Comodo notification sound makes my PC freeze and crash [I52]

A. THE BUG/ISSUE (Varies from issue to issue)

• Summary - Give a clear summary in the topic subject, NOT here.
    Comodo Internet Security Notification sound crashes (freeze) my laptop
  • Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
    The problem can be reproduced each time.
  • If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
    a:Install Comodo
    b:Power on the PC
    c:Wait for a notification to be raised by comodo on the bottom right of the screen
  • If not obvious, what U expected to happen:
  • If a software compatibility problem have U tried the conflict FAQ?:
  • Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
    Comodo 6.3.302093.2976
  • Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
    Crash because of playing sound. Disabling the Creative Soundblaster Audigy HD solves this problem.

“Realtek High Definition Audio” driver, version 6.0.1.5983
“Creative Soundblaster Audigy HD” driver / software , stock version by ASUS for the G60JX
B. YOUR SETUP (Likely the same for each issue, so you can copy forward)

• Exact CIS version & configuration:
  • Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
    Firewall
  • Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
  • Have U updated (without uninstall) from a CIS 5?:
    No
    [list type=lower-alpha][li]if so, have U tried a a clean reinstall - if not please do?:
    Yes
    [/li]- Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
    No
    [li]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do:
    [/li]- OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
  • Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS: a= b=
    [/list]

C. ATTACH REQUIRED FILES

• Always attach - Diagnostics file[nobbc], Watch Activity process list, dump if freeze/crash. (If complex - CIS logs & config, screenshots, video, zipped program - not m’ware)
  • After you have attached the required files to your post please delete this section (section c) from your report.

There is no log because the freeze is so dramatic that the PC doesn’t log any crash information

Thank you for your report. I have a few questions, and there are some other things which need to be added so the devs have enough information to identify and fix the problem.

My first thought is that it’s possible that this is caused by an installation problem. Therefore, to rule that out, and possibly get this up and running for you, please try reinstalling CIS by following the advice I give in this post. Let me know if that is able to solve the problem.

Also, when you say that “a notification is raised by Comodo at the bottom right of the screen”, what do you mean by notification. Is this a Firewall popup?

Also, what do you mean by saying that this may be a “Crash because of playing sound”?

Also, have you made any changes to the configuration for CIS, or are the settings still at default? If not what changes have you made?
Are the Defense+ and Antivirus components turned off? Do you mean to say the only component active is the Firewall component?

Also, please edit your report for B6 and B7 to add the information about your OS and the other anti-malware programs currently installed on your computer, and those which used to be installed but are now removed.

In addition, as noted in section C, please attach the Diagnostics report and the KillSwitch Process List. If you have any questions about how to do that please feel free to ask. I am absolutely willing to help.

Thank you.

Was reinstalling able to solve this issue? If not please update your first post. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

PM reminder sent.

reinstalling doesn’t solve the issue.
playing sound from the firewall notification is the problem on my pc.
I can solve the issue by uninstalling Creative Soundblaster Audigy HD. (But this is a stock application provided with my pc asus g60jx).
After I’ve uninstalled that I can finally hear a sound when there is a firewall notification And the pc doesn’t crash.

Maybe it comodo v5 didn’t crash because playing a sound option is disabled by default.

Go to advanced settings, general settings, and then user interface. Uncheck the box which says “Play sound when an alert is shown.” If the sound is causing the problem this should fix it. Good luck!

eden982, thank you for replying with additional information. Now I have a much better understanding of the problem, and I am nearly certain that this is a bug. There seems to be an incompatibility between the sound driver and CIS.

However, in order to be able to nail this down enough to forward it to the devs there are a few more things which I need. One of these is that I need to know which Operating System you are using and whether it is 32 or 64 bit.

Also, are there any other anti-malware programs still on your computer? If not, which used to be installed but are now removed?

In addition, as noted in section C, please attach the Diagnostics report and the KillSwitch Process List. If you have any questions about how to do that please feel free to ask. I am absolutely willing to help.

Thank you.

eden982, please add and attach the information I have requested. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

PM reminder sent.

For the time being I will move this to the Non-Format Verified board.

Topics in this board are rarely looked at by the devs, and even if they are it is unlikely the devs can fix the bugs reported. The reason is providing all of the requested information, along with the required files, ensures that the devs have enough information to understand and identify the bug. Thus, without this it becomes very difficult to replicate a bug such as yours.

Once you are able to supply the requested information I can move this back to the main bug reporting board for processing.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (7.0.313494.4115)? Please respond to this topic letting us know whether it is fixed or if you are still experiencing the problem.

Also, note that all bug reports in the Non-Format section of the forum, which is where this report currently is, are mainly not looked at by the devs. Thus, if the bug you were experiencing is still not fixed please edit your first post so that it is in the correct format (found here, with all required attachments), so I can forward this to the devs and get this problem fixed.

Thank you.

PM sent.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (8.0.0.4337)? Please respond to this topic letting us know whether it is fixed or if you are still experiencing the problem.

Also, note that all bug reports in the Non-Format section of the forum, which is where this report currently is, are mainly not looked at by the devs. Thus, if the bug you were experiencing is still not fixed please edit your first post so that it is in the correct format (found here, with all required attachments), so I can forward this to the devs and get this problem fixed.

Thank you.