Comodo´s Secure DNS [Merged Threads]

OK so just a question: is that really enough to just change the dns address on the computer when the router’s dns addresses are still the ISP’s ones? In that case do the computer settings under ipv4 prevail over the router settings or does one have to change it in the router too? thanks.

ps: reason I’m asking is the dns settings on my router are only editable if I switch to a fixed IP at the same time…and I’m not sure at all my ISP let people do that.

edit: how can I check the Comodo dns is taken into account?

In order for your Router’s DNS forwarding to work, then usually the Router’s IP needs to be specified in Windows DNS Primary IP field. Without this, the Router cannot perform DNS forwarding for Windows, because Windows never asks the Router for a DNS request. So, with the DNS requests going elsewhere, the router (and your ISP) should be none the wiser.

I hope that answers your query.

Router Instructions

thanks for the feedback guys. So you seem to confirm what I thought, both the PC and router’s settings must be changed for obvious consistency.

edit: actually no, changing the router only should be enough, while leaving the PC in auto.

No, it is easier to manage from just the Router because you only have to change it one place. But, the change could be applied at Windows level without any changes being made to the Router’s DNS settings and it should still work.

yeah, I edited my post probably while you wrote yours… :wink:

Ah, yes… I think you did. Sorry. :slight_smile:

I also have a question about the secure DNS feature, from my IP it goes to the Comodo secure DNS server then from the comodo DNS server it goes to my actually DNS server?
The Comodo DNS server acts as a proxy between me and my real DNS??

I don’t believe so, or rather… that it not my current understanding. I believe your DNS request goes to Comodo’s DNS & is then routed to a Comodo DNS that is geographically nearest to you. Your DNS request is then answered by Comodo’s nearest DNS to you, directly. I don’t believe your ISP’s DNS would be involved at all.

that’s my interpretation too, Comodo dns server is just as relevant as any other dns. Once you choose it, your ISP’s DNS is just not used anymore. There’s no such thing as your “real” DNS. Your ISP keeps forwarding the traffic (yeah, otherwise no Internet ;D ), but without doing the DNS tasks.

Indeed it is meant to supersede/replace the ISP DNS

[b]Comodo Secure DNS[/b]

Enjoy a safer, smarter and faster Internet

Comodo Secure DNS is a domain name resolution service that resolves your DNS requests through our worldwide network of redundant DNS servers. This can provide a much faster and more reliable Internet browsing experience than using the DNS servers provided by your ISP and does not require any hardware or software installation.

Comodo Secure DNS gives you a safer, smarter and faster Internet because it’s:

More Reliable - Comodo’s Secure DNS’s server infrastructure currently spans 15 locations (nodes) and five continents around the world. This allows us to offer you the most reliable fully redundant DNS service anywhere. Each node has multiple servers, and is connected by several Tier 1 carriers to the Internet.

Faster - Our strategically placed nodes are located at the most optimal intersections of the Internet. Unlike most DNS providers, our request routing technology means that no matter where you are located in the world, your DNS requests are answered by the closest available set of servers. Combine this with our huge cache and we can get the answers you seek faster and more reliably than ever before.

Smarter - Comodo’s highly structured DNS system and guide pages get you where you want to be, when you inadvertently attempt to go to a site that doesn’t exist. Parked’ or ‘not in use’ domains are automatically detected and forwarded.

Safer - As a leading provider of computer security solutions, we are keenly aware of the dangers that plague the Internet today. Our ‘name cache invalidation’ solution signals the Comodo Secure DNS recursive servers whenever a DNS record is updated, fundamentally eliminating the concept of a TTL. Directing your requests through our highly secure servers can also reduces your exposure to the DNS Cache Poisoning attacks that may affect everybody else using your ISP.

http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/index.html

Is this just a rebranded version of DNS Advantage or was there something added to it specifically for Comodo?

I’m not familiar with DNS Advantage, but I guess the main difference could be that one is run by Comodo and the other by someone else, who is not Comodo and does not have Comodo’s reputation?

Do you think so? You might want to compare these:
http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/index.html
http://dnsadvantage.com/dnsadv/index.html

You also might want to check the IP-addresses both “completely different” services use.
156.154.70.22 and 156.154.71.22
versus
156.154.70.1 and 156.154.71.1

Did you notice anything?

yeah I already heard about that earlier today on Wilders security forums… ;D but didn’t check anything; yeah, your links talk man :wink:

They’re both using UltraDNS?

it’s not just that, a bit weird the presentation of the dns servers is the same, word for word, on the two sites…

Because they are both using UltraDNS is my guess. Check UltraDNS, it’s not really my field.

Check this out. Comodo’s Setup Page for XP is almost a direct copy of DNS Advantage’s setup page. ???

http://dnsadvantage.com/switch/windows_xp.html

Ahh, now that makes some sense…

yeah just did: it sounds like DNSAdvantage doesn’t just use UltraDNS, they seem to belong to UltraDNS