Conflict with Apache?

I installed CAV yesterday afternoon. This morning, I noticed that the computer was sluggish and the fan was running all the time. I have XAMPP for Windows (which some will know is an easy to install setup of Apache, which I use for testing web stuff offline) on my computer and I saw that Apache was constantly using 50 - 60% of the CPU time.

When I looked in the logs folder, I saw that there was a 150MB error log file there. Finding something that would open it was a challenge, but when I eventually managed it, I found that it was full of errors like this:

[Mon May 22 16:19:44 2006] [error] (OS 10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. : Child 232: Encountered too many errors accepting client connections. Possible causes: dynamic address renewal, or incompatible VPN or firewall software. Try using the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive.

at a rate of several per second, ever since I installed Comodo AntiVirus, and they carried on this morning when the computer was restarted. Although the error appears related to a firewall I should point out that I have not installed the Comodo Firewall, and in fact have no firewall running on this computer, not even the Windows XP SP2 one, since I have a hardware firewall that protects the whole network. Any ideas?

:o

Hi techpro,

I’ve got the same problem. Most suggestions from websites focus on ignoring the error by using the “Win32DisableAcceptEx directive”. I’m not comfortable in this way. Have you found solutions?

Regards,
Sofic

Funny you should reawaken this thread, I was just looking to add a comment to it. I just tried Apache again, hoping that Comodo’s developers may have acted on my report and fixed it. As you just found, they haven’t.

So I solved the problem by uninstalling Comodo AntiVirus.

I have the same problem. I had to uninstall AVG as AV software, as the AV email plugin was taking too long to get through the firewall. Upon installing CAV, Apache went wild. 10-15 times a second I have this error:

Fri Aug 04 23:21:37 2006] [error] (OS 10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. : Child 608: Encountered too many errors accepting client connections. Possible causes: dynamic address renewal, or incompatible VPN or firewall software. Try using the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive.

I am running a mirror for a BOINC project’s science applications. It would be nice to find a middle way between not having Apache run wild (80-99% CPU cycles) and still be able to get to my email.

Windows 2000 SP4
Apache 2.0.55
CPF 2.2.0.11
CAV 1.0.0.30

Jord.

Got the same problem with Apache 2 running on my machine. Same errors in error log as techpro and a slow and unresponsive system forced me to uninstall CAV. After uninstall, everything went back to normal. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the next update.

Despite these difficulties I love your products and business model! Will certainly consider buying SSL certificate here.

I am having a problem, sounds similar/the same.
Running am Apache2Triad (Apache 2 + MYSQL +PHP) development environment on my local computer for website development.
Since installing CAVS I haven’t been able to view localhost through a web browser. Also running CPF but have given Apache the permissions to act.
I’ve tried turning CAVS off, but no luck. Will now try uninstalling CAVS. Also, wrongfully sees SlimFTP (part of Apache2Triad) as a virus.
Generally, I really appreciate what Comodo is doing with these free things, and look forward to them getting even better.
I’m not that technical, but please advise if/how I can supply any reports/info to help on this.

Windows XP Pro SP2
A2T 1.5.4
CAVS Beta 1.1
CPF 2.3.5.62

G’day,

I believe, but not 100% certan, that the locally installed instance of apache will be using the 127 local loopback interface. If this is indeed the case, please make sure that you have not selected to block the 127.0.0.0 subnet, during the setup of CPF.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Thanks for that Ewen.
I have uninstalled CAVS but still running CPF. and Apache now seems to be running fine. So, I must assume it was a problem with CAVS and not CPF.
I’ll wait until the next release of CAVS (next week some time?) then give it another spin. Hopefully the new version won’t cause this problem, or some one/I will idenitfy specific cause of the problem by then.
By the way Ewen, how would I know if I had selected to block the 127.0.0.0 subnet?
ps. Excellent forums/community here, even though I personally hate smilies!

During the installation of CPF, IF you selected to do a (I think it’s called this) Advanced install (for power users), you can elect to block or allow traffic on the 127.X.X.X subnet.

Cheers,

I also have had problems with CAV and wamp5 unfortunatly I had to re-install windows xp

This is easy enough to fix:

Put the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive in your httpd.conf

This will force apache to use accept() instead of the non-standard, ms exclusive acceptEx()–which creates the conflict with CAV and others.

The difference? MS rolled a lot of the preliminary connection activities into one step. This is good if you do many sessions at once, but most folks that are using Apache on Windows are not in production, so you see no difference. We have a large production web service (we run that on 64bit NSA Linux), but profiling the windows port (which we use for development) shows that we spend very little time (less than a fraction of 1%) in connection, compared to the rest. So it seems a good tradeoff for AV protection.

I am not sure why one would be uncomfortable in moving away from a non-standard, MS only acceptEX() (it is not in WinSock spec) to an interface that is a standard…but that is for them to decide.

Here are the references:

MSDN: AcceptEx function (mswsock.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Learn
Apache: mpm_winnt - Apache HTTP Server

Good luck all…

I ran into this problem yesterday as well. Took me a good while to figure it out and it really slowed down my computer during the entire process.

Even though there is a workaround I think it is important that Comodo fix this bug. Most people are going have trouble finding the root of the issue and just give up and uninstall Comodo.

What is the process for formally reporting a bug…is there a bug database that we can see?

Welcome to the forum.
You can go to http://support.comodo.com
Good luck.

Edit: Have anyone of you tried the latest CAVS beta with Apache?

There is a setting in CF if you have any problems with the firewall as well.
You can set “skip loopback… TCP/UDP” in security/advanced/misc

This still is a big problem with their new virus scanner this is pissing me off
Will not tell people about scanner or firewall looks like i junk both and find one that listens to their users

If you have a look at https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,260.msg31636.html#msg31636

Will not tell people about scanner or firewall looks like i junk both and find one that listens to their users

I don’t understand how the Apache issue involves the firewall, unless you have explicitly blocked access to the local loopback (127.0.0.X). Please check your firewall settings under SECURITY - ADVANCED - MISCELLANEOUS.

Did you have any other issues that have not been addressed?

this “Put the Win32DisableAcceptEx directive in your httpd.conf” just turns off Apache

This issue involves the VIRUS SCANNER AND NOT THE firewall

Have anyone of you tried the latest CAVS beta with Apache?
yes does that help???

(:CLP)If you can not fix this then why should we think that you have the hall.dll fix (:CLP)

Thank.
Win32DisableAcceptEx on fix the problem.