Comodo v3 and virtual encrypted disks

Comodo firewall asks me to approve applications (which are started from virtual encrypted disks) every time I mount such disks (every system restart). Could you turn around this problem and test comodo with application which are started from encrypted virtual disks (truecrypt, drivecrypt etc.)?

I have the same issue with BestCrypt. Are you going to fix it in the future versions of CFP?

No problem here with VistaSP1 and Steganos Safe 2008.

I use BestCrypt under Windows XP SP3. The problem appears both with the firewall and D+. It seems that CFP not just saves application path and contents (hash) but also some identificator of the disk. So when I restart the system/remount the virtual drive CFP thinks that the drive doesn’t match the drive stored in the rules and handles the application as a new one.

I’ve searched through the forums and found similar issues, e.g. https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t21330.0.html and https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t16102.0.html . There were no response from Comodo in both cases.

It’s interesting that you don’t have problems with virtual drives created by Steganos under Vista. Maybe Vista or Steganos mount drives different way so they are recognized by Comodo as the same drives every time you mount them. Is it possible to fix this issue for other virtual drive software/OS?

Hi,

I tested issue with latest TrueCrypt on xp sp2 and on xp sp3.

In both cases result is same: CFP does remember rules for applications except it “forgets” only one rule upon system logoff/restart: “explorer.exe tries to execute xyz.exe”.
It doesn’t matter if drive is formated as fat or ntfs. Also it doesn’t matter if drive is mounted as removable or “normal”.

Can you please describe better what issues do you experience and under what circumstances? As for me only problem i found is CFP doesn’t remember only 1 rule for explorer.

I guess second link is about different bug which was fixed in version 3.0.18-.21 (don’t know exact number).

Hi Yuriy,

I’ve tested CFP 3.0.22.349 with TrueCrypt on XP SP3. It seems that once you allowed a rule for a program from a virtual drive or even allowed explorer to run this applicaion and saved your answer CFP “recalls” all the other rules for the programs from this virtual drive. So there are two ways to reproduce the behaviour in your case:

1. When CFP asks “explorer.exe tries to execute xyz.exe” you can allow it but uncheck “Remember this answer”. In this case CFP asks for rules for this application. Until you remember any answer for an application from the virtual drive CFP will ask you for the programs from this drive even if there are rules for them.

2. You can set explorer.exe as a Windows System Application (default setting) or allow it to run all the applications. You’ll need to restart the system after you do it to see the problem. In this case CFP won’t ask you tu run an application but will ask for permissions for it until you remember at least one answer.

So there is no way to run the applications from the virtual drive without anwering to at least one question and remembering it. E.g. I use batch files and it is very inconvenient that I cannot run them fully automatically.

Thanks for your testing SK319. I will do further testing i guess. And will try to make some report for devs.

Example:
I have Miranda messenger installed on encrypted virtual drive (truecrypt). Almost every time I boot, mount the disk and start Miranda I need to approve it as Trusted application (as in Defense+ as in Firewall).

Is there any progress with this issue? It still remains in version 3.0.24.368

Alas no official feedback on this case :frowning:

bump !