Comodo standalone firewall

Hello,

I was doing a Google search for information on Comodo’s firewall. I was trying to get some information so that I could add to a discussion that I was having on another forum about firewalls. I know that Comodo used to offer a standalone firewall, but as I understand it, they no longer do; the only way to get the firewall is by downloading Comodo Internet Security (although, if I’m not mistaken, there is the option to not install the anti-virus component). Is this correct?

Somebody please tell me if my understanding of the situation is correct. I believe it is because I just saw a similar post (see below) from a few days ago where somebody else had asked the same thing, and they were told that the standalone firewall is no longer offered.

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-standalone-firewall-help-resolved-t80995.0.html

Now that, of course, should answer my question; and it would have, had it not been for somebody directing me to a link that seems to contradict what was said in the thread above. When I stated in the other forum that Comodo no longer makes a standalone firewall (based on what I read here), I was corrected by several other posters who told me that I was misinformed, and they referred me to the following link:

So now I am confused. The link does, in fact, appear to be for a standalone firewall (which I thought was no longer offered), and according to the date of the product (1-23-2012), it also appears to be a current product — and not simply an old version that is being hosted by the site — that is no longer supported by Comodo.

So . . . what’s the deal? Can somebody please explain and clear this up for me.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Comodo no longer offer a ‘pure’ stand alone firewall. The link on Majorgeeks is the same product as the link I gave in the other thread, which installs the firewall and, amongst other things, Defence+. It’s possible to disable D+, but it’s integrated and thus cannot be removed and it’s always there, even when disabled.

In the images below you can see the options available during installation and the result post installation.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you for your fast reply.

So, in other words, even though the download description at MajorGeeks makes no mention of any thing other than a firewall, and even uses the title Comodo Personal Firewall to describe the download, it is, in fact, merely a download for Comodo Internet Security (which includes a firewall). Do I understand properly?

And one more thing: This has nothing to do with my original question, but I would like to know what the term Child Boards mean. I just came across that term as I was browsing through the forums here. I’ve never seen the term used anywhere else, so I thought I’d ask.

Sorry for asking something off topic, but I thought it would be kind of silly to make a whole separate post for such a question.

Not quite as simple as that. All of the installers include the same components, they just expose different options, depending on the version, during installation. The image below is taken from the installation of Comodo Internet Security, you’ll notice its very similar to the earlier option from the firewall installer, but with the addition of the AV. However, even if you use the ‘Comodo firewall’ installer, you can still add the AV post installation, from the start menu. (Image)

And one more thing: This has nothing to do with my original question, but I would like to know what the term [i]Child Boards[/i] mean. I just came across that term as I was browsing through the forums here. I've never seen the term used anywhere else, so I thought I'd ask.

A child board is just a subsection within the hierarchy of the main headings. For example, Comodo Internet Security is a main heading and Help-Cis is one of it’s children.

Okay, it’s becoming more clear. :slight_smile: Please bear with me as I attempt to figure this all out. I think I’m very close!

1.) I see that the installer for the firewall also comes with Defense+ which, as I understand, is a HIPS-type program. The installer gives the impression that having Defense+ enabled is pretty important for the proper functioning of the firewall. If one chooses, however, to not enable it, to what degree does that compromise the firewall? Or, in other words, is it really a must that Defense+ be enabled?

2.) On one of the screenshots that you provided earlier, it illustrated the option to choose whether to enable Defense+ or not. That screenshot, though, is of the configuration settings. What about the installation options; is there an option on the install to not even download Defense+ in the first place, or do you have to accept having it installed — even if you don’t want it?

PS: Thanks for explaining what Child Boards are! Just a different name for sub-forums, I see.

Defence+ is HIPS and it works together with the other components of the suite to provide layered security. However, if you want to use the firewall alone, as I do, you can disable D+. Doing so will not prevent the firewall from doing it’s Job. You could also, for example, run the firewall component of CIS with a third-party application to provide similar functionality. Which components you chose to run totally depends on your personal requirements.

