Comodo needs to close (windows error) at end of update

I had a running Comodo V7 (I think) install on a old Window XP system until I booted and it ran the virus updates after being dormant for several months (everything still OK here). Then it asked to install an update about 30 minutes later, I assume a version update. But it seems to have failed as Windows displayed an Error “Comodo needs to close…” on top of the installer restart window. I tried to reboot but the system was frozen and it failed to shut down properly…hard reset. Now it fails to load Comodo, and I get the same “Comodo needs to close…” error. Also get it if I try to start Comodo from a Desktop Icon.

I tried to uninstall, but I get “fatal error during installation” using Add/Remove or Revo Uninstaller.
I tried running MS’s DebugView, but nothing seems to happen; all I get are empty .file files.
What can I do to clean this up or start over?

Please Advise,
Thanks Much,
Chris

Well, evidently Comodo is still kind of running…just got the error, twice, when I submitted this post.

Hi ccrider2,
I suspect you are running an older CPU which may not have SSE2 support, this could be the reason the program update fails as it is a requirement since version 8.2 AFAIK.
CIS 8.2.0.4508+ doesn’t start on CPU without SSE2 support
What version of COMODO can be installed on Windows XP SP3 - 32 bit ???

I would uninstall the existing version if possible, then cleanly install version 8.1 and disable the automatic program updates.
This can be downloaded from the external link below.
Comodo Internet Security 8.1.0.4426-FileHippo

Kind regards.

Yes it’s an antique :wink: …INTEL X86_FAMILY_6_MODEL_8_0 - PIII - 1GZ

Uninstall of the existing version isn’t possible, as I get “fatal error during installation”.
I assume … just install it in the same folder containing the malfunctioning install?

Thanks Much,
Chris

Hi ccrider2,
It might be worth considering the advice kindly posted by Moderator Chiron if you are having persistent uninstall issues.
Most Effective Way to Reinstall/Update CIS to Avoid/Fix Problems

BTW: I have created a wish direct to Comodo/Tracker, suggesting that the installation process should check for system compatibility before continuing to install or update in the hope to eliminate issues like this in the future.

Kind regards.