Comodo Security Agent failed to start after updating CIS to 8.2.0.4951

I’ve been using the FREE version of Comodo Firewall for years and years. Well, unfortunately today, I had to uninstall it. Reason: Last night (before shutting down my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate) I allowed Comodo to update to the current version 8.2.0.4951. When I turned on my computer this morning, I was met with a Blue Screen. By the way, the first one I have seen on any of my four home computers in over three years.

I rebooted, clicked the F8 key and selected “Last known good…”. Once Windows appeared, I then received: “Comodo Security Agent failed to start.” Then Comodo attempted to diagnose the problem. Obviously it didn’t work because the message popped up three more times with no affect. When I attempted to check my Thunderbird Email, I could not connect. When I attempted to connect to my Firefox (version 3.9) browser, no connection. Finally, Malwarebytes could not be updated. That did it. I started my other computer and searched dozens of Comodo’s forums and subsequent threads for anyone else having my problem. Lo and behold, there were quite a few. The worst part, nobody had a solution. Absolutely nobody! Another thing that sort of irked me was to read that dozens of people were saying that they were having a very difficult time trying to completely uninstall Comodo. That is never a good thing for ANY software – regardless of it’s “noble” intentions.

The first thing I did was to uninstall Comodo’s Firewall driver by opening up the Windows "Network and Sharing Center, clicking on, "Change adapter settings\Local Area Connection\Properties\Network. Then, highlighting the Comodo Firewall Driver and uninstalling. I went to the second phase by firing up Revo Uninstaller Pro and performing an advanced uninstall (which removed Comodo’s data from the Windows Registry and any other leftover files from the installation folders.

I rebooted and decided to reinstall Comodo. I immediately noticed that my Internet connection was once again disabled, as Comodo stalled out at the 67% for over 15 minutes! I opened up Windows Task Manager to abruptly “End the Process”. I repeated the above process to uninstall Comodo for the second time.

At this point, I will wait for Comodo’s programmers to find a workable solution. In the meantime, I’ll temporarily use one of my other firewall programs. I must say, that all of this business has left a very sour taste in my mouth for this “updated” version of the firewall. I ‘still’ prefer Comodo’s Firewall over all the others, but… For those who have met with success installking and using Comodo, congratulations!

My solution was to install v7.0.317799.4142

http://www.filehorse.com/download-comodo-internet-security/old-versions/

https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-cis/why-did-you-uninstall-cis-please-help-us-improve-by-telling-us-why-t73410.0.html;msg805758#msg805758

Hi and welcome NYCGRFIFF,
Did you let the initial reboot process cycle complete when asked to restart to complete the installation, or did you shut the system down without restart until morning?
I am just wondering if this cycle is interrupted whether or not this could be a common factor for other users experiencing similar issues.

Thanks.

Hi NYCGRFIFF,

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedbacks.

Could you please kindly create a bug report for your specific problem; with the steps to reproduce: Comodo Forum

It would be kindly appreciated if you could run the diagnostics and send us the reports.

Waiting for your reply

Kind Regards
Buket

[quote author=captainsticks link=topic=111391.msg812582#msg812582 date=1436323791]
Hi and welcome NYCGRFIFF,
Did you let the initial reboot process cycle complete when asked to restart to complete the installation, or did you shut the system down without restart until morning?
I am just wondering if this cycle is interrupted whether or not this could be a common factor for other users experiencing similar issues.

Thanks.

In my initial message to this board, I stated that I simply installed the latest update, and allowed Comodo to reboot my computer. Everything appeared normally as in the past. I then shut down my computer. The next morning, I was greeted with Microsoft’s dreaded "Blue Screen. As I mentioned in my original post, the only way that I could access the Internet was to completely uninstall Comodo. Once I did, all Internet access returned to normal. So, I attempted to reinstalled Comodo. It failed. Attached is a screenshot

[attachment deleted by admin]

Update: After rebooting and reinstalling, and rebooting and reinstalling (ad infinitum ad nauseam) Comodo finally appeared to finish installing. But, wouldn’t you know it. I received the following attached message. Gentlemen, I have taken a great deal of time from my schedule to try and remedy this problem. Too much time, with nothing to show, other than time wasted and exasperation. As I’ve stated, I absolutely “love” Comodo (when it’s working). However, time, time, time, is extremely important to me. I really can’t afford to waste anymore of it on “solutions” or troubleshooting tips and multiple shards of advice that simply are NOT working (at least in my particular case). Big thanks to all of you that have stepped up and tried to assist. However, I will try L.A.R. Grizzly’s suggestion and see if the earlier version (7.0.317799.4142) will work.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You seem to have run into the same experiences I had. Be sure to clean your system with the recommended Comodo cleaners before you install v7.0. If you do, I think you will be successful.

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-faq-cis/forced-uninstaller-tools-t95115.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/most-effective-way-to-reinstallupdate-cis-to-avoidfix-problems-t58620.0.html

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/autostart-applications-wont-load-it-takes-very-long-t111880.0.html;msg812279#msg812279

Hi L.A.R.:

Thanks for your input. I will perform all of the necessary suggestions later (after work) and try v7.0.317799.4142. I will keep you updated.