Comodo real time virus scanning slows defragging process

I have recently started using the virus protection of Comodo Internet Security. Since the convergence, I noticed that running Perfectdisk10 defragger slows to a crawl when defragging the system (Vista). Raxco Perfectdisk help section answered the question as follows:

[i][i]Analyzing or defragmenting my drive is taking longer than expected or appears to hang.
If PerfectDisk is taking longer to analyze/defragment a drive than expected or appears to “hang”, the issue can usually be traced back to your antivirus/security/firewall software. These software products typically install what is known as a file system filter driver that intercepts and “filters” the disk I/O - checking to see if any sort of malware is detected - before allowing the disk I/O to be completed. Many times, the file system filter can’t keep up with the disk I/O that PerfectDisk generates - which in turns results in a slow down in defragmentation.

Software known to cause this issue are Panda antivirus, Kapersky antivirus, Counter Spy and ZoneAlarm. However, there may be additional antivirus/security/firewall software that can this to happen as well.

To see if your antivirus/security/firewall software is what is causing PerfectDisk’s defrag pass to be slow, please temporarily un-install or disable this software from your system (un-installing may require a reboot). Uninstalling will ensure that any file system filter has been removed from memory and is no longer intercepting disk I/O. Simply disabling your software may leave a file system filter still running in memory and intercepting disk I/O.
[/i][/i]
Apparently, Comodo Virus should be included with this issue. If I disable the virus realtime scanning feature, the defragging speeds right up. This did not happen when I previously used AVG antivirus.

Is there a way to option Commodo Internet Security Virus to avoid this problem based on the reason described above without disabling the virus realtime protection?

I have the same problem with Roxio. Analyzing and defrag takes extremely long.

I’m not going to disable the AV just to defrag the PC, but it would be nice to find a solution to this type of problem (or at least minimize it).

Hi Guys,

If you look at this from different perspective it may not be a big issue if an issue at all.

You are not doing defragmentation of whole drive(s) every day.
It is always recommended to run such utilities as Defrag when there is as minimum interruptions (background processes) as possible. I know that it’s basically safe running it when disc can be busy doing something else. That is not a question.
Question is why would you do that? “Anything elese” running at the same time will decrease performance of defrag for sure anyway.
Another question is why would you want real-time AV “onAccess” be active at the same time?
Say, you would not run Chkdsk when something else is running AV included - there are strong recommendations about that.
You probably will not perform substantial Backups or disk cloning/imaging as well when there are interruptions.

My opinion; and that’s how I am doing it with defrags / backups cloning and other serious disk maintenance:
I am doing full defragmentation not more than once in half year and sometimes less frequently. Before doing that I would disconnect. I will do proper disk registry cleaning.
I may run full scan. If you want you can do that with several AV/ anti-malware scanners. Then I will disable all security; sometimes completely - services startups and so on and then reboot. Now computer can do those maintenance jobs using all its power.

Sure there are other technic to defrag. You can use real-time defragmentation. In this case that is going on in small portions and only when PC is idle, so well AV can be active as you mentioned. There will not be tangible decrease of defrag performance.

You can Use tools like Defragler or Contig and defrag certain files/folders.
I tried all of those (last two I am using more often). In this case according to my experience you may ignore the fact that AV real-time is active because in average if you are taking care of defragmentation these defrag sessions are really fast.

My point is - the performance of AV scanner, including its real-time part is important by itself and better to be improved. But “taking care" of some improvements in this area because of defragmentation isnt’ really an issue - those are kinda really-really remotely related processes, which can live and work using their best performances, being basically separated.

That’s how I see it.

My regards

P.S. If I am not mistaken by the name - RejZoR - one of the members of this society is an author of a shell for Contig called Power Defragmenter. Probably he can add his thoughts to this thread.

Agree 1000%. :slight_smile:

Disable all running processes and your screen saver and do it overnight. Otherwise, why waste your time. Run CCCleaner first, too (it’s free).

JKdfrag GUI (which includes JKDfrag) is about the best free defrag there is for defrag/selective defrag.

I have been using IObit Smart Defrag and have not had any problems. CAV will, however, give you a popup if the defragger analyzes a suspicious file. Therefore, I would recommend a full systems scan at some time before defragmenting.

Hi Guys,

@DallasBill Thanks for agreeing :slight_smile:

@Sammo Exactly!
That was the point of what was written about checking those things/ detections/ (all those FPs :slight_smile: ) prior to such operations and than running them "off-line as standalone.

Cheers

Like I said, I noticed it, but it’s not worth all the extra effort involved to “fix” it… so I deal with it.

Agreed this is not a problem… Nothing “new” can run anyway while D+ is on, so its safe to disable the AV and do a temporary defrag… Just avoid running any new program…

And if it already is running then your AV has failed to detect it anyway… And you should have blocked it with D+ and not made an allow rule… but what the heck… =)