Comodo Products Collective

Initially discovering Comodo Dragon and Ice Dragon, upon reading up further on Comodo products, I see that there a few other equally invaluable utensils for protecting computers, eg an anti-virus, a firewall and an Internet Security Suite that combines both of those.

As I have AVG anti-virus, would it best to use just AVG or would it be possible to install Comodo anti-virus for extra protection without both anti-viruses clashing with each other?

If the former, I’ll consider installing Comodo’s firewall and turn off Windows Defender, as it’s said Microsoft’s firewall isn’t as secure.

I’ve also read somewhere that Comodo can scan customers’ computers to seek and safely remove malware.

The difficulty I, probably most or all of us find is that, we assume our computers are free of malware, but there could be hidden malware that we’re unaware of.

The only unusual situations I’ve experienced recently, while using Firefox, is that “Find and Replace” suddenly appeared on my taskbar, without me clicking on it, and most strangely of all, that, when I had two tabs open - one a brand new tab, the other “Restore Session”, upon clicking on “Restore Session”, all my tabs were blank. I don’t know if that’s a bug in Firefox or a virus, but if anyone knows why I lost all my tabs, please let me know. Luckily, I can remember what I had tabbed, so was able to easily revisit the sites.

Also, out of the options to use your own ISP’s DNS servers, use Comodo’s Icedragon (for Icedragon only) or for everything, which have you chosen? and what are the main gains between the Comodo DNS server options, from your own experiences?

It’s never a good idea to have to AV’s active at the same time. If you like AVG and wish to continue using it, you can either choose not to install Comodo’s AV, or you could install Comodo’s AV and disable the real-time scanning component. This way you could use Comodo for “second opinion” or on-demand scans.

The same would apply if you choose to give Comodo’s AV a try. Disable any real-time scanning features that AVG has.

I believe Microsoft’s firewall is secure, but it not as easily configurable as Comodo’s. But yes, if you choose to try Comodo’s firewall, you’ll definitely want to disable the Windows firewall, as it’s not recommended to run more than one software firewall on your system.

Yes, the GeekBuddy service can assist with various computer issues, such as virus removal.

I use my ISP’s DNS service. Where I live, it’s faster than SecureDNS.

I also don’t feel that blacklisting domains is a very effective means of protecting you from malicious websites because there are far too many websites to keep tabs on, and malicious sites come and go too quickly. Often within hours. It’s a bit like trying to protect yourself from an avalanche with an umbrella.

What would be the advantages to running SecureDNS? Well, some people like the domain blocking. Also, the newer beta service also adds user-selectable blocking of website types. For example, if you don’t want your kids viewing adult websites, SecureDNS can block them. Depending on where you live, the servers may even respond quicker than your IPS servers.

I felt it best to make use of Comodo’s thread to report two infected web site links of an otherwise safe to use domain in case Comodo has this on a safe or dangerous list. As AVG spotted the two infected links, it instantly blocked them and prevented my computer from being infected.

Unfortunately, in the case of Webuda, their web site, or at least parts of it, have been infected for sometime, sadly not for a short time in their case. I don’t know if the owner is aware of this, but if not, the information he’s put up will only be accessible by those who use anti-viruses that don’t pick up on the virus. The site was fully functional originally then all links of it became infected (around Spring last year) and now only two remain infected, so most likely the owner is aware of the problem but someone must keep hacking into his site and re-adding viruses. I believe it’s a genuine site, but frustratingly, it’s prone to viruses.

I’ll ensure I have one anti-virus activated or at least the real-time section disabled to avoid clashing. Thanks for this.

I’m contemplating trying out Comodo’s firewall due to the positive reviews I’ve read. Like with the Icedragon browser, I can always change back to Microsoft’s, if required, but most likely, once I use Comodo’s, I’ll stick with it.

If Manchester (UK) is the nearest Comodo DNS server to where I live (a few hundred miles from my location), on that basis, using my own ISP’s DNS servers would probably enable faster surfing. It’s just a question of me keeping a good balance of speed and most importantly security so, if I accidentally visit an innocent looking but rogue web site, as I’ve found some are, my computer won’t get infected.

As there are 3 options available for DNS servers, I’ll try one out, see how it compares in speed and general effectiveness with my existing Firefox browser navigation speeds and stick with it or change to one of the other options, depending on the outcome. I am certainly looking forward to switching to Icedragon. :slight_smile:

I like the sound of the Secure DNS. The Beta service has an additional invaluable option which I shall keep in mind.

…READ this if nothing else…

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

This facility is very useful, but it’s too technical, doesn’t say how to do the things it recommends and doesn’t elaborate further.

“System nameserver is SLOWER than 3 public alternatives!” - It doesn’t state where or how I find out what those alternatives are.

"This benchmark found 3 publicly available DNS nameservers that are reliably faster than the slowest nameserver currently being used by this system. If you were to adjust your system’s configuration to use the faster of these nameservers instead of what it is currently using, your DNS lookup performance, and all use of the Internet, would be improved.

