Comodo On -Team Fortress 2 Blank Screen/Comodo Off - No Problems FYI

Just a heads up. Something unusual happened here last few days. Been using the free Comodo firewall without indecent, then a few days ago I begin having problems opening my Steam TF2. Steam would open but opening TF2 would only give me a blank screen. Had to reboot the machine to get out. I allowed all the files for TF2 and Steam to connect but still no go .I turned off Comodo and got the game back. This is the only game so far that I have had problems with. Thanks.

HP AMD Quad Core, 4 gigs RAM

ATT Elite DSL

Nvidia GForce 9500 GT Video card

Can you show us the Defense + and Firewall logs? They can be found under Defense + → Common Tasks → View Defence + Alerts and Firewall → Common Tasks → View Firewall Alerts.

No firewall events. Here is the Defense + Events log…

http://www.littlepic.info/images/8yau54jv6x8nvurskvnk.jpg

I thought at first it may be the screen saver. I stopped it and still no go. Nothing else was running with the exception of regular systems processes. Everything else opens fine. I tried -no border -refresh 59 -no vid in the launch properties on the game within Steam, still no go. I disabled the Anti Virus portion of Comodo and still nothing. Only when I quit Comodo will the game come up. Not a real big problem. I’m on a wireless link. Linksys router. I don’t recall any updates to Steam when this happened. I’m using W7 64 bit. I use a 26 inch Sharp HD LCD. That is connected to my Vid card via HDMI cable.

At the top I terminated Comodo to play the game.

[attachment deleted by admin]

In the log I see pop ups for Terragen. Is that program required to run with TF2?

No. That’s a totally different program. A 3D landscape producer. Why that would start is beyond me. I wasn’t using the program. I checked the MSCONFIG and the only programs starting is Comodo and HPSYSDRV APP. I checked services and it’s not listed as running. Interesting. I have done Virus scans with Comodo, Malware Bytes, and AVG but nothing shows. None of those with the exception of Comodo anti virus are running. I have them turned off. I have checked the Comodo Computer Security Policy and it doesn’t show. I have the Defense settings on on Safe Mode. Windows Fire wall is off also. I updated the drivers to vid card, uninstalled Steam and reinstalled but get the same problem when Comodo is turned on. I will try some other games through Steam to see if I get the same results.
I have a HP Pentium Dual core, W7, 3gigs, Nvidia 9400 in the living room running Comodo. I will download Steam on to it and see if I get the same results with TF2.

I did a little Google search and found that this tool was used to changes how things look in TF2.

I checked the MSCONFIG and the only programs starting is Comodo and HPSYSDRV APP. I checked services and it's not listed as running. Interesting. I have done Virus scans with Comodo, Malware Bytes, and AVG but nothing shows. None of those with the exception of Comodo anti virus are running. I have them turned off. I have checked the Comodo Computer Security Policy and it doesn't show. I have the Defense settings on on Safe Mode. Windows Fire wall is off also. I updated the drivers to vid card, uninstalled Steam and reinstalled but get the same problem when Comodo is turned on. I will try some other games through Steam to see if I get the same results. I have a HP Pentium Dual core, W7, 3gigs, Nvidia 9400 in the living room running Comodo. I will download Steam on to it and see if I get the same results with TF2.
How did you turn off CIS? Did you only shut down cfp.exe? Or did you disable Defense +completely (Defense + --> Advanced --> Defense + Settings --> and ticked "Deactivate the Defense + permanently (requires a restart of the system)")?

I right clicked the icon on the tool bar and hit exit. I am assuming it shut down Comodo. I tried to run TF2 on the living room computer that I mentioned in my previous post and got the same results. Black screen. I have CIS running in stateful mode on that computer also. I thought perhaps that the CIS pop up window asking you for permission to allow certain parts of the program to interact with the system was interfering with the TF2 screen. The two didn’t like each other and therefore got stuck maybe. I tried disabling the real time scanner and no go. After rebooting, I shut down CIS, started Steam and then the game and the game appeared. I don’t have Terragen on that computer. On the Defence, nothing is logged. It’s not a huge problem really. At least for me. I can shut down Comodo to play. I don’t believe anyone can do anything to me behind my router… I’m downloading my games that I lost when I reinstalled steam. Should be a awhile before I can test them.
It just seems strange that yesterday I could play TF2 with CIS on and no problems.

