Configuring firewall

Friends, I am a new bee to comodo! I had been using zone alarm without any problem for about a year, but friends suggested comodo. twice I installed and had to remove! yes because after getting installed in learning mode, I do get connected through broadband but I am just not able to acess any web page.

The problem should be a basic one, but to be honest I had not read the user manual. In zone alarm the firewall gets configured automatically, and I need not worry about any other configuration.

Please help me out so that I start using comodo sucessfully. What is it I am missing, what I have to do to get the web pages in my browser.

Thanks, and sorry for such a basic question! but please help me out!

I am also having a lot of trouble.

I’ve run the app and network wizards and also tried setting some of the rules manually, but I still have a lot of trouble getting to wep pages. I often have to try several times (refreshing the page address) in order to get the page to come up, or to come up completely. Even navigating on the same site, from page to page is difficult.

My MS Frontpage will not connect any of my sites most of the time, even though I set the FP app rules to allow everything. This makes it impossible for me to do my work.

I’ve cyled the router and DSL modem several times, but it makes no difference. I’m simply not a network expert, and many of the options and help files (on the software or on the furum) make no real sense to me, so I’m about to pull the plug.

I just need a decent firewall with reasonable instructions on setting it up.

Pazz

Hey guys, check out this thread… https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6167.0.html. Especially focus on the installation tutorials (video and written), the layer rules explanation, etc.

If you want a “set and forget” firewall, here’s the basic “how to” ~

Install with Automatic - do not select the “Advanced” install (this requires manual configuration and will likely cause you headaches down the road). Note: Be sure to turn off/disable any Active/Real-Time security applications - antivirus, antispyware, HIPS, etc prior to installing or uninstalling, as they are likely to conflict and cause problems.

After reboot, Go to Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous, and move the Alert Frequency from Low to Very Low (this will make sure you only get one prompt per application); be sure to leave “Do not show alerts for applications certified by Comodo” checked. Then go to Security/Tasks/Scan for Known Applications. Follow the prompts, reboot when finished.

If you are using MS’s Internet Connection Sharing (ICS - you have multiple “client” computers connected to the internet thru one “host” computer), or if you are using File or Print Sharing behind a router, you will want to run the Network Wizard. Go to Security/Tasks/Create a Zone to set up a Zone to encompass your computers/printer, etc (where-ever you need to share access); the defaults should work, although they’re a broad range. Then go to Security/Tasks/Define a New Trusted Network; use the Zone you’ve created. This will add two rule to the top of the Network Monitor, in positions Rule ID 0 & 1. One will Allow IP Out from Any to Zone, the next will Allow IP In from Zone to Any.

That should be all you need. Please don’t feel like you need to “tweak” the network rules if you don’t have a good grasp of how they work; since this defines how everything communicates.

If you have some specialized applications (games, p2p, etc), you may need some specific application and network rules. Other than that, probably no less than 90% of your stuff should run with no more than a popup. Any time you get a popup for an application that needs to connect, just click the box for “Remember” and then Allow (provided you want it to connect); this will create an Application Monitor rule for it, and you shouldn’t be bothered again unless something changes (see Application Behavior Analysis).

With Application Behavior Analysis turned on, you may get alerts about an application somehow interacting with another, even after one of those applications has been closed. This is normal, as it’s due to the way Windows operates. The general rule of thumb is that if you recognize both applications it is safe to Allow. It’s when you don’t know both apps that you should be concerned, and Deny (then start finding out what’s going on). If both applications are on Comodo’s safelist, you won’t see these alerts.

Note: By using Very Low for Alert Frequency, this decreases the level of detail for each popup and associated Application Rule to application-only. No Direction, Port, Protocol, or IP info is included. Thus, if you create a custom rule for an application to include any of this additional detail, it will be overwritten (or an additional rule created) the first time you respond to any popup concerning that application - such as if it updates. This new rule will be very general, where your previous was more specific. If you want to continue to use something more specific, you will have to edit the rule; once edited (until the next change), the FW should accept and utilize your details for that application.

Hope that helps.

LM

Thanks, LM.

I have already gone thru the thread you mentioned, but will go through it again. (Also watched a video.) Much of the terminology is new to me, so I may easily have missed or misunderstood something. Will also check the steps you outlined in your last post. Much of what you suggested I did on my second installation of Comodo, but will start over and try again.

I appreciate the help. I’ve been reading good things about Comodo for some time and I’m motivated to make it work, if I can. Had Sygate not been dropped (from further development) I would continue with it. But I use the net a lot and want the best shield I can get, whether it’s hardware or software, free or not.

Thanks again. Will post if/when I am able to make things work.

Pazz

No problem. We’re here to help, too. And I certainly agree that there is a lack of handy info on how to set the FW up so it doesn’t cause problems. It’s easy to do, IMO, but may not be so easy to figure that out on your own. Hmm…

Hopefully the steps I’ve given will help. Just to give you an idea of how smoothly the FW can work, I have Alert Frequency set to High, I have a number of custom rules, including application blocks that I don’t want connecting, and some other tweaks. An average day gets me maybe one or two popups. With the customized settings, one might anticipate more. With more “average” settings (like what I’ve given), you shouldn’t see any more than that, unless there’s a problem.

LM