Comodo Firewall UI Becomes Unresponsive Bug R. x 2 Second Full [at] Reply 3[NBZ]

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Left machine running idle.
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: Comodo Firwall UI becomes unresponsive. Systray context menu ceases to launch upon CFW systray icon right-click and double-clicking on systray icon does not launch GUI interface.
  3. What you expected to happen or see: Expected to see either systray context menu or CFW GUI, depending upon the method I invoked the GUI.
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: I’ve uninstalled – fully – CFW by using the native uninstaller and then Revo Uninstaller; rebooted and then reinstalled CFW. Made no differerence. Thought there was a conflict with a network connection monitoring program called Networx and disabled it. Made no difference.
  5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes here?: No compatibility problem that I can determine.
  6. Details & exact version of any application (execpt CIS) involved with download link: Usied Palemoon 3.6.13 (windows-optimized version of Firefox) and Download Statusbar 4.8.2 (Firefox extension) to download file. No download errors and CFW appeared to download with no errors.
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: Recurs. I don’t need to do anything but boot the machine.
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): None. Have no idea what could be causing it. I use ProcessLasso to monitor my machine’s processes and both cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe continue to run and use system resources (minimal). The systray displays incoming and outgoing communications (with inverted and non-inverted chevrons, respectively). Am running the same Comodo product on a laptop running Vista (all current updates applied) and do not see this UI behavior. Also, when CFW generated multiple notifications about various programs trying to access the Internet (upon reboot after fresh install), CFW froze – two separate times. Had to reboot twice. Noticed that CFW would not remove even safe files from its sandbox.

Files appended. (Please zip unless screenshots).

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: N/A. No screen displays.
  2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs and the Defense+ Active Processes List: Cannot access without rebooting. Rebooted and still cannot access CFW UI even after reboot. However, posted a log file from ProcessLasso containing list of running processes.
  3. A CIS config report or file: Cannot access CFW UI even upon reboot.
  4. Crash or freeze dump file: N/A. CFW appears not to crash or freeze. Issue seems to be only with GUI responsiveness.

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: CFW 5.3.1.176757.1236 Not running Comodo AV. Running Avira Antivir Personal (Free) v10.0.0.611
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4: No. Did not upgrade without uninstall from 4 to 5, either.
    b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?: Yes, even deleted existing settings. Made no difference in observied behavior. After reboot, CFW systray context menus now are not accessible and CFW GUI is not accessible. Sometimes they are after a reboot; sometimes they aren’t. It takes my machine about 5 minutes to reboot so troubleshooting could take hours.
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
    b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?: N/A
  4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.): No.
  5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+= , Sandbox= , Firewall = , AV = Not using Comodo AV. Can’t access CFW UI to access this information.
  6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type: XP SP3 32-bit, administrator account
  7. Other security and utility software installed: Avira Antivir Free - Personal Edition v 10.0.0.611 (current free version), Threatfire 4.7.0.17, Snarl R2.31 (V41.51), Winroll 2.0, Launchy 2.6 beta 2, Sandboxie 3.52 (not running CFW or anything in Sandboxie), Openwide, Pop Peeper 3.7, Popfile 1.1.1, ProcessLasso 4.09.19 beta, Everything, RealTek HD Audio Manager
  8. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box): None
Update: 7 Feb 2011 [at] 12:10 AM EST
Seems to be either a driver conflict or a conflict with an app loaded at system startup.  Cannot determine which since I have no idea what loads when or in which order.

Update: 7 Feb 2011 at 2:00 AM EST
Determined the issue!! :slight_smile: Seems to be a conflict between CFW 5.3.1.176757.1236 and Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet drivers v5.4.2-5 (Downloadable executable named PenTablet_5.2.4-5.exe, approximate size 22.24 MB). Disabled Wacom drivers, rebooted PC, and can now access CFW systray context menus and can launch the GUI by double-clicking on the systray icon.

[i][b]Update: 9 Feb 2011 at 3:43 AM EST[/b][/i]
Turns out I didn't determine the issue.  With all Wacom Bamboo drivers uninstalled, the CFW systray icon UI still becomes unresponsive.  I have no idea of the cause.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Could you please try to supply the missing information and add it to your first post.

Please try to access the Gui in Safe Mode (F8)

1. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+= , Sandbox= , Firewall = , AV = Not using Comodo AV. Can’t access CFW UI to access this information.

Thank you

Dennis

CIS 5.3.176757.1236
WinXP SP3

I am having similar problems. I seldom have problems with versions without the Sandbox feature. I believe the problem may be due to comodo unable/forgot to popup question asking whether to allow application to run/etc…and kept waiting for answer…but since the popup was never shown the user is unable to respond.

Why?
Sometimes this happens very early after the boot process is completed. Double clicking on any application will cause PC to lockup and requires a Ctrl+alt+del. Rebooting PC again and running same app will run ok. Sometimes CF will ask to allow app to run, etc. sometimes not.

Alternative test:
Immediately after booting, disable CF (comodo firewall) and you can run any app without PC hanging. You will find that CF will usually hang on certain apps quite frequently, if so disable CF and then run app. But then you should not go onto the net as your firewall is disabled.

