Comodo HIPS Question.

I’m curious as to what the action “ask” means next to run executable. I’m assuming it means that Comodo will give me a prompt asking me if I want to run the executable anytime I try to open it. The problem is, is that it doesn’t pop up with anything. Is this normal?

Thank you for your time.

It means what that application you have the rule for is allowed to do, in this case it will ask you if that application wants to execute another executable. But what mode HIPS is set to and the rating of the application of the HIPS rule affects whether you will get an alert or not. This applies to all the other access rights of the HIPS rule.

Example, you have an application rule for the application someapp.exe to ask for run an executable, you have HIPS in safe mode, and someapp.exe has a trusted rating in the file list. Then someapp.exe executes another trusted rated application, no alert and action is allowed, but someapp.exe tries to execute an unrecognized application, you will get an alert requesting execution to either allow or block.

Thanks for your response. I understand now :slight_smile:

One more question though. Right now I have most of my programs set to allowed application in HIPS. Should I keep it that way or should I change it to a different ruleset? Which one is the safest?

ask option