Comodo won't shut down

did you change any of the setting on the AV?

I did disable the cloud stuff in the firewall, as well as something similar in the AV (can’t remember now… it’s a blur), and I backed off Heuristic matching at one point, as that’s what nags the most for legit stuff (of course).

But, really, after I “just installed” the AV part, and rebooted, it came up functioning correctly immediately on reboot.

The reduced functionality of that box over the last couple weeks, however, has pushed me over completely to one of my other machines running Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx, and I put another copy of XP in a VirtualBox on Ubuntu and put my Winders dev tools over there. I’ve really been meaning to get off Winders ever since I left Microsoft 7 years ago, so I’ve been kinda setting myself up…

Once Vistard came out, it was clear that the Windows platform was heading into obsolescence, so I’ve been gradually migrating away, but I still write Winders software and drivers (as needed), so I do kinda need Winders around and have (until now) kept a dedicated dev box for Winders work (but more and more, my work is web-based, not client-based).

Funny thing, there aren’t very many AV tools on Linux yet… no market… :wink:

The time trying to get the XP machine working has really put me behind, and since I took the fork in the road and am now far down a new path, I’ve made an image of the hard drive of that XP machine onto an external drive array so I can get at the files on it easily, and then shut it down for now. I’m just pushing ahead with two of my other XP machines (just test boxes) and my Ubuntu machine with my XP dev tools running in the virtual machine (which actually has more horsepower than my main old XP dev box). I also made a “sandbox” virtual machine for testing, so have TWO XP machines running in windows on my Ubuntu desktop.

I have progressed…

-:v:-

i’m having exactly the same problem runnig AVG 2011 and just the firewall, i did uninstall the suite and install the old firewall which worked great until it updated to the new version and is again freezing. please sort out
:cry:

I’ve been having this problem since Firewall was updated to the latest Comodo version. I do use AVG, but I have tried it without AVG installed and it still happens. It’s always cfp.exe and one other (it comes up less often) comodo firewall service that will not close down on shutdown. It is intermittent, not always happening - and I usually have to hold down the power button on my computer to get the computer to shut off.

I really dislike seeing the lack of help and the only resort being to uninstall this nice firewall, but I am not going to risk damaging my computer for it any longer.

To note, I even did a OS reinstall (I am on Windows XP SP-3), and I had these same problems the minute I reinstalled Comodo even without an AV on. This issue really needs to be put on the table and fixed ASAP instead of just thinking it’s another program’s fault and leaving the users with the idea if they uninstall everything else it will work fine. That is NOT the solution to a programming problem. I’ll sub to some email updates so I can see when this issue is addressed and fixed, until then I will be looking for another similar firewall to use in the meantime, or just settling for Windows’ Firewall.

Btw, thanks for the post on getting CIS off the computer, but there again is an issue that should have already been fixed long ago and still isn’t.

i got this bug with v4 too,
This version fix this issues!

If I may stir the pot some more…my laptop which has Win XP, AVG 2011 and the newest version of CIS, shuts down without any problems…so far…As a follow up to my previous posts…I still get a very brief flash of the message that cfp.exe or comodo is not ending, but there is no hold up and the computer shuts down ‘normally’.

I’ve been having this problem since upgrading to AVG Free 2011 too.

When shutting down the PC a dialogue window pops up telling me that Comodo Firewall is not responding, with an “End Now” button. Main reason I’m posting is to say WAIT once this dialogue window finishes and closes. I get a black screen for a minute or two, then the PC continues to shut down or restart normally.

I’m only using Comodo Firewall (version 5.0.163652.1142), Defense+ is disabled. I’m using Win XP Home.

I tried using Defense+ but got a constant stream of popups asking me whether to block or allow things (if I recall correctly), making it practically impossible to use my PC. Asking ME if something was safe or not also seemed to defeat the puropse of a virus checker, but I may be remembering it incorrectly.

I may go back to the previous version of AVG Free for now. I remember that that too had problems for weeks after release.

OK, here’s a new twist.

I thought I’d disable AVG Free 2011 then report back here on what happened. I opened CCleaner>Tools>Startup to temporarily disable it from there. In the startup list I noticed Adobe ARM and Adobe Reader Speed Launcher, which I’d uninstalled some time ago (and this is exactly the kind of reason I give Adobe a wide berth now.) I disabled those two startup processes and decided to re-boot before disabling AVG (check one thing at a time…)

My PC re-booted with no problems (no “Comodo Firewall is not responding” window.) I re-booted again to check, and again no problems.

It’s odd that I started getting the “Comodo Firewall is not responding” error as soon as I re-booted after upgrading to AVG Free 2011, though. Maybe, as noted by someone above, it’s a combination of problems, though in my case it appears to have been triggered by AVG Free 2011.

I’m still in the process of testing, but on my system, the problem appears to be the sandbox that is causing shutdown to hang.

I’ll need to do more shutdowns to be sure, but so far, (just a few shutdowns) if I disable the sandbox prior to shutting down, the system shuts down as it should.

I too am having similar issues. I have a laptop and a desktop. Both are running XP Pro SP3 with all Windows Updates. I also run AVG Free 9.0 AV. I was running Comodo Firewall 4.1 in Safe Mode with Defence+ and Sandbox disabled with no issues. I uninstalled 4.1 with Add and Remove Programs. Then I ran the Clean-up tool for Comodo Internet Security found here as per it’s instructions:

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-t36499.0.html

I then installed Comodo Firewall 5.0. I have yet to upgrade AVG. I still run 9.0.

Since installing Comodo 5.0 on October 21, 2010, randomly, the system tray icon fails to show up after startup. Sometimes when the system tray icon does show up, it is unresponsive. When the system tray icon is unresponsive, even trying to open the main Comodo window using the desktop icon does not work.

