Comodo user-friendly, not necessary

Please allow me continuation of topic started by me in the thread https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t23219.0.html.

Most guys are claiming comodo was user-friendly.
That’s not true. See my list referenced in that thread.
As an example:
I had just to examine one rule. In the whole session I had to
authenticate myself to comodo six times. It is nonsense !

Plenty of such examples can be found.

It is very easy if you have an open mind and learn. I was overwhelmed by Comodo at first also but I took the time to read and learn. People are affraid of what they do not know and are close minded to learning new things. I have had Comodo installed on both my pc’s for awhile now and get no alerts except when I install something new. My 70 year old Mother knows how to use Comodo. Can you elaborate on why you had to click 6 times. What was it? Did you bother to read the help file system? Did you ask questions? Did you read all the stick notes. All you need to do is open up Comodo and click around to see what its all about. You should always familiarize yourself with any software after installing it. Honestly why complain when Comodo is the most powerful firewall out there and its FREE.

He’s referring to 1-password protection, 2-GUI (too many windows).
I do think Comodo will fix both sooner or later.

Yes, I also got the impression that kaweka was talking about the password prompts. Comodo are aware of this issue.

kaweka?

Even so. Like I said I knew nothing about Comodo when I first installed it. I took the time to learn. There are not too many Windows. Half the tabs and options most users don’t need but Comodo is a firewall for both novices and advanced users. When GM makes a new car line or redesigns things I don’t throw my arms up and say forget it. Its too complicated. I read and understand and learn. Life is about learning. You cannot grow as an individual unless you have an open mind and are willing to learn. Could Comodo be easier. Sure. If you want easy then get ZA free. I read his reply’s. He complained about more friendly GUI in reply #15 and in reply #21 he said there are too many obstacles. I disagree.

And your grandmother can use it, ok ok. But it needs work. Accept criticism, read it, discuss it. Don’t just put it down.

Cheers

Gentlemen, please!

kaweka is posting the feedback section (the correct section) & I would prefer if she/he is allowed to express their views freely. This may require some discussion, if kaweka is willing, sure… but, the ZAP-life-experience-grandmother type posts don’t really contribute to the process of… erm… feeding back. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Regarding the password example.

From an user-friendly application I expect that during whole working session with that app
it is asking me for the authentication password one time only, just at the beginning.
Not six times or more as it was during my last session in Comodo.
That’s only one example.

Thanks for your patience.

Something similar to Kerio would be easier you log on once to make changes and can log off if you wish or on reboot.
Dennis

G’day,

I agree with you entirely. I think, once you have opened the firewall’s GUI, you should only have to enter the password once when you first modify a setting. Until the GUI is shut down, that one instance of authentication should be sufficient, not once per window as it is now.

Ewen :slight_smile:

???

Being new to this forum. I am not sure where to post things, so forgive me if I may place them in the wrong area. By all means move them if necessary and even delete them if there are repeats.

I stated that in any Firewall, I want to be able to install it, have it do it’s thing and not have to interact or have a love affair with it. I detest pop ups, and will get rid of programs that continue to act in that manner. I dont want to learn about firewalls, I dont want to teach firewalls. I want the firewall to learn about my system, check it out and do what it does, and I dont want to have a hassle about it. I hope C-O-M-O-D-O can do this. If so it will be with me for a long time, but if not it will bite the dust and I’ll be looking for a more friendly firewall. The horns, bells and whistles do nothing for me either and add nothing of significance to the program.

Thanks
Wildman

Wildman it is not necessary to make double posts. I responded to your other post. Take the time to read it before making other comments. If you want to limit your pop ups then use training mode for a week or so. HIPS programs involve user interaction. If you don’t have the patience for that then you wont realize the power of Comodo.

Software good design and user-friendly software is a product-related aspect only.
It has no in common with user abilities.