I’m having the same problem.
Hopefully I’m allowed to post my own report about the same issue here…

But anyways, let’s see if I can fill in some more information…

The bug/issue
1. What you did: Booted up computer. Or just left it running without doing anything special.
2. What actually happened or you actually saw: Comodo becomes unresponsive. Right-clicking/double-clicking on the tray icon causes no response (i.e. no right-click menu & GUI doesn’t appear).
When this happens, computer will hang during shutdown for 4-5 minutes just trying to shut down Comodo.
3. What you expected to happen or see: Everything working properly.
4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Killed cmdagent.exe (the Comodo helper service) and then restarted the service. Immediately after I kill the process, Comodo springs back to life again (i.e. if I had tried to double-click the tray icon to open the GUI and it didn’t respond, the GUI would open up immediately after cmdagent is killed, without another double-click).
Also, tried uninstalling both AVG 2011 and Comodo and reinstalling both (CIS first, then AVG), which didn’t work.
Adding Comodo’s directory to AVG’s Resident Shield’s exceptions didn’t solve the problem, either.
5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes here?: No compatibility problem I know of. Either that, or CIS is incompatible with virtually every other antivirus product out there. (read the thread linked in #8)
Disabling AVG’s Identity Protection did not completely solve the problem.
6. Details & exact version of any application (execpt CIS) involved with download link: AVG Free 2011 (full setup file from here, not the web installer)
7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: Occurs randomly. Seems to be the most serious shortly after installing Comodo, then gets slightly better as Comodo gets “used” to the computer (at least in my case).
8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): Considering that terminating cmdagent.exe unfreezes Comodo, I would guess that cmdagent is locking up Comodo. Why it could be doing that, I have no idea.
This thread has a large number of users experiencing the same problem.

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: N/A
2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs and the Defense+ Active Processes List: Appended – Nothing useful in the logs. The Defense+ Active Process List screenshots were taken after terminating cmdagent.exe and then restarting the service. (and then I had to put the computer on standby while I did something else, and then I came back and did the screenshots.)
3. A CIS config report or file. Reproducible with an untouched default configuration.
4. Crash or freeze dump file: Appended – Attached minidumps of cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe while Comodo was locked up. (I also have full dumps of those processes available (but not attached), should they ever become necessary)

Your set-up
1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: Comodo Firewall v5.3.176757.1236. Not using the Comodo AV. Configuration set to Proactive Security.
2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4: No
b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?: N/A
b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?: N/A
4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.): Using Proactive security. Firewall at custom level, defense+ at safe mode. Sandbox enabled but not set to automatically sandbox unknown programs.
5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+= Safe Mode, Sandbox= Enabled, Firewall = Custom Policy, AV = N/A
6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (x86). Using an account with administrative privileges.
7. Other security and utility software installed: AVG Free 2011 v10.0.1204, MalwareBytes’ Anti-Malware v1.50.1.1100 (no protection module), Spybot S&D v1.6.2 (TeaTimer disabled)

Thank you ec101 for a full bug report in the required format.

Moved to verified.

Thank you

Dennis

[quote author=PurpleSage link=topic=69056.msg489769#msg489769 date=1297025828]
The bug/issue

2. What actually happened or you actually saw: Comodo Firwall UI becomes unresponsive. Systray context menu ceases to launch upon CFW systray icon right-click and double-clicking on systray icon does not launch GUI interface.
  3. What you expected to happen or see: Expected to see either systray context menu or CFW GUI, depending upon the method I invoked the GUI.
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: I’ve uninstalled – fully – CFW by using the native uninstaller and then Revo Uninstaller; rebooted and then reinstalled CFW. Made no differerence. Thought there was a conflict with a network connection monitoring program called Networx and disabled it. Made no difference.
  5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes here?: No compatibility problem that I can determine.
  6. Details & exact version of any application (execpt CIS) involved with download link: Usied Palemoon 3.6.13 (windows-optimized version of Firefox) and Download Statusbar 4.8.2 (Firefox extension) to download file. No download errors and CFW appeared to download with no errors.
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: Recurs. I don’t need to do anything but boot the machine.
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): None. Have no idea what could be causing it. I use ProcessLasso to monitor my machine’s processes and both cfp.exe and cmdagent.exe continue to run and use system resources (minimal). The systray displays incoming and outgoing communications (with inverted and non-inverted chevrons, respectively). Am running the same Comodo product on a laptop running Vista (all current updates applied) and do not see this UI behavior. Also, when CFW generated multiple notifications about various programs trying to access the Internet (upon reboot after fresh install), CFW froze – two separate times. Had to reboot twice. Noticed that CFW would not remove even safe files from its sandbox.

2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs and the Defense+ Active Processes List: Cannot access without rebooting. Rebooted and still cannot access CFW UI even after reboot. However, posted a log file from ProcessLasso containing list of running processes.
  4. Crash or freeze dump file: N/A. CFW appears not to crash or freeze. Issue seems to be only with GUI responsiveness.

