Manager again and looked in the Processes tab. Both CPF.exe and CmdAgent.exe are now present.

I will need some help in checking Services and Non PlugNplay drivers when everyone is ready.

Thanking you in advance.

Eln

Hi elnlou, Click on Start > Run and type in services.msc then click on OK, go down the list that appears until you find Comodo Application. Is this entry set to Automatic? If not right click on it select Properties and change the Startup type entry by clicking on the drop down box and selecting Automatic, click on Apply and Ok.

regards HL

It doesn’t have to do with services, as cmdagent.exe is the service, cfp.exe is the GUI.
Open Run and write “msconfig” and click the tab Autostart. Is there an entry for cfp.exe?

Cheers,
Ragwing

Hi

** FAQs/Threads - Read Me First **

[b]Firewall Doesn't Automatically Start Up[/b] https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2728.0.html https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6515.0.html https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,9894.0.html

Bye

elnlou,

ragwing’s correct; if you have cmdagent in the running processes, the core of the fw is running; what you are apparently missing is the startup menu entry for cfp.exe (the gui, or user-end of the app).

The links Soya posted all address this. If you need to add the entry, this post should help.

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v2/is_the_firewall_started_or_not-t9894.0.html;msg71865#msg71865

Let us know if you have other questions on that, if it works like a charm, etc.

LM

PS: glad your printing is working now

Hi,

Sorry but I still don’t understand how, and where I am suppose to add the CFP startup entry in the registry. Where do I add this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run with the String value “C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe” /background

I know registry stuff can be very tricky so I want to be very careful. ???

Thanks.

Eln

Just open start menu, click Run and type regedit or regedt32, and click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, find Microsoft, then Windows, after that CurrentVersion and finally Run(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) and add a new String value. Name it Comodo Firewall Pro or something, then right-click and choose Edit and write “C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe” /background .

Cheers,
Ragwing

I added this startup entry in my registry and CPF still is not starting up–i.e., icon does not appear in systray unless I double click on the desktop icon. I even copied the string here to make sure there were no typos. Here is a webshot of my registry. Any clues to what is happening?

If I look into Task Manager there is no CPF.exe but there is Cmdagent.exe before launch. After launch both CPF.exe and Cmdagent.exe appear. If I look into the misconfig startup tab CPF is in there checked and everything. ???

I’m confused.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You could try creating a shortcut to cpf.exe (usually found here: C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall) and then put the shortcut into the startup folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

:SMLR

I actually did not download CPF to the default folder. Does that matter? Anyway, the short cut is already in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. Thanks anyway…

Oh, if both are showed as running in task manager, then take a look here:

System Tray Icon Does Not Appear on Taskbar
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1732.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1803.0.html

Cheers,
Ragwing

I’m going to try the Start Delay program. Stay tuned and thanks!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :BNC

Perhaps CPF did not end up originally in the startup registry when first installed, BUT MY attempts to edit (fix) the registry were very sloppy. I also neglected to let YOU know that I put the application in another path (not “Program Files”) and perhaps that is why it never ended up in the right place to begin with. It started to dawn on me when I did a registry cleanup with RegSeeker (I was extremely conservative doing this) and the CPF registry entry showed with a “path does not exist” comment.

I don’t know if this was an added problem but when I named the registry entry I reversed the letters and put it as “CFP” instead of “CPF”. I fixed that. Then, I changed the path to where I put the actual application (not "C:\Program Files"). Finally, I saw this written here 2 different ways on this forum:

“C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe” /background
“C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe” / background (I used this one with my customized program file path)

It is so important to get it exact and to follow through everywhere with the correct spelling and correct directory paths.

BTW, before the light went on in my head, I did a disk clean up, disk defrag, the uPNP service Ostuni workaround and disabled about 4 unnecessary programs at startup. These did not work but clearly they did not hurt either.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP & SUPPORT (literally)!!! I have learned so much. Special thanks to Ragwing and Little Mac. :■■■■

You’re awesome!!

Yes, not accepting the default install path can cause problems. I’m glad you got it figured out, resolved it, and learned some good things in the process! (:CLP)

I’ll mark the topic as resolved, and close it. If you need it reopened, just PM a Moderator (please include a link back here) and we’ll be glad to do so.

LM

Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano

Glad you fixed it! ;D

Little Mac, did you fall asleep? :smiley:
Since Little Mac’s sleeping, I’ll do the job lol (:SHY)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
Ragwing

Yep, that’s what happened (or ~cat~'s “fourteen reasons” pic scared me). Tnx for picking up the slack!