Just a whim I wonder if nvidia has a problem with CIS.
Active Process CIS

[attachment deleted by admin]

Interesting finding.

If I understand you correctly you are closing down from the systray (at the bottom right). Correct?

Yes, on both computers. After searching the net…I found its’apparently it’s a conflict between Steam and Comodo. No big deal. I still run Comodo after the game. Zone Alarm has a tendency to shut the net off entirely when Microsoft puts out an update. I got tired of that.

I still want you to open Explorer and see if that Terragen program is installed because it got mentioned in the logs. The logs suggest it is in c:\Program Files (x86)\Terragen.

When you find the program I would suggest to add the 3 dll files mentioned to the rundll32.exe rule and allow them to be started by rundll32.exe.

The way to go is: go to Defense + —> Advanced → Computer Security Policy → look up and select rundll32.exe → Edit → access rights → push the modify button behind Run an executable → in the Allowed Applications tab add the dll’s (msvcp60.dll, libexpat.dll and terragan.dll) → then make sure they are not in the Blocked Applications tab–> when done Apply and Ok your way back to the main screen.

If this solves it is for the following reason. The alerts were made while in full screen and therefor not visible and that blocked the computer.

I play TF2 regularly and I have no terragen on my system. If TF2 had been running okay with CIS and suddenly doesn’t, I have no idea why. You could always do what everyone who plays the steam games with CIS installed does. Put the firewall and D+ in training mode, start up steam,then start TF2 and connect to a server and play the game for a few minutes. Then exit the game and put CIS back to your preferred settings.

It’s still a mystery to me. I finally tried to do a system restore from the 14th…when all this started and still no go. There was a MS critical update on the 14th. I tried un-installing Comodo and reinstalling…but get the same. I tried run as Admin on the Steam games and tried compatibility with Vista, WinXP and so on but still a blank screen.

Working Again
Thanks Dch48. I turned network defense to training mode instead turning off the whole Comodo kaboodle and TF2 came up and I could play.

Thanks guys for answering and offering help. That’s rare on forums these days. ;D

Glad it worked but, you don’t need to be in training mode every time you want to play. You should only have to do that once. The game should work perfectly after that with your settings in your preferred way.

I might have had the same problem as dallas59 but with Lineage II - having put anything neccessary into exclusions I still got the system reload when trying to start the game (at the step of some kind of game server protection precheck, I presume). I didn’t even think about trying the Training mode, uninstalled the CIS and installed the ESS instead and got everything working. Another, and somewhat more important reason for me to refuse from CIS was that it slowed or even half-block the internal torrent traffic of my provider in Win 7 x64. Should the “training mode” trick work all right in this case?
However I am going to fully reinstall both Win XP and Win7 one of these days and than I’ll see …

When playing a game using Training Mode for a short and limited period of time is a good method if you know your system is free of malware.

However if you used the Stealth Ports Wizard to completely stealth CIS you will have to open ports for incoming traffic in Global Rules. Both when using p2p clients and games.

That being said. Can you guys tell me what game protection is being used in TF2 and Lineage II?

I just installed comodo and restarted my computer several times. When I ran team fortress 2 the first time (with comodo I mean) it asked for it to give permissions like 4 times i gave it permissions to steam hl2 gameoverlay several times and asked it to remember it, i also restarted my computer. the game team fortress 2 will not load a server list, i tried other source based games and they work I tried other games and they work perfectly. Please help, I play the game on a regular basis and it seems that the use of comodo is actually causing problems instead of helping but i would like to give it as the software looks promising for alot of purposes.

It sounds like the problem is with the Firewall and not with the Defense + part. Is that a correct?

I am not experienced with online gaming. A question first. Is it necessary to have an open port for incoming traffic to the game server(s) you connect with?

Can you show me a screenshot of the Firewall logs? They can be found under Firewall -->Common Tasks → View Firewall Events.