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: CFW 5.3.1.176757.1236 Not running Comodo AV. Running Avira Antivir Personal (Free) v10.0.0.611
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4: No. Did not upgrade without uninstall from 4 to 5, either.
    b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?: Yes, even deleted existing settings. Made no difference in observied behavior. After reboot, CFW systray context menus now are not accessible and CFW GUI is not accessible. Sometimes they are after a reboot; sometimes they aren’t. It takes my machine about 5 minutes to reboot so troubleshooting could take hours.
  4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.): No.
  5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+= , Sandbox= , Firewall = , AV = Not using Comodo AV. Can’t access CFW UI to access this information.
  6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type: XP SP3 32-bit, administrator account
  7. Other security and utility software installed: Avira Antivir Free - Personal Edition v 10.0.0.611 (current free version), Threatfire 4.7.0.17, Snarl R2.31 (V41.51), Winroll 2.0, Launchy 2.6 beta 2, Sandboxie 3.52 (not running CFW or anything in Sandboxie), Openwide, Pop Peeper 3.7, Popfile 1.1.1, ProcessLasso 4.09.19 beta, Everything, RealTek HD Audio Manager
Seems to be either a driver conflict or a conflict with an app loaded at system startup.  Cannot determine which since I have no idea what loads when or in which order.

Determined the issue!! :slight_smile: Seems to be a conflict between CFW 5.3.1.176757.1236 and Wacom Bamboo graphics tablet drivers v5.4.2-5 (Downloadable executable named PenTablet_5.2.4-5.exe, approximate size 22.24 MB). Disabled Wacom drivers, rebooted PC, and can now access CFW systray context menus and can launch the GUI by double-clicking on the systray icon.

Turns out I didn't determine the issue.  With all Wacom Bamboo drivers uninstalled, the CFW systray icon UI still becomes unresponsive.  I have no idea of the cause.

Update: 2 March 2011 at 20:10 EST
Attached two .jpg screenshots that, together, display all active processes on my machine. Updated previous version of CIS to 5.3.181415.1237. Will post more information b/c my post auto-refreshes and I lose everything I enter.

[quote author=PurpleSage link=topic=69056.msg489769#msg489769 date=1297025828]
The bug/issue

Your set-up

Update: 7 March 2011 at 2:51 AM EST

Could you please try to supply the missing information and add it to your first post.

Please try to access the Gui in Safe Mode (F8)

1. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+= , Sandbox= , Firewall = , AV = Not using Comodo AV. Can’t access CFW UI to access this information.

[i]Defense+ Security Level:[/i]
General Settings:
Safe mode, keep alert on screen 120 secs. Enable adaptive mode under low system resources and create rules for safe applications are checked. Other checkboxes are unchecked.

Execution Control Settings:
Execution control level is enabled, unrecognized files treated as partially limited. No exclusions.

Sandbox Settings:
Enabled, all checkboxes checked.

Monitoring Settings:
All checkboxes checked.

Firewall Settings:
General Settings:
Firewall Security Level = Safe Mode
Create rules for safe applications checkbox checked

Alert Settings:
Alert frequency level = High
All checkboxes checked

Advanced:
Block fragmented IP datagrams checkbox checked; all others unchecked.

• .jpg files of running processes attached to post

Appears to be a software conflct, possibly a network driver or memory address conflict. I use Clear Wireless’ combined 3G/4G Sierra Wireless adapter. When I launch (manually) Comodo after all my autoruns have completed but before I launch (again, manually) my network client, Comodo’s interface usually – although not always – will behave as I expect, i.e., not hang or appear to hang. If I launch Comodo before I launch my network client, Comodo’s interface hangs or appears to hang nearly 100%. BTW, when Comodo does hang, the default Windows theme always appears in Comodo’s titlebar and around all its borders.

[quote author=PurpleSage link=topic=69056.msg499792#msg499792 date=1299530236]

Comodo configured for proactive security.

[i]Defense+ Security Level:[/i]
General Settings:
Safe mode, keep alert on screen 120 secs. Enable adaptive mode under low system resources and create rules for safe applications are checked. Other checkboxes are unchecked.

Execution Control Settings:
Execution control level is enabled, unrecognized files treated as partially limited. No exclusions.

Sandbox Settings:
Enabled, all checkboxes checked.

Monitoring Settings:
All checkboxes checked.

Firewall Settings:
General Settings:
Firewall Security Level = Safe Mode
Create rules for safe applications checkbox checked

Alert Settings:
Alert frequency level = High
All checkboxes checked

Advanced:
Block fragmented IP datagrams checkbox checked; all others unchecked.

• .jpg files of running processes attached to post

Appears to be a software conflct, possibly a network driver or memory address conflict. I use Clear Wireless’ combined 3G/4G Sierra Wireless adapter. When I launch (manually) Comodo after all my autoruns have completed but before I launch (again, manually) my network client, Comodo’s interface usually – although not always – will behave as I expect, i.e., not hang or appear to hang. If I launch Comodo before I launch my network client, Comodo’s interface hangs or appears to hang nearly 100%. BTW, when Comodo does hang, the default Windows theme always appears in Comodo’s titlebar and around all its borders.