Computer Security

Hi,

My current setup includes a hardware firewall, CIS3.8 with F in cutom policy and D+ in paranoid mode (plan on using AV once 3.9 is out), Antivir, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster and Windows Defender.

I also use comodo vulnerability analyzer and comodo secure email.

I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on what to install new or remove from my current setup especially the anti spyware stuff and if i would have any compatability issues.

Thanks. :ilovecomodo:

Outside of Windows Defender, make sure your AV’s are not active when you [clean] install 3.9.
If you prefer one of your existing AV’s as on-access, then disable CIS’ AV first.

Thx for the tip and the quick reply.

As for applications i installed geswall but im not sure what it does, any explanations will help.
and as soon as 3.9 is out i will use its av and keep avira for on demand scans.

SpyBot
I'd recommend disabling spybot "tea-timer, I'd personally recommend getting rid of spybot overall and replace it with malwarebytes. To me spybot is out-of-touch and seems to only catch certian bugs.
Windows Defender
For windows defender, I recommend disabling real-time protecion, disable any scheduled scanning and disable it from starting up (If appliable)

Other then that, Everything else looks nice and tidy :slight_smile: I wish I had a hardware firewall :cry:

I have never disabled Windows Defender and have experienced no issues with it at all.

I have never disabled Windows Defender and have experienced no issues with it at all.
I had no problems with windows defender either, it's just that I rather use a different program instead of that and I rather use something else to run in real-time instead of windows defender

My setup is this
comodo firewall with AV (no realtime AV), avira premium, a-squared, prevx w/realtime protection, malwarebytes

This works for you then I am happy. The ideal goal is each person feels secure with whatever seems to work for them. :slight_smile:

Hmm yes spybot does seem pretty out of date. I think i will give malwarebytes a go and see what it can do. Btw a hardware firewall is pretty useful since it protects your whole network before any system have even been accessed.

I installed geswall and it seems to be a good addition to secure a computer. I was wondering does it conflict with CIS especially D+?

Thanks again for your posts. (V)

PS: is the immunization feature in spybot or any other software of any use? and if yes which is the best one out there?

is the immunization feature in spybot or any other software of any use?

from the spybot website

The Immunize function prevents e.g. Tracking Cookies from entering your system. Immunize works with Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera, allowing you to adjust specific settings of the browser to block known spyware installers, (and similar baddies) already included in Spybot-S&D's database. You start the Immunize function by clicking on Spybot-S&D → Immunize on the left navigation bar.

If it’s tracking cookies, why not use comodo system cleaner (also play with the options :slight_smile: ) or use ccleaner It’ll also take care of the cookies, logfiles, etc, etc

I hope this answers your question :-TU

Ok thanks so i can remove spybot and install CSC to produce the same results, i tought that spybot did more than just clean cookies and thats why i kept it for so long. I can also set firefox to clean cookies every time the application is closed.

Anything about geswall? I asked about it on a previous post but i got no replies concerning the product.
What does it do exactly and can it conflict with CIS 3.9?

i tought that spybot did more than just clean cookies and thats why i kept it for so long
LOL :) Yeah, it does more then clean cookies, it's just that it's like out-of date. Malwarebytes and superantispyware are basicly the best right now :-TU
Anything about geswall? I asked about it on a previous post but i got no replies concerning the product.
Sorry I don't know anything about it, I never used it

about this

My current setup includes a hardware firewall, CIS3.8 with F in cutom policy and D+ in paranoid mode (plan on using AV once 3.9 is out), Antivir, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster and Windows Defender.

I also use comodo vulnerability analyzer and comodo secure emai

Basicly In summary,
1)a hardware firewall
2)Comodo firewall with D+
3)Antivir
4)Spybot <----Assuming you replaced it with Malwarebytes
5)Spyware Blaster
6)Windows Defender
7)comodo vulnerability analyzer and comodo secure emai

I’m just curious, do you really feel you need to add geswall to the collection??? Like you still feel unsafe online??? I don’t know, IMO I feel adding geswall is overkill.

lol like you can ever feel safe online. It’s not really about adding more to my collection, i was just trying out new products and see whats good out there and anyway geswall is really low on resources so i won’t feel the difference.

Thats how i fell in love with CIS lol. Was just trying out new firewalls. :comodorocks:

Btw with all the improvements being done to CIS AV how do you presume it will fair when compared with Avira? I REALLY want comodo to be on top because your products are really good even when compared with paid versions.

i was just trying out new products and see whats good out there and anyway geswall is really low on resources so i won't feel the difference.
I see. Why don't you check out the prevx stuff, It one of the few products that I know of that can monitior for MBR rootkits (Master Boot Record) and has a very very strong heuristics http://www.prevx.com/

check it out :-TU also it’s very low on resources

Hmm ok i will take a look at it once i get home. Currently at school but this forum is more interesting than the current lesson. :slight_smile:

How about this:

1. CIS with AV off
  2. UAC on (or use standard user account if on XP)
  3. Firefox (sandboxed if you are paranoid)
  4. Run programs in a sandbox first to make sure they are safe.

This should be good although I think that you would better make use of an AV either way. An AV can improve security by increasing detection as long as performance is not an issue.

About sandboxing would it decrease the application’s usability and by how much?

Currently I’m using Avira Antivir Premium. It’s license is about to expire in a month or so, and earlier on you mentioned Prevx. How does it fair compared to Avira ? Should I just renew my Avira license or should I go with Prevx? Mostly I’m conserned because the free version of Prevx does not remove any malware so i cannot thoroughly test it and is more expensive than Avira.

The follwing links provide a feature comparison of both products:
http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

Or should I just go with the AV in COMODO 3.9 once its out, or maybe its better to wait for a later version for COMODO’s AV? :comodorocks:

Well i trust my PC to comodo’s AV and the heuristics in 3.9 are better but if you want to wait , switch to COMODO av when the next 3.9 comes out it will boost detection by a lot.

Yes there will be one more 3.9 before 4.0 comes out.

I really do wish that comodo’s AV gets number one soon. Once that is done all my security will be free of charge thanks to COMODO. :ilovecomodo:

Does anyone know how much in terms of percentage is comodo av capable of detecting?

Amen BeatenRabbit.

But for now I wish to keep the best products and not the cheap solution, as security software are protecting my other 3 computers (as I’m the only one with computer experiance in my house). I really wish to avoid usless formats and malware hunting. Any occuring problems means complaints and nagging from family members, and half a day’s wasted on fixing the computer.