Comodo Secure DNS vs. ClearCloud DNS

Hello,
a Youtube-user had tested this service, but CSD failed ???

Impressive performance for ClearCloud.
Comodo Secure DNS seems to have basic features, like MDL hosts file. It’s useful if the novice users don’t use hosts file, but CSD isn’t ground breaking.
I’m currently using it, but I’ll switch to ClearCloud to see how it performs.

Impressive performance for ClearCloud
How much time do you save when downloading something with ClearCloud?? I ask this because for me, there's hardly any speed differences between the two. So I decided to look up a couple of different results that some websites show and there comparing it to the speed of millisecond differences on the charts. I don't care about milliseconds. So for me it comes down to the features A millisecond is a thousandth (1/1,000) of a second <---For those that don't know

For me, I’m happy with Comodo Secure DNS because I don’t have to worry about being redirected to some known malware or phishing sites. I trust comodo in not getting my connection hijacked (figure of speech, of course)

“Impressive performance” in terms of blocking, not download speed (which is irrelevant when you talk about DNS, it’s a system that resolve domain name, it has nothing to do with download speed).

Did you watch the video?
ClearCloud blocks more stuff than Comodo SecureDNS.

edit:
tl;dw: out of 20 links, Comodo didn’t block 12, ClearCloud didn’t block 2.

Did it include the screen that says "this download has been reported to be unsafe " but choose to download it anyway?

Yes, geraner downloaded the files without warning.
Watch the video.

Contains ClearCloud the database from Malwaredomainlist (Hostslist) - maybe ?

I think both (CSD and ClearCloud) contain MDL hosts file.

Yes, geraner downloaded the files without warning. Watch the video.
Yes I watched the video. It does, but he click on the download anyway button so fast it's hard to see Here's a picture to look for

[attachment deleted by admin]

You don’t seem to understand how Comodo SecureDNS works… but… ok.

What is a DNS: Domain Name System - Wikipedia

Comodo SecureDNS should return a different address, if the website is unsafe, to show a page and alert the user.
You should see a screen like the ClearCloud one, inside the browser, which says “this website is dangerous”.
The screen behind shows that the URL doesn’t work.

And the popup is certainly a Windows protection or an AV.

edit:
well… I tried to search a video to show you what it looks like when CSD block something, but I couldn’t find a video that show that :-/
In fact, CSD blocked nothing in the video above. 12 out of 20 was because the other links were broken.
If you want, I can PM you a simple website which I know is blocked by CSD, if you want to test it.

Comodo SecureDNS should return a different address, is the website is unsafe, to show a page and alert the user. You should see a screen like the ClearCloud one, inside the browser, which says "this website is dangerous". The screen behind shows that the URL doesn't work.

And the popup is certainly a Windows protection or an AV.

point taken :-TU

You took your time
For a point to be taken
That’s not a crime
But enough to be shaken

Just for the LuLz, today I reported a FP to ClearCloud… github.com :-/
The whole domain is currently blocked…

They also block cache.gawker.com, which is used by kotaku or lifehacker, they store their images there.
I reported it, they removed it a few days, then blocked it again.

A useful feature for Comodo SecureDNS would be something like file intelligence, a database to search why a domain was blocked. Currently, with CSD and ClearCloud, we don’t have a feedback because of why it was blocked.

edit: wow… I visited their forum and someone reported github.com… 2 weeks ago :-/
They were faster when I reported cache.gawker.com, I don’t know what they’re doing…

edit2: I received an email, they will unblock it in the next update. They may not read the forum but they react quickly.

I also reported a false positive from the block page and they e-mailed me the same day, and fixed it in a day; but they do not seem to reply to the forum as fast, but it is good that they have an option to report from the block page and they actually respond. :wink:

I hope Comodo DNS will implement something like that Soon. :slight_smile:

Today I gave Comodo DNS a chance to fight against ClearCloud DNS…
Links that were tested are on malc0de database page 1.

Results:
ClearCloud DNS: 22 blocked links
Comodo DNS: 3 blocked links

Comodo SiteInspector detects malwares better than Comodo DNS, but SI is manual thing.

Thanxx
Naren

I hope it’s going to be implemented in CIS soon…

GFI is going to shut down ClearCloud DNS on 1st of September 2011!

it would be nice if comodo could buy clear cloud and learn what they do different so comodo can start doing it because clear cloud is the best i’ve seen so far

Comodo have already purchased DNS.com which Melih stated would be a game changer.

Right now the the DNS service provided by Comodo is hosted by Neustar/ UltraDNS so I wouldn’t expect many changes until the new service comes on stream.