Comodo REFUSES to stop antivirus scan.

This program makes me want to put my fist trough the screen.

After installing it, everytime the computer start, Comodo runs the antivirus scan. I have the sceduled scans disabled, and even when I press “STOP scanning” I get a message “Are you sure you want to stop scanning?”, then i press yes, and nothing happens, instead I get a stupid message about “backround tasks” and then it keeps scanning in the backround.

Can someone tell me what the problem is?

Comodo will perform an initial quick scan. This shouldn’t take more than about 10 minutes on most computers. If you allow this to finish, and have disabled scheduled scans, there will not be any more scans. This scan is to build a cache of the safe files on your computer and quickly check common areas for malware infections. It is strongly recommended to just let it finish. It is a one-time thing.

A quick scan might take 10 minutes, but not if you have an older laptop with a slow hard drive.

The point is that when it asks me if I want to stop the scan, but it continues.

The scan is hanging on C:\Windows\Help, and I can’t close it.

Okay, now I understand. I hadn’t realized it was hanging on a file. This may be a bug then.

However, to ensure that this wasn’t just caused by a bad install, which can sometimes happen, please try reinstalling by following the advice I give in this topic. That may be able to solve the issue.

If, even after reinstalling the scan still hangs on that file (by the way, how long does it hang) it would be a good idea to create a bug report about this in this section of the forum. Be sure to use the format provided in this topic.

Thank you.

I was trying to uninstall it so I can do a full sector scan on the drive, but then I realized I HAVE to tell Comodo WHY I’m uninstalling it. I 88)

Then after I uninstalled it I saw that TrojanBuddy (Geekbuddy) was still installed. You would THINK that it would uninstall that too without me having to do it manually.

This is optional, you can leave the box empty and continue.

GeekBuddy is not a trojan. In fact, it can be opted out during installation by going to Customize Installer. Also, it can be easily removed through Add/Remove programs.

Also, be sure to run the uninstall tools I advise in that other topic after uninstalling CIS. These will remove any files which may have been left after an improper uninstall.

Thanks.

Thanks for the help. CIS 6 is horrible on my laptop. I thought the hard drive was dying, so I ran a full sector scan on it in windows, then reinstalled CIS 6 and it still hung while scanning. It was hanging on scanning the registry entries as well as hard drive files.

I finally gave up after about 3 reinstalls, each time running registry cleanup tools to eliminate all traces of CIS before reinstalling.

I finally decided on Zonealarm antivirus and firewall for the laptop, which has no problem. Also scanning with Malwarebyte/Emsisoft does not lock up or hang. It is definitely a problem with Comodo.

Where can I download the last build of version 5 CIS?

I had no problem with CIS 5 until i updated to version 6. I want to stick with CIS because it’s one of the only programs that automatically blocks/sandboxes unknown files but it has so many annoyances.

You can find old versions of CIS here. There is a drop-down list for choosing the version you want to download.

It is a rogue, separate install that forces itself upon the user unless they specifically go to the custom install options. It shouldn’t be in the custom install options, it should be right there in the main install option, automatically unchecked.

That’s dangerously close to trojan behavior. If I install software A and it installs software X sneakily in the background without asking me first, that’s trojan to me.

It’s not a rogue, for such a loaded accusation you also need proof and here I’ve seen none.

I disagree that it shouldn’t be in the custom install options, there is where you customize the install and not wanting GeekBudy would be wanting to customize the installation, however I agree that it should be unchecked by default from the installers of the free version of CIS.
Though it’s also my opinion that you deserve to get such software installed if you don’t pay attention to the options during install.

No, that is not even close to Trojan behavior because it doesn’t install it sneakily in the background, you’re just not paying attention to the options during install and hence it’s your fault if you didn’t want it installed.

It’s not my fault it’s hidden behind “custom” options. An express install should only contain the essentials. In this case: CIS and Firewall.

“Custom install options” shouldn’t even exist. The best installer I have ever seen is for the Opera web browser. Everything is contained in a single box, no clicking next-next-next. Comodo needs this sort of thing for their installer.

It was also somewhat annoying to have Comodo Dragon installed without permission. Not only was it installed without permission, but it was not included with the installer, so it essentially connected to the Internet without permission, downloaded the browser without permission, and then installed it without permission.

Not that I don’t like Dragon - it is my preferred webkit browser, but I do not think sneak installs are the right way to go with Comodo’s products.

It’s not your fault that they are behind custom options, it’s your fault for not checking there. Also an express install doesn’t mean a minimalistic install, often it’s the contrary.

Comodo Dragon is also optional and you have it under the custom installation settings, so no it did not install without permission and it did not connect to the Internet without your permission either, that is unless there is a bug with the installer and un-checking Comodo Dragon doesn’t work? It did work for me though.

Did you uncheck the “scan at start up” box.?

It’s not a trojan.

Welcome to the inconveniences of the web. One simply needs to get used to always checking an installer.

"Custom install options" shouldn't even exist. The best installer I have ever seen is for the Opera web browser. Everything is contained in a single box, no clicking next-next-next. Comodo needs this sort of thing for their installer.

It was also somewhat annoying to have Comodo Dragon installed without permission. Not only was it installed without permission, but it was not included with the installer, so it essentially connected to the Internet without permission, downloaded the browser without permission, and then installed it without permission.

Not that I don’t like Dragon - it is my preferred webkit browser, but I do not think sneak installs are the right way to go with Comodo’s products.

Opera is not a great example as it has an advanced settings option in the installer as well.

Fixed quote structure. Eric

I have to agree with you. After installing CIS you don’t even know Geekbuddy is installed until you get a virus detection and a windows pops up and says “would you like geekbuddy to help you remove the virus”. You can select “no thanks, I’ll remove it myself”. That’s the only indication that there is a program which is capable of remotely controlling your computer.

I shouldn’t have used the word trojan, because that’s a bit harsh and misleading and I wouldn’t want to be sued by Comodo for libel.

Comodo would not sue you for this.

Please stop the off topic comments. There are topics about this already.

I know this, I just assumed Comodo would be better than this. I guess not :confused:

On the contrary, Opera is a great example.

In Opera, there are no options unless you click advanced. This leaves no room for confusion. You either want to change options, or you don’t.
In Comodo, there are a few options, and then there’s advanced. This makes a big difference, because you assume the few options available under the basic installer would cover everything, and that advanced would be other things, such as install directory and language packs.

you still get that alert even if you don’t have geek buddy installed on your CPU.
Here is a wish someone made about this.
https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t92295.0.html;topicseen

You wot m8?

Oh man I almost passed out from all the laughing. You two Sirs just made my day, thank you. ;D