Comodo Internet Security v10.0.1.6209-Hotfix Released

Possibly the best feature. Someone told me once that he chose Comodo for its community. :-TU

Well, as with the last update, on the restart at the end of the updating process, Comodo clearly is started in a different way to normal that Startup Delayer doesn’t catch, so I got the two problems of (1) desktop forced into basic, non-Aero theme with Desktop Theme Manager unavailable (problem with all versions of CIS 10), and (2) Comodo Agent unable to start and having to start it manually (problem with all versions of CIS 8 and 10).

On further ‘normal’ startups, with Startup Delayer delaying cistray.exe start until after dwm.exe has finished loading, both problems disappear again.

i really wish you would fix these problems.

I note that the second problem - Comodo failing to start message - is mentioned as being about to be fixed earlier in this thread (about time - search in this forum and you will see that some users have been experiencing this for years), but you don’t mention the login time autostart timing conflicts that cause it, or the workarounds (leaving the computer at the login screen for several minutes, or using software like Startup Delayer to delay cistray.exe start until after another login autostart process has finished loading so they don’t conflict and fail. This makes me concerned that you are just going to bodge a fix purely for the Comodo failed to start error rather than comprehensively sorting out the issue of possible conflicts between Comodo’s processes and other - especially Windows - processes starting. Do NOT focus JUST on the Comodo startup error - consider the other possible conflicts that may cause parts of WINDOWS processes to fail, not just Comodo’s. With Comodo’s undelayed start causing not only Comodo not to launch but killing Aero themes and the Desktop Theme Manager for me - and I’m not the only one who has experienced this, as I have seen from searches in the forum - it is the latter that is more important than the former. Comodo does start if done manually after the failure message, but the killed Aero themes and desktop theme manager remain killed until either Comodo is uninstalled or something like Startup Delayer is used to take control of Comodo’s startup. And Comodo should NOT require the finding, installing, configuring and use of 3rd party software to be usable.

In short, you have a general problem of the Comodo startup not being sufficiently robust, with the potential for various conflicts between Comodo and at-logon-autostart systemm processes possibly affecting Comodo but also possibly affecting processes of the OS or other software. You need a comprehensive solution, not just one specific only to the ‘Comodo Agent could not start’ problem. A well documented delayed start option in the Comodo configuration settings is one possible solution employed by many other programs (which I’d never had to use with them, but it was having seen it there that cued me to fiinding Sartup Delayer to solve my Comodo problems.)

Hi David,
Thank you for detailed thoughts.

Comodo does start if done manually after the failure message, but the killed Aero themes and desktop theme manager remain killed until either Comodo is uninstalled or something like Startup Delayer is used to take control of Comodo's startup.
Noted.

Thanks
-umesh

Thanks for the quick turn around update and even more thanks for communicating with the users. A simple acknowledgment and assurance that problems are being worked on is a small thing, but it goes a long way.

Couldn’t have said it better myself 8)

Comodo Firewall just installed a major update today.

• The update stalled and I had to reboot before it completed installation
  • Don’t like the new look - why “fix” something that wasn’t broken?
  • The update made me redefine all my trusted apps and started blocking tons of things, which was annoying. I spent a lot of time redoing them
  • New update reported tons of network instrusions, which doesn’t fill me with confidence
  • New version says which network IP I am on but just calls it “Home 1”, or “Home 2” etc., so I don’t know for sure what network I’m on. Why not just call it by its wifi network name? This feature is more for experts and makes us home users feel less secure
  • The update constantly puts the Comodo icon on my desktop no matter how many times I remove it.

Well, that was my feedback. Overall, not impressed.

Hi ed1975,

- The update stalled and I had to reboot before it completed installation

That could be the problem for following problems that can manifest with broken trusted vendor list, which we fixed in update you received:

- The update made me redefine all my trusted apps and started blocking tons of things, which was annoying. I spent a lot of time redoing them - New update reported tons of network instrusions, which doesn't fill me with confidence

I suggest you re-install as you have incomplete update due to interupption.

- The update constantly puts the Comodo icon on my desktop no matter how many times I remove it.
It's a known issue, update is coming by next week to fix this.
- New version says which network IP I am on but just calls it "Home 1", or "Home 2" etc., so I don't know for sure what network I'm on. Why not just call it by its wifi network name? This feature is more for experts and makes us home users feel less secure
Good idea.

Thank you for feedback.
-umesh

I received CIS program update yesterday and it updated old ver8 to ver10. I say updated, but it has just messed up everything.
First there was an almost the black screen on the Comodo interface, so I understood that newer version could be incompatible with old, so uninstalled and downloaded the new installer. But this new installer seems to be only 5MB in size and it’s online installer, I wanted offline-full client installer because I always install firewall/antivirus with disabled internet connection. Where did full installer go? why only online?! make both installers please and so that people could easily find it on the Comodo website.
Second and my main problem was that I can’t import my backups (again!). After choosing import in the configuration, it does nothing. As I understand it must be incompatible again with newer version, and what I should do now-make and write all my rules which I created before from scratch?! do you know how much time it takes!? This happened before when we updated from ver7 to ver8 (if you remember) and now this happens again, I don’t know how to call this, mistake or carelessness, because I can’t understand why backups must be incompatible again and again.
The next one I didn’t like are these new themes, don’t like their look-intensive white background which gives chaotic (for me) look. I liked Flat Tile Theme, it’s gone now.
The name “Sandbox” changed with “Containment”. Isn’t sandbox more commonly understandable term for its meaning!?
I downgraded to ver8 and will use that.

