Constant popup about avast! starting sf.bin

I can’t seem to find how to stop this popup from appearing every time there is a new program (and every time avast updates it’s virus definitions it starts again).

Is the only alternative to disable defense + completely?

I met this problem too, waiting for official response

At the next popup of CIS for sf.bin, reply by “treat this application as updater/installer and remember my answer” and CIS won’t ask you again.

that does not work either, at least it hasn’t worked for me.
i even tried adding the following as a trusted application and that did not work:
c:\program files\alwil software\avast5\defs*\sf.bin
this is totally frustrating because avast changes the defs folder (the * in the above line) with each virus def update

:frowning:

Hi,

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs(numbers)\Sf.bin is run as an executable by C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe. So when Def+ popups for Sf.bin, the alert should tell that AvastSvc.exe wants to run Sf.bin. Then it is at AvastSvc.exe that you should give the status of installer/updater.

Boris

i did do that (so i thought) and it didn’t work, that is why i came to the forum.

last night i went to Computer Security Policy and edit the Custom Policy of AvastSvc.exe, go to Access Rights, then Modify the Run an Executable and add the path C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\defs*\Sf.bin.

Have a look at the answer I made in a very similar post. I can not say more.

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/cis-firewall-doesnt-remember-approval-to-allow-avast-av-avastsvcexe-t70046.0.html;msg497563#msg497563

thanks for the info boris. i am still using v5. so far so good with the change i described above. no complaints from cis today after the defs update. but the day is not over, lool.

i also note that since i’ve been trying to fix this issue i have 2 defs folders now. one for yesterday and one for today.