The fact that users may have open mind and can learn everything is completely different issue.
What if one needs months to learn usage of software ?
What if the usage is more complicated and time-consuming as it could be ?
Such a software is guaranteed not user-friendly.

The most important thing - a firewall is only a tool .
Like every other tool (not only in the pc world) it has to allow iompletion of the true tasks quickly, simple without overheads.
Comodo, please do not waste the users’s time by time-consuming interaction procedures.

Let me continue/repeat the list of comodo pro disadvantages causing time-consuming
usage. My comments refer only to the firewall part.

• firewall events logs protected with password. What for please ? Why ? Time wasting.
  • no real reason to group all configuration options into two groups, common and advanced.
    Time wasting.
  • protocol window working in on-line mode. Kerio can that.
  • ability to disable particular filter rules without removing them. Kerio can that.
  • Data stream speed indication for each active connection - active connections dialog. Kerio can that.
  • A button within firewall alert dialog for advanced rule edition (like in Sunbelt Kerio)
  • Firewall active connections not protected by password. Generally any kind of logs not protected by password, e.g.: firewall events.
  • Quick and easy access to “firewall active connections”. Also easy and quick way to switch from firewall active connections to filter rule editor and firewall events or vice versa.

Using the “local vs. remote” naming convention/design would increase the producibility as well.

Please imagine following requirements of some application:
udp inbound and outbound allowed, remote port 5031
tcp outbound allowed, remote port 5031
all others forbidden

For the udp requirement one have to create two rules

• udp inbound, source port 5031 allowed
  • udp outbound, destination port 5031 allowed

With the “local/remote” convention only one rule is necessary

• udp inbound and outbound, remote port 5031 allowed

Sunbelt Kerio Personal can that.

“Allow this request” together with “remember my answer” generates a rule
where allowed port range of local pc is up to 65535.
As I could it at some security expert web, the good habit is to limit the range of allowed
ports for local pc to from 1024 up to 4999, or something similar, don’t remember this exactly now.

You and whole publicity praising comodo surely mean the engine.
I’m telling about gui and its friendliness.

A couple of these replies to Kaweka’s posts are really unfortunate and defensive (and given the language in one post, immature). I do not understand why good suggestions regarding a GUI and ease of use are met with such hostility. By the way, I agree with Kaweka’s requests, regardless of what other firewall GUI he references. It reminds me of the old saying, “with friends like this, who needs enemies”. CHUCK

G’day,

I think you’ve made a mistake here.

You said

Please imagine following requirements of some application: udp inbound and outbound allowed, remote port 5031 tcp outbound allowed, remote port 5031 all others forbidden

and then followed that with

For the udp requirement one have to create two rules - udp inbound, source port 5031 allowed - udp outbound, destination port 5031 allowed
With the "local/remote" convention only one rule is necessary - udp inbound and outbound, remote port 5031 allowed
Sunbelt Kerio Personal can that.

In CFP, it is possible to exactly replicate this behaviour with a single rule with the following parameters.

Action : ALLOW
Protocol UDP
Direction : IN/OUT
Description : Whatever
Source Address : ANY (or a ZONE if the app only requires access to/from specific addresses)
Destination Address ANY (or a ZONE if the app only requires access to/from specific addresses)
Source Port : 5301
Destination Port : 5301

Similarly, the TCP requirements of this app (which appear to have been forgotten) could be

Action : ALLOW
Protocol TCP
Direction : OUT
Description : Whatever
Source Address : ANY (or a ZONE if the app only requires access to/from specific addresses)
Destination Address ANY (or a ZONE if the app only requires access to/from specific addresses)
Source Port : 5301
Destination Port : 5301

I’m pretty sure that you can, in CFP, end up with the same number of rules as you would in Kerio and these rules can have the same degree of precision.

Regarding the looseness of the auto-generated rules, this can be fixed by changing one simple setting in CFP.

