Comodo Firewall not loading on Windows 7 Start Up

I’m running the latest version of Comodo Firewall and am having a problem. Recently I noticed that Comodo does not start up automatically when Windows 7 loads ( the comodo icon is not displayed in the system tray). I have been a long time Comodo user and have never experienced this problem before. I’m running Windows 7 x64 under a limited account for security reasons, however as soon as I load the .exe Comodo loads fine and the icon is shown in the system tray. This happens just loading the program normally and not by right clicking and running as administrator. I would greatly appreciate some help with this, as I’m very concerned that my PC is not protected unless I remember to manually load Comodo.

The icon represents that the client program cfp.exe is running.

Can you check with task manager if cfp.exe is running or not when the icon does not show.

The client program tells the underwater part, cmdagent,exe which does the actual filter work, how to do its job. When cfp.exe is not running cmdagent.exe still does its protective work.

I’ve noticed that when I load Windows and the Comodo icon is not displayed in the system tray that if I check the running processes and services , cmdagent is running as a service however cpf.exe is not running under the processes. If I click on the Comodo shortcut the icon then loads in the system tray as normal and cpf.exe is then loaded under processes. I assume this means I am protected with cmdagent loading at start-up but don’t understand why cfp.exe isn’t loading and what impact that may have on my system. Thanks for your help.

Cfp.exe start be running upon start up.Try running Diagnostics (under the More tab in the main interface) and see if that can fix it or not.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I’ve run the diagnostic option several times and it reports no issue with the installation.

Sounds like it is time to use Autoruns to check the start up entry for cfp.exe.

Download Autoruns and run it.

This program finds about all auto starts in Windows. This tool can therefore seriously damage Windows when not handled properly. After starting push Escape and go to Options and choose to hide Windows and Microsoft entries, to include empty locations and then push F5 to refresh.

Look up cfp.exe in the Run tab of Autoruns. When it is not checked please check it.

For some reason I’'m not seeing a “Run” tab in autoruns, however under the “Everything” tab when I search for cfp.exe there is nothing found. I then searched for all references to Comodo and couldn’t find cfp.exe there as well.

I should have said Logon tab not Run tab. My bad here.

Can you try running Diagnostics once when running as admin. I want to see what happens then.

It looks like the start entry is not made when installing. Not sure why that is. Did you run the installer with admin rights?

Comodo diagnostic still reports no issue with the installation. I’m sure I would have run the installer with admin rights. Comodo had been working fine and has been installed on my PC for a long time however I’m wondering if a recent update to it somehow corrupted something since I don’t recall this problem starting too long ago. I’m wondering if it’s maybe best to try to reinstall it and see if that fixes the issue. I know it’s usually best to completely uninstall and do a clean install but I’d hate to lose my firewall and Defense+ settings.

I forgot to add, there was no reference to Comodo at all anywhere on the Logon Tab of autostarts.

Trying a clean install is a good idea.

Luckily you can export your configuration and import it back after the clean installation. You can export/import your configuration under More → Manage My Configurations.

A clean install seems to have corrected the problem and cfp.exe and its respective Icon are loading properly. Thank you Eric for all your help and the info on the configuration management was especially helpful. I was unaware that feature existed. Thanks again and thanks for a great product!

I am experiencing exactly the same issue for more than a year now, on 3 different PCs and is becoming troubling me. I guess I figured it out it happens after update. It goes silently and unnoticed unless I examine via task manager. I am pretty sure it is a bug. It does resolve by a clean install, but I can’t imagine screening every day and reinstalling. It never occurred to me, it might happen until I discovered it by pure luck and blamed my wife for clicking the wrong buttons. However, it happened to me as well at least 3 or 4 times and I am sure now it is an abnormal behavior.
Hope the Comodo team will look it up thoroughly. Any help meanwhile shall be appreciated.