I also intermittently get the Windows cannot End Program message during my shutdowns and restarts which locks up my PC’s, in which case I need to power down to shutdown.

This seems to be a bug with Comodo 5.0. Is there anyone from Comodo working on this, and if so, is there any timeframe for resolution?

I had to uninstall Comodo today due to the shut-down problem previously described.

I notice several people in this thread wondering if a conflict with AVG may be causing the problem, but it seems to me the most telling commonality is that the only people (including myself) reporting this problem are using Windows XP as their OS. Perhaps the newer version of Comodo is geared toward optimization with Windows 7.

Here is my 2 cents of when shutting down the PC a dialogue window pops up telling me that Comodo Firewall is not responding, with an “End Now” button.:

I have the latest version of Avast (and definitions) and Comodo installed on a WinXP SP3 with all the latest Microsoft updates system.

My family has 3 accounts that are used with this system.

Admin account (does not have this issue), and is using the latest version of Google Chrome Beta as the default web browser.
Wife’s account (does not have this issue), and is using the latest version of SlimBrowers (an alternate IE interface) as her default web browser.
My Account (has this issue), and am using the latest version of FireFox as the default web browser.

Is this possibly related to FF, or am I totally off base???.. I dont recall if the issue started after a FF update or Avast update.

Maybe this will help narrow the issue down.

Greetings:

I have to say it’s probably not related to Avast, AVG 2011 or FF because I, too, have this problem with CIS not turning off at shutdown & I use Opera [v10.63] & AVG 2011 [on XP Pro SP3]. Problem never occurred until I upgraded to CIS v5.0.163652.1142. Are there any plans to submit this to the developers? TIA.

Dave

Hello,
I’m a complete newbie to this forum and appreciate all the help you guys provide!
I was having the same problems with CIS 5. on Win XP Pro SP3 w/AVG 2011 and might have found a solution.
The system is always updated and cleaned.
The problems with the left or right click unresponsive system tray icon and a non-responsive CIS at shutdown always seemed to go together.
I tried with w/out sandbox, proactive or internet security activation and the problem remained the same.
I completely (Revo…CIS cleanup tool…regcleaners) uninstalled and reinstalled - same problem occurring intermittently. My PC might run great for days and even shut down and restart fine and then suddenly the above described pattern would happen again.
Guessing that the problem might be some simultaneous startup/resources conflict, I decided to give “Startup Delayer” (Startup Delayer - manage your startup programs) a try and see if I can effect the behavior by scheduling the Comodo and AVG startups a few seconds apart. IT WORKED!
Here is what I tried:
At first I delayed CIS by 10 sec,
AVG System tray startup 40 sec. later,
then “Everything” and “Broadcom Wireless Manager UI” each another 20 secs later and “SunJava Update Scheduler” a whole hour later.
I rebooted and shut down several times w/out any problems.
Then I set CIS with no delay at all - this means it starts up ASAP with the basic Windows bootup processes – THE PROBLEM WAS BACK!
I reset the CIS bootup delay to 10 secs – EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN.
Startup Delayer and playing with different settings might work for some of you and it might give the Comodo folks some clue as to what’s happening here.

Been surfing the net with this problem and this forum is the first time i’ve found people with the same problem
Using version 4?.. yes
using windows xp…yes
using avg anti virus…yes

I’ve never had a problem with comodo in the past and really don’t want to remove it, but i’m getting a bit fed up now having to shut down my pc with the reset button :cry:

I too am having this very problem and it affects only and all the XP computers in my household.
My XP computers are all patched and run AVG 2011 free edition. Since I manage computers at my parent’s house, the same can be said of all the XP computers there. So that’s 5-6 computers between us. I own one Win7 laptop and my mom owns a Win 7 desktop and they’re running fine with AVG and Comodo.

It does seem to be somewhat intermittent of an issue.
Some other software (all of which are updated regularly) I run on my PCs are: Spybot, Spyblaster, Adobe Reader, Nero, Divx, and in some instances, Firefox.

There are no functionality issues during the boot up, except usually I cannot right click on the Comodo firewall icon in task bar and when that happens then I know I’ll have a shut down issue. No problems when up and going, just at the shut down I have to tell Windows to End Task on the Comodo firewall. By the by, I only use just the firewall and none of the added features. And only half od my computers will actually shut themselves off, albeit after a 5-minute something delay.

Yup. Took me a while to find this thread, but add me to the list! I’ve been having the same problems. I just downgraded to Version4.1 and things seem to be OK again.

Sure would appreciate some comment from Comodo that they are looking into this. I’m sure that many of the people in this forum would be glad to help. I would.

Bump.

What kind of information would be helpful for Comodo to duplicate this issue?

Off the top of my head the computers for which I am impacted by this issue are a couple years old at the very least. I’m guessing 2006 or earlier. When discussing this issue with a family member it was mentioned to me that everything was functioning like normal until a certain Windows Xp update took place. Perhaps there was a conflict with a Windows update that need not be installed for most users. I know Microsoft, certainly in the past they’ve been guilty of this, tends to put up updates like Net Framework and so on. In closing, I can only mention that I do manual updates and I’ve installed all the suggested OS updates to the point that nothing is shown under the critical or optional download update options.

Tonight I will run the CIS cleaner and then do a reinstall and hopefully that’ll determine if something got corrupted along the way. IIRC the clast time I used the CIS Cleaner was when I went from version 4X to 5X anyway.

I’ve been monitoring this thread as I’ve had the same problem with XP SP3/ CIS 5 / AVG 11. It may also have been causing a problem with other software- dialogue boxes in Poser 8. Yesterday I checked my XP Firewall and turned it off just in case. Today I have had no problems with shutdown or opening CIS with the system tray. Has anybody else seen any change? I did notice AVG updated today