Conflict in modifying registry key that is used by Comodo IceDragon (?)

Attempting to install Arecont Vision surveillance camera software finds a conflict w/, apparently, a registry key used by Comodo IceDragon. (Setup-AV5.6.11.96-XP-Win7-B.exe)

Abend msg from install program:

Error 1401. Could not create key
HKEY_USERS32\S-1-5-21-604230719-2390586808-1253475736-1000\Software\Classes. Verify that you
have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

At the time of install, Comodo Firewall records the event:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Comodo\IceDragon\icedragon.exe
Modify Key HKUS\S-1-5-21-604230719-2390586808-1253475736-1000\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections

I am Administrator of both systems I want this software installed on.

These messages occurred each time I attempted the surveillance camera install which is more than a dozen (maybe as many as a hundred and eleventy) times w/ different system and camera connected/disconnected configurations.

Install of program as been attempted user programs enabled/disabled, including user services programs enabled/disabled (both with Comodo Internet Security Suite enabled/disabled), however, Microsoft service programs were enabled except for Windows Defender.
Even attempted uninstalling Comodo IceDragon (God forbid, but IdidIdidIdid [subsequently reinstalled, yesIdid, Kudos to Comodo Developers])

When Comodo IceDragon was uninstalled, apparently, the usage files were kept (what else???), because when the browser was started after reinstall, all my windows which were open did reopen.
(Is a nice feature, however, the subsequent attempt to install surveillance camera software, again, abended.)

1. Comodo IceDragon did not completely uninstall. Yes, I used Windows 7 uninstall procedure.
  2. Is IceDragon a factor/conflict in this installation of surveillance camera software? If so, what is the conflict and why is there a conflict?
  3. Is there a higher priority than Administrator to use for installation when this type of error occurs?
  4. Is there a work around so I am not required to do without IceDragon?
  5. What did I miss? These are all the questions I know to ask at this time.

HP Pavilion AY597AA-ABA HPE-110f
AMD Phenom™ II X4 925, 2.8Ghz, 16GB DIMM DDR3, Windows 7 Ultimate 6.0.01.7601 (Service Pack 1) x64

TIA,
M - Shadowman3400

Could you install the software when IceDragon was no longer installed? If so what happened when you installed CID again?

( Could you install the software when IceDragon was no longer installed? If so what happened when you installed CID again? )

Software abended, same error message, when install was attempted with IceDragon uninstalled with Windows 7 Programs and Features procedure.
Software install abended , same error message, after reinstall of IceDragon.
Same error message is consistent, as is event recorded by Comodo Firewall.

"Even attempted uninstalling Comodo IceDragon (God forbid, but IdidIdidIdid [subsequently reinstalled, yesIdid, Kudos to Comodo Developers])
When Comodo IceDragon was uninstalled, apparently, the usage files were kept (what else???), because when the browser was started after reinstall, all my windows which were open did reopen.
(Is a nice feature, however, the subsequent attempt to install surveillance camera software, again, abended.)

1. Comodo IceDragon did not completely uninstall. Yes, I used Windows 7 uninstall procedure."

The registry locations you’ve specified contain information related to the connections used as system default - which most applications that need to make connections use. These connections can be created and maintained via Control Panel/Internet Options. If the application you’re trying to install as some sort of specific dependency on these settings, it may be worth resetting them to defaults.

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Select Internet Options
  3. Select Advanced
  4. Select Reset
  5. Select ‘Delete Personal settings’
  6. Select Reset

Reboot and try the installation again.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The registry locations you’ve specified contain information related to the connections used as system default - which most applications that need to make connections use. These connections can be created and maintained via Control Panel/Internet Options. If the application you’re trying to install as some sort of specific dependency on these settings, it may be worth resetting them to defaults.

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Select Internet Options
  3. Select Advanced
  4. Select Reset
  5. Select ‘Delete Personal settings’
  6. Select Reset

Reboot and try the installation again.

Did as suggested. (a good suggestion I hadn’t thought of)
Attempted install of software with startup programs and non-Microsoft services disabled.
Error results the same as previously described

[b]EXCEPT FOR,
CIS Defense DID NOT RECORD A CONFLICT WITH ICEDAGON (CID) as previously described.

I guess I’m back to square 1 and Comodo IceDragon CONFLICT DOES NOT EXIST unless I/we have missed something.[/b]

Please your suggestions are invited and certainly appreciated.

My thanks to all.
M- shadowman3400

Darn 10 minute projects that require days to accomplish, grrrr, very frustrating.

If you’re no longer receiving the IceDragon error message, it would appear to be a permissions issue. Have you tried running installing the software using ‘Run as Administrator’? If you want, you can post the existing permissions on the registry key, perhaps we’ll spot something…

Attempted to install software ‘Run as Administrator’, same abend.

Changed permissions for registry folder HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-604230719-2390586808-1253475736-1000
Attempted to install software ‘Run as Administrator’, same abend.

Let me ask this, please.

The abend message states:

Error 1401. Could not create key
HKEY_USERS32\S-1-5-21-604230719-2390586808-1253475736-1000\Software\Classes. Verify that you
have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Both of my systems are Windows 7 x64 rather than 32bit OS’s.

The registry has a folder HKEY_USERS
The registry does NOT have a folder HKEY_USERS32 folder NOR sub folders.

Could the above be the issue which causes the installation of software failure?

It could well be. I seem to remember seeing something before using that key name - can’t remember what :frowning: Out of interest, in the application installer, are there options for selecting ‘All users’ or just ‘Current user’?

No, there is no option for selecting ‘All users’ or just ‘Current user’

Also, I did check compatibility mode for Windows XP to install software.
Abend message was the same as b4.

I think you may need to post on the vendors forum. Without access to to the application, it’s difficult to make any progress

Yes, I agree.

I will post the results here for your information, should there be an interest.

In any event, I think WE HAVE RULED OUT A CONFLICT WITH COMODO ICEDRAGON (CID), so that theory has been laid to rest.

I do wish to thank you and all for your your assistance and attentions without which this conclusion would not have been determined.

M - shadowman3400

I do also wish to thank the Comodo development, support teams, and Comodo ‘Powers that Be’ for their work in presenting such excellent softwares as are offered for our usage.

Kudos,

M - shadowman3400