COMODO Internet Security 3.5.61373.458 BETA Q&A's, Feedback [CLOSED]

Maybe this is a build just to test the memory firewall and the heuristics? ???

Can anyone from COMODO staff explain how the heuristics module works?
Very very technically how it works? Is it Sig based?? How the level of heuristics works??
Very technically pls???

THX!!

Nothing is weird at all. The Database is only a TEST one in this beta…

I am running DB 301 in XP and its normal, This is not the current released DB version. Reinstall the beta on XP (Clean install). This is only a beta guys… Allow developers to tweak and fix things! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Josh

So CIS won’t detect any malware?

No. The Rates are just different.

The whole idea of a beta is to “test” products, Not generally use them. In this case, it’s both a test DB and a beta program. :wink:

Cheers,
Josh

They have to test the new signature format too.

:wink:

I know. It explains a lot

Hi Guys.

I updated the first post of this thread (My post) mainly for the benefits of people who don’t want to try CIS beta yet but also current CIS Beta testers. :slight_smile:

Please check the first post for FAQ + Quick Info & Screen Shots.

Cheers,
Josh

I don’t know if this was already posted, but…

If I install this beta, when the final version will be released, I will get it through auto-update module?

Is Threatcast supposed to be working? Because it doesn’t have ratings for explorer.exe and other popular files. :THNK

I’m pretty sure you have to reinstall, but even if there is an option, it is HIGHLY recommenced to reinstall to the final because it will sometimes cause problems in the future with your updated final build (e.g. in CIS, it happened to numerous people who updated from the RC’s).

:slight_smile:

The same here.
I was thinking about the same question. I want to believe that ratings are being built NOW… :-\

I’m still a bit shy of threatcast… It needs some sort of AUTH system, Username\password\email\serial#

threatcast always says no info available at the moment?wasnt tc out awhile back in beta for them to gather files for ratings?

we are rebuilding the data… it will build up very quickly…

Melih

good to know thanks melih

I’m currently running the beta and my AV database is at: 934 Is this possible? I thought this was a test db.

Ice

Did you download and install the beta from the link in the forums (3.5.61373.458 BETA) or the current version from the COMODO website? (current: 3.5.57173.439)

“Beta” is a release cycle term invented by IBM long ago (possibly before you were even born ;)) with a formal meaning of feature complete and frozen and passed by QA, presumably ready for production, and released for external testing to catch things not found internally. So while it is a “test” version, it should nonetheless be fully usable in a production environment, just not up to full release level quality.

The more “test” version is “alpha”, not feature complete or frozen, normally released on a much more limited basis than beta for things like basic usability testing. The term “pre-alpha” is used for experimental development versions.

Over the years, unfortunately, companies have increasingly abused the term “beta” in their unseemly rush to get immature products to market, using it where the correct term would actually be “alpha” because it sounds better to customers, shareholders, and employees. Then they’ve had to invent new terms to take over what beta used to mean, like “release candidate”. Google is a notable exception to this trend, more properly using the term “beta” to refer to completed products that are suitable for external production use.

What COMODO has just released appears to more properly be an “alpha” than a “beta”, and thus you are correct about not using it in a production environment. And now that I’ve run a 24 hour test of the “beta”, I’ve reverted to the last regular release of CIS.

John

I installed it from the link in the fourms. It’s the beta product allright but it seems like its using the real AV database since I have the non beta version running on another machine with the same av database.

Ice