Comodo opening ports

I tried adding a new rule/port for mirc.exe in comodo firewall according to this

https://forums.comodo.com/frequently-asked-questions-faq-for-comodo-firewall/mirc-tutorial-t1544.0.html

but didn’t work. I remember adding a similar rule in a previous version of comodo firewall and it would make my mirc connect to a server instantly instead it takes a while a min or so to connect.

“An irc program that requires acceptance of unrequested ingoing traffic to work.”
… Somehow reminds me on something else :smiley:

Anyway.
Why would you want to open a port? Is it mirc specific?
IRC runs server related. You are connected to a server. The connection is established. Why should you allow unestablished ingoing traffic “then”? (And usually: … “at all”?)

I am not sure if I understand you. But I meant port forward or something, donno if that is the same as opening a port. I’d like to add a rule or port forward a single port for mirc.

I dont know why you would want to open or forward a port for an irc program.
Irc is server side. You make a connection with an outgoing rule. And on this connection you receive messages from the server.
Why do you want to act as if you are an irc server where anybody should be able to make contact to?

Comodo is a two way firewall. But its enough to allow outgoing connections, because the requested packets are allowed to come in. Without ingoing rule.
Unrequested packets are blocked.

Maybe for DCC transfers.

That tutorial is in the archived boards and may be referring to Firewall v2 and cannot be used when using v3 or higher.

How to open a port? Read the following tutorial I made. Substitute the port numbers and protocol for your situation.

To open the port TCP 1723 for example

First step is to determine the MAC or Physical address of you network connector. Go to Start → Run → cmd → enter → a black box will show up and enter the following → ipconfig /all (notice the space before /all) → enter → now look up the Physical address and write it down.

Notice that Physical address = MAC address

Firewall → Network Security policy → Global Rules → Add → fill in the following:
Action: Allow
Protocol: TCP
Direction: In
Description: Incoming Port

Source address: Any
Destination Address: Choose MAC address and fill in the found MAC/Physical address
Source Port: Any
Destination Port: 1723

Then push Apply → Now make sure that the new rule is somewhere above the basic block rule(s) as the bottom (the block rules have red icons); you can drag and drop the rules → Ok.