Comodo update (cfpupdat.exe) takes focus when running automatic updates. [NBZ]

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Watching a video in Media Player Classic - Home Theater(MPCHC) in fullscreen.
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: MPCHC lost focus and returned to window mode, and in the bottom line stated that it lost focus to cfpupdat.exe.
  3. What you expected to happen or see: Nothing else then fullscreen video. Any background app should start out of focus. And only take focus if it needs the users help.
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: This can only be fixed by Comodo.
  5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes here?: It’s not.
  6. Details & exact version of any application (execpt CIS) involved with download link: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: If you are running any app in fullscreen(No windows GUI present), and a automatic update/update check starts.
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): I only have a little programming experience in VB .net. But I know it’s rather easy to make sure any app’s run out of focus and only take focus if needed.

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: 5.3.181415.1237 and 7925
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4: No I did a cleen install when CIS 5.0 came out.
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
  4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.): No.
  5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+= Safe Mode, Sandbox= On as Limited, Firewall = Custom Policy, AV = Stateful
  6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type: Win7 SP1 x64, Admin and UAC on default.
  7. Other security and utility software installed: No… One to rule them all…
  8. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box): No VM used.

Turn Game mode on when running full screen apps to avoid this.

I don’t know if it will prevent comodo from checking for updates(Prevent cfpupdat.exe from running).

If it doesn’t, then game mode is meaningless for this purpose.
As it’s cfpupdat.exe thats always starts in focus, and thereby removes focus from any other program in focus.

If it does prevent cfpupdat.exe from running then you wont get any notifications about new updates.
While you can just go in and out of game mode when you use the pc.
This just makes CIS more tidies to use and unnecessarily complicated.

Running in game mode to fix the problem, is a bit like fixing the right headlight on a car by removing the left.

And by my own experience, making a program start out of focus, and only take focus when it needs to prompt the user, is very easy.

While it’s not a big problem or urgent for that matter, it should be easy and fast to fix.

Thank you for your bug report in the required format.

Moved to verified.

Thank you

Dennis

Hi,

I have the same pb.
Waiting for a fix.

Thanks

Hello,

it’s the same to me and this problem was mentioned more than once as I’ve seen !

It happens even to the windows default screensaver as CIS breaks into it when checking for updates. Also during writing a document in word, abruptly the update check process deactivates the current window.

VERY ANNOYING !!!

Especially because I am going on writing at the keyboard but nothing goes on in my document unless I remark it.

I am very surprised that you can find the same problem mentioned in a bug report on October 2010 which was not at any time solved.

https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-cis/cis-steals-focus-in-game-mode-full-screen-games-are-minimised-286-t63240.0.html

I find it ridiculous that such an obvious, high-gradely nerved and so cheap to be fixed bug can not be solved by you since at least five and a half month until now.

Please give it a little bit more pressure when forwarding it to your developer team. This is really an asap topic and I’m sure it would be no problem for your team to integrate it within the nest update.

Thanks a lot.

Best
Damarki

Hello,

Same pb with nintendo64 emulator (project64), left4dead 2 and others games…
Anyway, i think there is the pb with a lot of full screen applications …maybe all.
Very very annoying.

Thanks

May I ask what this “[NBZ]” is ?
I’m just wondering.

Please read here
https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-cis/what-happens-to-issues-we-report-t62323.0.html;msg439609#msg439609