2.) On one of the screenshots that you provided earlier, it illustrated the option to choose whether to enable Defense+ or not. That screenshot, though, is of the configuration settings. What about the installation options; is there an option on the install to not even download Defense+ in the first place, or do you have to accept having it installed — even if you don't want it?

As I mentioned earlier, D+ is an integral component of the suite, it’s part of all the installers and the only option you have is to disable it. You cannot choose not to install it.

If a person decided to enable the Defense+ component along with the firewall, and if they already had something running like, say, Windows Defender or Spybot S & D’s TeaTimer (both of which do many of the same things that a HIPS program does), would there be any conflicts between them and Defense+?

My guess is that there would be, but I’d like to have your opinion.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, Windows Defender is disabled when you install CIS, it’s part of the installation process. With regard to Tea Timer, there’s really no need to run both, as they overlap in functionality, although D+ is more comprehensive. As a good rule of thumb, it’s not a good idea to run two security applications that effectively do the same thing, doing so will likely lead to problems.

Thank you. That’s exactly what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm

Do you happen to know, by the way, if Defense+ is disabled, does it still have any running processes (any whatsoever) — or is it totally dead?

The processes still run, what’s more, D+ still intervenes when it believes it’s appropriate. Even though it’s disabled, it’s not very disabled ;D

:o

I thought I was all done until I read your answer! Not what I expected to hear — lol.

So, what is the actual difference then between a disabled Defense+ (that still runs anyway) and one that hasn’t been disabled?!

And since it behaves that way, and since there’s no way not to download it, can it be killed somehow by, say, going into the folder and simply deleting the appropriate files — or by any other similar means?

To completely disable defense + you have to check “Permanently disable defense +” under settings & restart the system.

The aforementioned alert is something you’re only likely to see on very rare occasions, I wasn’t even aware of it until it happened, and I’ve been using CIS for a long time. If you were to run CIS with D+ enabled (really enabled) you’d notice quite a difference.

If you’re looking to run just the firewall and you’re worried about this D+ intervention, don’t be. Unless you run an application that CIS thinks is really bad (Bullguard isn’t - it’s been removed as a threat) you’ll never hear anything from D+.

And since it behaves that way, and since there's no way not to download it, can it be killed somehow by, say, going into the folder and simply deleting the appropriate files — or by any other similar means?

I’m afraid not.

Thanks naran. D+ is also permanently disabled if you choose that option during installation. Regardless of that, D+ still intervenes on occasion.

I never got any D+ alerts when it was permanently disabled.

I too wanted to run Comodo FW & AV & no D+. But disabling D+ looses self protection. So now I am running D+ enabled but under D+ settings I have checked “Dont give popup alerts” & set it to allow & disabled sandbox. This way I get self protection & D+ is like disabled too. With this config too I never got any D+ alerts. So its strange as you mentioned there are few rare D+ alerts even when it is disabled permanently. Atleast here I never got any D+ alerts.

I guess you missed it. The screenshot you have posted is a firewall alert & not D+ alert.

Read the alert naren.

I know the security consideration mentions D+ but basically its a firewall alert & the alert is for connection as it mentions on the top trying to connect.

So under firewall settings if you check dont give popup alerts & set it to allow, you will not get this alert as its a FW alert & it will be allowed automatically as per the setting. Can you check this?

“Defense+ malwar heuristisc analysis has detected possible…”

Defence+ is disabled!

So under firewall settings if you check dont give popup alerts & set it to allow, you will not get this alert as its a FW alert & it will be allowed automatically as per the setting. Can you check this?

Naren, the point of this thread is about running CIS without D+, it’s not about individual settings. If you’d like to experiment, please feel free.

What I meant was if its a FW alert then it will not appear if under settings FW alerts are allowed automatically. But if D+ is doing something even in disabled state & the alert is D+ alert then it should appear irrespective of FW settings, right?

If you agree then I will check it now.