Config import/export

Running on WinXP SP3 and I have 2 problems with the config function.

1. When you do the requisite uninstall between version updates, the Comodo uninstall REMOVES the folder that you stored a config export in! Huh? The only bypass I could find is to remember to copy the config file somewhere else prior to uninstall.

2. While I have tried numerous times to import a previous config into Comodo, the import appears to work (no error msgs) but nothing happens. I still get the usual prompts as if I am starting from a new config and certain fields that I change are at the usual default values (which implies that the config did not work).

Has anyone ever actually tried to do an export/import across and update? Did it really work? Did you verify that it worked or just accepted that it did because you did not get any error msgs?

The default save location for exported configurations is ‘My Documents’ Are you seeing something different?

2. While I have tried numerous times to import a previous config into Comodo, the import appears to work (no error msgs) but nothing happens. I still get the usual prompts as if I am starting from a new config and certain fields that I change are at the usual default values (which implies that the config did not work).

Did you ‘Activate’ the configuration after you imported it?

Has anyone ever actually tried to do an export/import across and update? Did it really work? Did you verify that it worked or just accepted that it did because you did not get any error msgs?

I export and import configurations very often and so far I’ve not experienced any problems.

1. You can set whatever export location you want. It shouldn’t matter WHERE I put anything.

2. After the import I checked and the status showed it was activated. But this makes me think. Perhaps I needed to deactivate the old config before I import the new config? Maybe the new config didn’t get imported because the old config was still active and was locked.

I know that rebooting did not help and I still had the old config after doing so.

1. Are you absolutely sure of that? [lol]

Indeed, you can use any location you wish, I was just pointing out that the default is ‘My Documents’. When I export configurations, they are not removed when I subsequently remove CIS. The only possible reason I could imaging for this happening, is if you save the configuration to the Comodo installation folder.

2. After the import I checked and the status showed it was activated. But this makes me think. Perhaps I needed to deactivate the old config before I import the new config? Maybe the new config didn't get imported because the old config was still active and was locked.

You have to manually activate the configuration after you’ve imported it. From what you’ve said, I’m guessing you’re not changing the name of the configuration file during the import. I suggest you actually do give the file a different name, then activate it after the import has finished.

I know that rebooting did not help and I still had the old config after doing so.

In theory, you only have to reboot if CIS tells you to reboot, after importing a configuration file. However, in my experience, it’s always better to reboot, regardless.

3. Are you absolutely sure of that? [lol]

Quite sure :slight_smile:

1. No, I save the config under Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Comodo, not in the Comodo install folder. So why do you think Comodo deletes my config on uninstall but doesn’t delete yours?

2. No I was keeping the same name. But from the doc, it appears that a new name is required. Perhaps, Comodo won’t implement an imported config if it has the same name as an existing config? That would be dumb but not surprising from Comodo.

See:
http://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-170-1705-Importing-Exporting-and-Managing-Personal-Configurations.html#Export_to_file

In XP, there’s a direct relationship between the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% and a user profile. Comodo stores some of it’s data in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo, so I’m guessing, because of the way the all users profile works, using the same path to store data in your profile will cause it to be removed when CIS is uninstalled. Best advice, don’t store data in that part of your profile.

2. No I was keeping the same name. But from the doc, it appears that a new name is required. Perhaps, Comodo won't implement an imported config if it has the same name as an existing config? That would be dumb but not surprising from Comodo.

It would be better if one were ‘forced’ to use a different name, at the least, it would cause less confusion.

None that I can see on my system other than the export file I created.

Apologies, I don’t understand your reply?

Obviously, you may store your files wherever you wish, but I’d suggest using an alternative location for your saved CIS configuration files, simply because of the aforementioned relationship between profiles.

You said that Comodo uses the application folder for some of its folders. I only see the export file I put there. Nothing else from Comodo.

Actually, I said Comodo uses the \All Users\Application Data\Comodo folder and there is a relationship between the All users profile and the user profile.