COMODO Firewall V3.8.64739.471 Producing False Update Requests

I am running the 32 bit COMODO Firewall v3.8.64739.471 and I continue to get messages stating that updates are available. There are no updates available (at this time). The problem started when I installed the previous beta and continues with the upgrade to v3.8.64739.471. It happens only once per boot cycle. Everything else works great and I have no other issues. This issue is small but annoying. Please let me know if their is something I can do to correct it. Thanks for your help.

My system consists of:

1. Intel Pentium 4 (3.2 GHz)
  2. 1.5 GB RAM
  3. Radeon X1950A Pro Graphics Card
  4. MSI PT880 Neo Motherboard
  5. Vista Ultra plus SP2

This update popup that ends up with no update is more troublesome than it was before.
Today, when it told me there was an update and I accepted it, it ended up in the Updater routine going nowhere (left the house for one hour) and still was "copying cmdhlp.sys file.
Updater was not responsing, to my surpise, not even when I tried to end it using Start Task Manager. It would not end the program regardless how many times I tried.
After many attempts, I had to Restart the computer.
That is a bug that if it continues I will have to uninstall and try another firewall.

I would also like to say that this has been happening to me as well. Its a small issue but an issue nonetheless. It is very annoying, please look in to it. This has been the first time that Comodo Fire wall has given me an issue.

I have the same problem!

For Vista users, please clean out the VirtualStore, vista uses a shadow copy system for writes to \program files and \windows on “normal users” account.

You can find it here:

c:\users<userid>\appdata\local\virtualstore

Clean all “COMODO” firewall/internet security you find there and reboot, that should fix it.

Thanks Ronny

I’ll give it a try and let you know how things go.

[b]I’ve been having the same problem, Comodo keeps telling me there are updates available when there are not. I did exactly as Ronny suggested, but the problem persists! Every time I reboot, Comodo pops up a dialogue box offering me the updates. This has been going on for the last week or so, ever since the last program update appeared the first time. Can anyone tell me how to stop it? I guess it’s not a MAJOR problem, but it is beginning to be irritating! Thanks in advance!

(BTW, I’m running Vista Home Premium, and Comodo Firewall Pro version 3.8.64739.471)

[/b]

Looks like there is still something left in the virtualstore, can you also check to see if there is something in the virtualstore\windows\ folder ?

like inspect / cmdguard named files possibly on the \drivers folder ?

I am using Vista. I removed the folder virtualstore completely and still get the false message for updates.
If somebody removed the virtualstore and the problem is gone for several days, maybe that is the fix but so far it did nothing for me. :-TD

Did you reboot after it ?
We can compare file SHA hashes to find the one causing it if you are willing to test ?

Yes I rebooted immediately after the removal.

I would be a little more careful next time, i would only remove sub folders from the “program files” folder in there.

Can you check the folder for the administrator account also ?

Hi Ronny

I used your fix and it is working. One of the files could not be removed until COMODO was shut down. I appreciate your help.

Best Wishes

[b]I checked all of that. The only references to Comodo left in the VirtualStore subfolders are 2 skins files and a cfpinfo.ini file, none of which have been modified since November 08.

I just did a manual check for updates, and Comodo said that there are updates available, do I want to get them? I said yes, and it said “preparing to install updates.” After about 5 seconds, it said “There are no updates available.” I’m tempted to turn off auto-updates, but if I do, I might miss something important. Help!

Other than this weird problem, I really like the Comodo firewall. I hope somebody smarter than me can figure out how to fix this! Thanks again for the help!
[/b]

Those are exactly the files that are causing this, please close CIS gui and remove them, then reboot and the issue should be fixed.

Hi Ronny,

I have exactly the same problem with 3.8.64739.471 indicating that update notices when none are available, but I am running XP Home SP3. Any thoughts on what causes the same problem on XP?

There have been reports of a possible lock on cfp.theme. Can you close the CIS GUI and copy that file from the c:\program files\comodo\comodo internet security\repair to c:\program files\comodo\comodo internet security\

Now reboot and see if that helps, please report back if it worked or not…

Hi Ronny

Your fix really worked for me on Vista. In fact the Firewall updated perfectly to the new version. Thanks again.

:-TU Thanks

???
I’M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I DONT UNDERSTAND ABOVE POSTS? I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT “CIS GUI” IS OR STANDS FOR?? CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM TO SOMEBODY WHO’S NOT AS COMPUTER SAVVY AS ABOVE USERS. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. MY COMPUTER SAYS UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE FOR COMODO EVERY TIME I TURN IT ON BUT WHEN I CLICK ON IT NOTHING EVER HAPPENS- PLEASE HELP!