Open CFP and click FIREWALL → ADVANCED → FIREWALL BEHAVIOUR SETTINGS → ALERT SETTINGS. Changing the default from LOW to VERY HIGH will produce auto-generated rules that specify direction, protocol, IP address, and port. Lower setting become correspondingly looser.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. FYI - Standard ports are usually classed as 0 - 1026. Ephemeral ports are classed as 1027 - 65535.

Fine…understanding and learning is good. Now, why don’t you understand and learn why some people find the user interface non-intuitive? How about you not just throwing up your arms and discounting their comments. Why don’t you have an open mind and accept their comments? Why don’t you learn how to improve the user interface?

Yes, it can…and many people have are making suggestions about ways in which is can be made easier. We hope that Comodo is listening (it seems that many of the people who post here are not). I am just guessing, but I bet Comodo would not approve of telling well-meaning people to go elsewhere…as was done in the following posts:

Nobody will come here to help Comodo if the arrogant members of the forum keep sending them away to use other software. But alas, there are some voices of reason:

Well said Chuck and Pedro…
The user interface has many parts that are non-intuitive and take too much time (the graphical part of the interface may be pretty, but the interaction required by the user is often unneccessarily cumbersome and non-intuitive).
I think this analogy may help. The US government has a very complicated and detailed tax code, and US citizens must file out tax reports based on thousands of complicated rules. Accountants make it their profession: a full time job learning and understanding the yearly changes in tax rules. Many people hire accountants to complete their tax reports because the tax rules are so complicated to learn. But, then came programs like Quicken and Turbo Tax: programs that allowed anybody to do their own taxes without having to learn the complex tax rules…it automatically applied the rules for you! A simple intuitive interface that applied even the most esoteric and complex rules automatically so that a novice could fill out their tax forms correctly.
What many of you guys are saying is that people should “learn the tax code” and if they don’t like it, then they should move to another country. While I accept that you have a right to make these type comments, I feel that they are counter productive to improving Comodo products…

I appreciate Comodo’s hard work and I hope we can all continue to help them improve their outstanding products.

WDD (V)

We are listening Guys…

Making Complex changes & Designing a GUI from Scratch isn’t easy… This is likely for CFP v4…

Josh

For me, it is not the GUI itself…the layout is organized and well laid out.
I think improvements can be made in how complicated it is for the user to accomplish certain tasks (i.e. the problem is not the graphical part, but it is the functional part of the interface).

For example, I cannot group together several related programs and give them all the same security policy while in the “computer secruity policy” window in D+. I have to go somewhere else in the program to create these groups (and by the way, creating those groups is not as easy as it could be). It seems to me that you should be able to access the “grouping” function from any relevant area with the program. That would certainly make accomplishing this function much more effeicient.

Another example: organizing the list of security policies in both firewall and D+ is irksome. It would be nice to simply click on the security policy heading so you can organize the list based on program name or by “treat as” criteria.
When I want to glance through the list of policies, it is much easier to identify an erroneously added policy if you can organize them easily in a logical order. Instead, I have to drag and drop every policy, and keep dragging every time a new policy is added. This is way to much work to accomplish a very simple task: basic organization of the list.

D+ alerts…way too many. I am fine with teaching the firewall, but a user should have the option to use a whitelist for D+ so actions that are standard an every windows system do not pop up an alert.

Stealth ports wizard…this has been commented on by several users previously, so I won’t beat it to death. See here for some of the posts:
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/suggestions_for_cpf-t26598.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t21232.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/bugs_in_cfp_3025378-t26609.0.html

Similar issues have been raised by other posts. So, basically…I think it is not the graphical interface, it is the functional interface: the usability can be made more efficient and intuitive.

Hope this clarifies my point.
I want to recommend Comodo to everybody! (R)
But, I as it stands now, I have to wait until it becomes more usable for the many computer novices I know.
For me (more than a novice, but not an expert), Comodo is the best option. Keep up the good work.
WDD