Comodo wants to use firefox as a server? [Resolved]

what is hapenning? I allowed firefox to act as a server or whatever, and then it asks to let firefox have internet access or something.

Welcome to forum Guitaristz!

In a Windows XP, so that executable “firefox.exe” functions adequately, it’s necessary to verify if the library below, is in the “Component Monitor” of the CFP:

ADVAPI32.DLL
COMDLG32.DLL
GDI32.DLL
IMM32.DLL
IPHLPAPI.DLL
JS3250.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
MSVCRT.DLL
NPPL3260.DLL
NSPR4.DLL
NSS3.DLL
OLE32.DLL
OLEACC.DLL
OLEAUT32.DLL
PLC4.DLL
PLDS4.DLL
PSTOREC.DLL
RASAPI32.DLL
RASDLG.DLL
SECUR32.DLL
SECURITY.DLL
SHELL32.DLL
SMIME3.DLL
SSL3.DLL
USER32.DLL
UXTHEME.DLL
VERSION.DLL
WINMM.DLL
XPCOM_COM_COMPAT.DLL
XPCOM_CORE.DLL

Hi and welcome,

It’s not CFP’s wanting to use Firefox as “server”, it’s Firefox’s wanting to be granted permission to act as “server”. Other browsers have enough with “access to Internet” (outbound) but for some reason Firefox needs also that additional permission (inbound), that’s the way it works. You should grant the access or it won’t work properly, there’s nothing to worry about, Firefox wasn’t malware the last time I checked. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you don’t really know what a popup is about but you know all the involved programs (child, parent, OLE etc.) and consider them safe, then I’d say you’re safe to allow every time.

With CFP, “act as a server” does not mean that an application is receiving unsolicited inbound connections, or is in any other way a point of contact for external connections (for some firewalls, it does mean just that). All this means in CFP is that an application has established an internal connection to be prepared to make an external connection.

An application such as a browser has to be able to receive inbound connections, and FF does this a little differently than some other browsers. However, the inbound connections it receives are not unsolicited for browsing; they are the response to an outbound request to the website you’re viewing.

It is not something to be concerned about. With CFP’s layered security, no application on your computer is able to accept an unsolicited (read, “undesired”) inbound connection without a Network Monitor rule to Allow In (and protocol, port, etc). Even then (if you had such a rule, as for a p2p application or somesuch) the connection still cannot be established without an Allowed application actively running and listening on the specified port.

Hope that helps (rather than confuses),

LM

Thank you very much!!! Thanks guys, I understand fully now what this means. Its just that the term “act as a server” had me worried with past experiences with trojans and stuff haha.

No problem; glad to help!

You’ll see some different alerts if you run into a trojan. They’ll make reference to various types of “hijacks”; you can review what is monitored by going to Security/Advanced/Application Behavior Analysis (ABA). Some of these alerts may be confusing, as they can also happen for legitimate activity.

The rule of thumb given by the developers is that if you recognize the applications involved, it is safe to allow & remember. The time to be concerned is if some unknown/unheard of application is interacting with another (something like your browser, for instance). Then you want to deny and start checking…

I’ll go ahead and mark the topic as resolved and close it. If you have any further questions about the original issue, just PM a Moderator (please include a link back here) and we’ll be glad to reopen it for you.

A good place to read more about CFP is here: https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6167.0.html

LM