First: Three computers, all three with different configuration (but modern-fast) and application set but all with Windows XP. And the same issue - tray app return error. Solved with Glarysoft quick-startup delay feature (30 secs). Comodo tray-app should just check the service state and just wait for couple of seconds. Or maybe simple delay feature upon startup would just do the job.

Second: Lycia theme having artefacts on the main screen manage-protection “text”. Looks awfull. Like being improperly scaled.

Third: Today having errors on the update feature. After all those years - for the first time unable to update signatures! Good change :]

Regards

Hello white31. I have merged your topic with the release topic.

You can download the off line installer from Comodo Internet Security v10.0.1.6209 Released. In that topic you will also find a discussion about the off line installer that should be there for all flavors: CAV, CFW and CIS in my book.

I succumbed to temptation this afternoon and decided to go for the Creator ‘upgrade’. Big mistake!
I was well prepared for it with Restore points and the CD all pre-loaded, but after the series of reboots, I ran into the text missing error, although this cleared after the next reboot
What a bundle of junk, this Creator build is! It installs everything I’d spent many hours taking out; resets and renames everything and tries to force Defender and Firewall settings on the unfortunate user(s)
Then there was the COM surrogate error to add insult to injury!
I played with it, examined it tried a few of its supposedly new and improved features, then got hit with the text problem again after the next reboot. Strangely enough, the missing text extended into Safe Mode while trying to run the removal bat file
I had a stiff drink and decided I’d had enough of Creator changes, so rolled it back and re-installed CIS 10
Peace and happiness rules again, although for some reason, ISE hasn’t been installed?
I imported my last config, but relating to that; is there any way to quickly slim down the Trusted Vendor entries, other that wearing out my clicking finger?

Hi Shirka2010,
No known issue here with update servers:

Third: Today having errors on the update feature. After all those years - for the first time unable to update signatures! Good change :]

May you please share error snapshot?

Thanks
-umesh

Hi Ploget,
Can you please clarify if you had latest CIS version fully updated before upgrade?

Thanks
-umesh

Hi Umesh - Yes I did, but I’m not too worried about the hassle with Creator. It’s gone now and CIS back

The vanishing text bug came and went at will it would seem and when it was working correctly, everything appeared fine (other than the wandering icon). I have no clue why it happened, although I was getting the COM Surrogate error all the time

I’m more interested in getting ISE back? I can’t find an installer that includes it - web or offline

Hi Ploget,
I am interested to know if you observed any problem with latest up to date CIS and Creators Update.
There should not be any text issues.
I am concerned about following if any were due to CIS:

I ran into the text missing error, although this cleared after the next reboot
then got hit with the text problem again after the next reboot. Strangely enough, the missing text extended into Safe Mode while trying to run the removal bat file

May you please elaborate about those?

I'm more interested in getting ISE back? I can't find an installer that includes it - web or offline
ISE come by default right now so in case you uninstalled, you may not get it again. In next releases we might be making it more like a selectable component.

Thanks
-umesh

I used the web based CFW installer and it installed ISE without permission, so if you want ISE, then use the web installer, there is no options to enable or disable in the installer, or even any mention of it, it’ll just be in your Program Files (x86) folder already installed.

Hi Umesh – sorry I was trying a few more tests, tweaks and stuff!

The steps were:

I had installed CIS 6209 a couple of days after it came out, with a clean install having uninstalled 8.4.
I installed the Creator upgrade from CD this morning

On the last reboot, everything appeared to be fine, apart from the absolute mess that Creator had made. Several start menu items had vanished and every time I clicked on Start, the error COM surrogate isn’t working appeared – that relates to the dllhost.exe for 64 bit OS

I tried a fix for that which involves putting that file as an exception in DEP settings. Of course that meant another reboot, which is when the text mess error appeared. Another reboot made no difference, so I then uninstalled CIS, ran a Registry Cleaner and rebooted into Safe Mode to run the batch file for uninstall - the text error also showed in Safe Mode and made things rather difficult

I tried several times, but having looked at the mess that Creator made and the work it would involve getting my settings back to where they were on this system and the others (if I tried it), I decided to rollback the upgrade

Having done that I re-installed CIS 6209, but I can’t get ISE to re-install and I miss that little bit doing its thing behind the scenes!

I don’t think I’ll be trying the mess that Creator created anytime again soon!!

I’ve tried every installer out there, but it seems once uninstalled and cleared, it just won’t come back

Hi Ploget,
From your description it seems you must be running an out-dated version.
In case you are brave enough to try again, may you please provide me versions of following as well:

• Comodo Secure Shopping (CSS)
  • Comodo Internet Security Essentials (ISE)
  • Comodo Cloud Antivirus (if you have)

You may have to look at CSS/ISE installation folders to find respective versions.

Thanks
-umesh

How accurate is av-test.org at rating antivirus software? The usability has the best score possible. The performance is the worst out of previous version. It could be some wrong info / misleading. Like 237% high end pc / industry average of 33% for Slower copying of files (locally and in a network) 7,632 files copied. Version 8.4 is 2% for high end pc with 20% industry average Slower copying of files (locally and in a network). The ratings for the performance definitely wrong as it would be a big decrease. I thought I would post this so someone from comodo could check this out and maybe have av-test check to see if the info is correct and to correct what needed. Posted is the info I think is wrong for proof.