Comodo FW and locked up computer

After installing Comodo Firewall V.3, I was unable to open it by clicking on its desktop icon. When I did this message appeared:

“C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.Exe
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item”

Also I am still on dial up and when I tried clicking on the desktop icon to access the internet. There was no response.

However, I was able to access the Firewall by clicking on the Comodo icon at the bottom right hand corner of my computer screen. After I did this I purged a number of Symantec antivirus files, as I no longer use Symantec AV.

After doing this I was unable to access the Firewall by clicking on the Comodo icon at the bottom right hand corner of my computer screen as the icon did not appear. I was also unable to open any programs or word documents on my PC. If I clicked on a file the same message appears:

“Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item”

I can only open folders. Even if I try to switch my PC off the normal way the same message as above appears.

I cannot uninstall Comodo as again the same message as above appears.
It seems I am pretty much locked out of everything

All of the above happens in whatever account I use inc Admin.

Whether being unable to open any program etc is a result of my purging the Symantec AV files I am not clear because I did not try open any programs, other than the firewall and internet access icon which would not open, before purging the Symantec AV files.

Thanks.

Did you run the total uninstaller from the Symantec site? Try turning off UAC- assuming you are running Vista. It is a main source of this type of error message.

I used the Windows unninstaller then finished off with the JV16 pool Tool.

I am running XP Pro.

However, I have sorted the problem out by booting my PC in safe mode and then restoring from there

I uninstalled using the Windows uninstaller and then finished off with the JV16 Power Tool.

I have sorted the problem out by booting up in safe mode then restoring from there.