comodo system cleaner 1.164946.38

:o

:o

am using xp pro sp3 32 bit (norton 360 v3)

downloaded system cleaner without making any changes to default settings for nearly 3 weeks without any problems

out of no where last week the laptop will not boot up, the error message was : \windows\system32\config\system was missing

as i did not have the operating disck i have to send the laptop to vendor to solve the problem

today the same has happenned to spare laptop

this one is xp home addition sp3 32 bit (comodo internet security)

again it has crashed after using the comodo system cleaner

i stress i have not made any changes to the default set up of comodo

whats causing the crash and where do i find i : \windows\system32\config\system
to reboot laptop as i dont have xp operation discs as non were supplied with hardware ?

minx

Sorry to hear about this problems. They are very serious.

Did the first computer crash after rebooting after you had it cleaned with CSC? For the second computer (laptop) did the crash happen after you had used CSC and rebooted?

I seriously doubt whether CSC caused this problem. This type of problems usually points to either funky hardware or some serious instability on driver level.

Next time it happens try Last Known Good Configuration. To get that choice you need to start pushing F8 towards the end of the BIOS routine until you get a screen with boot options. Then choose Last Known Good Configuration.

For the situation you have a Windows instillation CD present this procedure will be of immense help: http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658&afterinter=true.

When you have the possibility to hook up the HD with the damaged Windows install in another pc you can restore a back up of system. The mentioned tutorial can be inspirational here.

edit: URL fix

minx, did both of your systems say that SYSTEM was missing? Because I think this is the SYSTEM registry hive that XP is talking about. XP announcing that SYSTEM is corrupt, that I have seen before. But, missing? That’s new to me.

Anyway, Eric’s suggestion of F8 on boot & selecting Last Known Good Configuration sounds good to me. At least that should restore SYSTEM & allow XP to run.

This has something to do with incompatibility with Norton 360. See this post bosoiua’s post. He elaborated it somewhere else also, which I can’t find now.

https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner/comodo_system_cleaner_116494638_bug_reports-t38858.15.html

Is it this Topic you were looking for.
If you read this post in the topic it shows a way out of your problem that you might be able to use.
It appears you have to choose between 360 and CSC :frowning:
Dennis

Yes, Dennis, thanks for the link. Let’s see whether the OP reverts or not.

Hi,

We are sorry for the inconvenience you encountered, but this is not Comodo System Cleaner’s fault, as it runs fine, these kind of problems are a thing of the past now. As layman said above , this is the result of an incompatibility between Norton 360 and CSC. Norton 360 blocks CSC’s start-up registry keys, triggering a non responsive Windows loading screen, and in some cases Norton’s drivers cause the manifestation that you encountered.
We tried many ways of solving this problem, and the only efficient solution was removing the Norton drivers in “C: \ windows \ system32 \ drivers \ N360”. This operation must be conducted from an environment ( operating system or DOS based application ) outside Windows. After that, Windows booted in normal mode just fine, the CSC Finalize/Restore window appeared as it should.
Considering this situation, you have to choose between Comodo System Cleaner and Norton 360 as they don’t mix together.

Thank you for your support.

but this is not Comodo System Cleaner's fault, as it runs fine, these kind of problems are a thing of the past now. As layman said above , this is the result of an incompatibility between Norton 360 and CSC. Norton 360 blocks CSC's start-up registry keys, triggering a non responsive Windows loading screen, and in some cases Norton's drivers cause the manifestation that you encountered.

I have run into this problem on two separate computers both running 32-bit XP, neither of which were running Norton 360. The first time it happened was probably with a version of Comodo a few months old. Most recently, it happened with 1.1.64946.38.

I have to admit that i stopped using CSC because it caused more problems than it fixed ---- on several occasions i had to do a complete OS re-install becasue of CSC and kept thinking well this version will be better and won’t do that — boy was i wrong. Until it is a ‘FINISHED PRODUCT’ i will steer clear of this one. >:(

I am very sorry to hear that.

For future reference you could try the following to restore Windows:

• Try last known good configuration. To get the choice screen keep pushing F8 toward the end of the BIOS until you get the boot options screen
  • Try safe mode. Again do the F8 routine of the above
  • When you totally shut out of XP try the following tutorial: http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658 . It will use the registry back ups of system restore in an ingenious way to get back