Comodo Firewall won't start post BSOD - what to do?

Hi,

I recently had a few BSODs on my HP laptop with Windows 7 x64. Not sure if a Windows problem or a hard drive that’s starting to go bad… Probably a bit of both. I recovered all the data, but I need to keep using the laptop for at least a few more weeks.

Problem is, now Comodo won’t start! It says “Comodo Security Agent could not be started. Would you like to run the diagnostics tool to fix this error?” and then “Diagnostics have found some errors and could not fix them automatically”.

I’d like to know what to do :

• is there a fix to make Comodo start?
  • should I install a newer Comodo on top of the old one? (I can’t tell you which version I have; just that I hadn’t updated in a few months as most updates seemed to have to do with Windows 10, so I skipped them)
  • should I uninstall my current Comodo first, then install a newer one? (and if I do that, can I import an old cfgx file into it? Provided I can find one somewhere on my hard drive…)

Thanks!

You should uninstall then install the new version. You can export your current config and then import after installing the new version. Personal Configurations | Comodo Internet Security | Internet Security

Thanks Futuretech!

How do I export the settings since Comodo won’t start? I tried double-clicking C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cis.exe, but it produces the same error message. Is there another exe I should try?

I see 3 cfgx files in that folder though, all three last modified on July 14th, 2016. Can I use those? Or just the “COMODO - Firewall Security.cfgx” one?

I’m assuming I’m uninstalling from the configuration panel’s Add/Remove programs feature?

And what am I reinstalling exactly? I had three sub-menus in my systray menu: firewall, HIPS and sandbox (although I never used that last one). Is it Best Internet Security Software 2022 | Antivirus Total Security or Free Firewall | Best Comodo Firewall Software Download 2022 I need? And if it’s the first one, can I opt out of the antivirus, etc. ?

Thank you… :slight_smile:

If the cis tray is not running in the notifications area try to terminate the cis.exe process using task manager and start comodo using the desktop shortcut (if you have it) or the start menu item. Then see this guide to export your config.

The configs located in the install directory are the default configs so they won’t contain the changes you made. Yes uninstall from programs and features. Download the cfw installer from the release topic here which does not contain the av.

Clicking the Startup menu item launches cistray.exe and cmdagent.exe, then the cmdagent.exe process stops after a second, and then after five full minutes, I get the “Comodo Security Agent could not be started. Would you like to run the diagnostics tool to fix this error?” message box, and clicking yes launches cis.exe. Then after I close the diagnostics windows, cis.exe stops. So I don’t think I’m gonna get the program to open so I can export my settings…

I found a copy of COMODO - Firewall Security.cfgx, COMODO - Internet Security.cfgx and COMODO - Proactive Security.cfgx on my hard drive that I had exported back in March 2015. Would that be okay to import?

It should be fine but it sounds like something is seriously wrong with your CIS install so I would recommend using the removal tools from this guide after you do the initial uninstall from programs & features. Make sure you reboot after running those tools.

Hi futuretech,

I am happy to report that I followed the full procedure in that link, and it worked. :smiley:

Is it normal that it seems so permissive by default though? I didn’t even have to create rules to allow Winamp, Screamer and VLC to access the Internet… (I chose not to import my 2015 settings for now, as several topics mentioned it could lead to problems…)

Also, it installed GeekBuddy and “Dragon”… Can I uninstall that - should I? -, and how best to do it?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

By default applications that are trusted by Comodo will not generate alerts and will be allowed to do what they want e.g. connect to the internet or modify protected files and other system activity. Also depending on which configuration you are using, the firewall is set to do not show alerts allow requests, which means even unknown rated applications will be automatically allowed outgoing network access. This setting is set by default in the internet security configuration.

You can uninstall GeekBuddy and if you do not wish it use a different browser than the one you’re used to using then you can also uninstall dragon. They can be removed using programs and features from the control panel.

Ok. My own rules were a lot more restrictive than that, but I don’t have time to go through the full manual again right now! :o I opted for the Proactive Security, so I guess that’s a bit better… I’ll reassess in a few weeks if the laptop still works then…

Thanks for all your help! :azn: :-TU

No problem if you want to be asked to allow network access for trusted applications set the firewall to custom ruleset and change the alert frequency level to medium or high for more precise control.

Where? I can’t find it, sorry…

General Firewall Settings, PC Firewall, Firewall Protection | Internet Security Or you can open the main UI and switch to advanced view and next to the firewall you can click on the blue link of safe mode to open a menu to switch between modes.

Got it! Thanks a lot. <3