COMODO Registry Cleaner 1.0.17.23 Bug Reports

Please post all bug reports & BSOD’s here.

Be sure to include:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit)
  • Security Software Installed
  • How you produced the problem
  • How you tried to resolve the problem
  • Post Memory Dumps on crash if you encounter any
  • Any other Additional Information

Thanks.

LA

Security Software: CMF, CBOClean, CIS RC1 (CAV3 on-demand), Avira Antivir, Threatfire, SAS, MBAM.

Problem: Help file cannot be accessed from Miscellaneous but can be accessed from Start Menu link.

Tried to uninstall and reinstall the current version, but the problem persists.

Rhaegar

Same problem as Rhaegar.

1. Windows XP Pro SP3
  2. CIS RC1 and BOClean 4.27
  3. Cannot open help file from miscellaneous (can manually). Works fine on Vista though.
  4. Tried re-installing CRC
  5. n/a
  6. na/

:slight_smile:

That is most interesting. Just the opposite seems to be true for me. I have 3 Vista machines, 2 running Ultimate and 1 running Business, and I cannot open the Help file from Miscellaneous within CRC on any of these Vista machines, but can open it from Start\Comodo\Regsitry Cleaner\Manual. From our laptop running XP SP3, I can open the Help file from Miscellaneous within CRC.

Registery Cleaner breaks HP 2840 All-in-One Color Laserjet software installation.

1. Did an initial scan with Registry Cleaner.
  2. Cleaned safe entries only.
  3. Rebooted.
  4. During boot sequence, Windows installer started and displayed “Please wait whil Windows configures Scan.”
  5. Asked for a CD I didn’t have, so I tried to cancel the installer. The installer would restart immediately in an endless loop after clicking the cancel button but could be stopped with Task Manager.
  6. After stopping the installer with Task Manager, the boot sequence proceeded normally except that the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon did not appear in the system tray.
  7. After a reboot, installer tried to install Scan again.
  8. Uninstalling and reinstalling the HP 2840 support software solved the problem

–Additional information requested is listed below.

Be sure to include:

• Your Operating System (and whether it’s 32bit/64bit)
    XP Pro, SP3, 32-bit

• Security Software Installed
    BOClean, Comodo Firewall Pro, NOD32

• How you produced the problem

1. Did an initial scan with Registry Cleaner.
  2. Cleaned safe entries only.
  3. Rebooted.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled HP 2840 software, which fixed the problem

This all took about a 1.5 hours. Needless to say, even though Registry Cleaner finds many bad entries that RegVac does not, I will not be using Registry Cleaner again untill I am assured doing so will not break my HP 2840 installation.

Regards,
Scott Lewis

Vista Home Basic SP1 32 bit

No security software

Problem occurred by scanning with CRC. Basically what happens is when it scans the file associations, it goes in loops of the vista virtualstore. cuz theres like HKCU\Virtualstore…\Virtualstore…\Virtualstore…\Virtualstore… etc The scan like never ends.

Unsure how I can proceed cuz I’m not sure If I should just delete all the virtualstores and whether that would kill the comp or not

Most registry cleaners will sometimes find entries that are needed for software or hardware to run. Next time before you remove the registry errors, look for any entries that relate to the HP 2840. In going down the list of registry erros, they should be fairly easy to find. Uncheck them and then right-click the entries to add them to the Ignore List. You should then be fine in removing the remaining registry errors.

You could have saved a great deal of time if you would have just restored the registry from the registry backup that CRC made before removing the registry errors. Then you could have run CRC again and looked for and excluded the HP entries before deleting the remaining registry errors. CRC is probably only finding somewhere between 2 and 5 entries that refer to the HP 2840 all-in-one printer\scanner\copier. This seems to be a common problem for anyone who has an HP printer or all-in-one.

Most registry cleaners will sometimes find entries that are needed for software or hardware to run. Next time before you remove the registry errors, look for any entries that relate to the HP 2840. In going down the list of registry erros, they should be fairly easy to find. Uncheck them and then right-click the entries to add them to the Ignore List. You should then be fine in removing the remaining registry errors.

–Looking for specific entries is cumbersome when Registry Cleaner finds 569 “safe” entries. Next time, it could be easier if fewer entries are found.

You could have saved a great deal of time if you would have just restored the registry from the registry backup that CRC made before removing the registry errors.

–You’re right, of course.

Then you could have run CRC again and looked for and excluded the HP entries before deleting the remaining registry errors.

–Again, this is not a trivial task with 569 entries and prone to error.

CRC is probably only finding somewhere between 2 and 5 entries that refer to the HP 2840 all-in-one printer\scanner\copier. This seems to be a common problem for anyone who has an HP printer or all-in-one.

–It may be a common problem with CRC, but RegVac does not break the HP 2840 software, nore did some other cleaner I used to use. It should be fixed in CRC.

Regards,
Scott

Hello,
Have been using Comodo Firewall and am pleased with it. Found Comodo Registry Cleaner and gave it a try.

1. XP Home SP2
  2. Comodo firewall
  3. AVG8
  4. Avast 4.8
    When I did the scan I backup up registry and set restore point. When I cleaned the found items (several hundred if my memory is correct) my MS Defrag was missing and the MS helpcntr.exe was gone. At this point I did a past restore and got everything back. What did I do wrong?
    glennc7000

CRC detects some valid file association entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts as invalid, most notably associations created by IrfanView.

Example (association for jpeg2000):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jp2]
@=""
"ProgID"="IrfanView.JP2"

As long as there is a valid IrfanView.JP2 entry in HKCR, this is a valid file association and if deleted, the association will be broken.

Windows XP Pro, 32 bit.

I both a previous Beta version and in the current 1.0.17.23 version I get errors scanning “COM and ActiveX” section. The error message is generic, “An error occurred during the registry scan process!” The log file says “An error occurred while scanning your registry!” and “Scan aborted!”. At the point the scan aborts, I am able to delete previously found problems.

I checked the Registry key that was showing at the time the error occurred, backed it up then deleted it and scanned again. I had to do this with 7 Registry keys before I could get the scan to complete. I have attached a .zip file with the export of the problem keys.

This might be a clue: In each case the Default value of the InprocServer32 key is type REG_EXPAND_SZ instead of the more normal REG_SZ type. I do a bit of programming and I can see where that might cause an error if the logic is trying to read a string value and returning a hex value, but obviously that’s just a wild guess.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1: Vista Home Premium 64bit
2: CIS 3.5.54375.427 and BOClean 4.27
3: When creating a restore point after scanning, windows closes the program saying it’s unresponsive
4: Reinstalled in “Program Files” folder rather than the default “Program Files (x86)” folder

Now works fine

After running updated CRC and deleting all safe entries I was unable to install the updates for Office 2003 (KB957832 and KB951535 - got error code was 0x80070643). I restored the back-up of crc and was able to install the updates.

Win32XPproSP3
CIS & BOClean
Administrator account.

Had same problem on one other machine of same configuration. Others in the forum have had the same problem.