Recommended Actions:

With at least 95% certainty: Based upon a statistical analysis of the spread in timing value samples received during the benchmark, there is at least a 95% certainty that the performance conclusions stated above are correct. But even so, since changing DNS nameservers requires thought and effort, it’s something you want to be sure about. Therefore, since these results represent a single snapshot in time, you may wish to confirm that the faster alternative nameservers are consistently faster than your system’s currently configured nameservers, and that those public alternatives don’t have any negative characteristics such as being colored orange to signify that they redirect mistaken URLs to an advertising-laden search page rather than returning an error (which will be a concern to some users).

You may also wish to check the relative performance at different times of day to make sure that the performance improvement over your system’s current nameservers is reliable throughout the day.

And you may wish to make sure that the alternative nameservers are enough faster than what you are currently using for the improvement to be worth changing away from what you’re currently using. (This test is only saying that it’s 95% sure they are any amount faster.)"

There is no listing in my Network section of the computer of what my ISP’s DNS server address is, as it runs it but it’s listed blank. I’ve found out the details, in case I try out Comodo’s DNS servers, as recommended for optimum security.

From the above, it looks like I’d be best changing my DNS server, especially as only one is running, but I’ve seen a map somewhere on this site which lists Manchester as the closest location to me, which is several hundred miles away. I could try out one of the two Comodo DNS server options and compare the speed.

I’ve just found the link:

http://dns.com/network/

This sounds good.

Open DNS, attributed to Google (which spies on people’s usage for their statistics), uses Anycast, but Anycast is apparently a separate entity.

“This facility is very useful, but it’s too technical, doesn’t say how to do the things it recommends and doesn’t elaborate further.”

…this is, I believe, because GRC intended this for people who know about, & how to do the DNS thing, otherwise they would provide instructions, as I see other websites have, it’s easy enough to post - & RIGHT, you do want to check it several times until you’re sure it’s consistent - & about reliability. not reliably “faster”, but, “reliable” meaning true resolve, as opposed to redirection to a different site than intended…

They have indeed. It’s just that, not everyone knows all the ins and outs, which is why it’s essential for full details to be put on the sites that make the products.

Having said that, I’ve since found further information since I last wrote on here from another site. GRC has a main results listing then the option to “Build a Custom Resolver List”. This entails more precise information, local to the user who’s downloaded the software, so once this is completed, the accurates are far more accurate, pertaining to the user’s local area rather than another country.

As it says it takes about 37 minutes to check through thousands of servers, I’ll reserve this for later or tomorrow, especially as it suggests to minimise the amount of network use while this is running for optimum accuracy. You’ve made a good point about reliability in all contexts. I see what you mean about some DNS servers cheekily redirecting users to unwanted sites.

I almost opted for DNS Jumper, which sounds very good too, but I persevered with DNS Benchmark and will check the results before sorting out whether to retain my existing ISP’s own DNS server or switch to another one.

Whatever the outcome, the only way is up! :slight_smile:

…when I ran it, it found Sunbelt Software (makers of Vipre), as best score - I’m so pleased with the responsiveness, I’m probably going to just leave, it & skip the 37 min. thing, & just run the basic from time to time to check, unless something else becomes necessary…

…another thing, when I download in IE8, (the dialog box states 139k dl speed, when before Sunbelt, it reported 104k - don’t know if these two things are related - Roadrunner advertises “up to 125 k” for their “Lite”, (lowest speed, supposed to be equivalent to DSL) - I know the MSE updates I get from Microsoft Malware Protection Center, from time to time, (67MB), doesn’t take as long as before, so I’m good /w/ it all…

Puzzlingly, despite being based in the UK and GRC detecting some USA DNS servers, as well as UK ones, it didn’t pick up Comodo’s DNS servers for some reason, even though the USA is much further away from me than Manchester.

However, I will periodically make use of the GRC program in case a more powerful, faster and safe DNS server becomes available.

I’m sure that, in time, all main areas of the UK will have Comodo DNS servers, but at the moment, Manchester is the nearest one to me.

Just observing the Vipre anti-virus on Youtube as I speak.

While clicking on this thread, I found this link displayed differently just now:

https://forums.comodo.com/help-a��-cid/comodo-products-collective-t90751.0.html

The “%EF%BF%BD%EF%BF%BD” section displayed as two symbols.

May or may not be a virus or malware of some kind, as I cleared out the malware earlier, but thought it best to mention.

Upon typing the above address without the symbols:

https://forums.comodo.com/help-a-cid/comodo-products-collective-t90751.0.html, the page displayed as normal, this time without the symbols.

Likewise to this. First displayed as:

https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-a��-pchc/geekbuddy-outside-of-the-usa-t90934.0.html, it still displays without the coded digits as:

https://forums.comodo.com/news-announcements-feedback-a-pchc/geekbuddy-outside-of-the-usa-t90934.0.html