COMODO FIREWALL Interfering with SKYPE?

Hello

I recently installed COMODO Firewall, finding it very good.

However, today I was on a Skype call and it kept disconnecting over and over. Messages sent through Skype were also left pending and unsent.

My friend suspected that it was most likely my COMODO Firewall that was causing this disconnection, “Dropping packets from Skype” I believe ?

If this is really true, what am I to do :frowning: ?! Uninstall COMODO and be at risk ? or stay protected and constantly be disconnected? :frowning: :frowning: Help…

How do I prevent COMODO From constantly doing this ?

SECONDLY: I have one more problem - The other day I opened up my Task Manager and looked on the PERFORMANCE Tab… it was fluctuating greatly from 90%+ to 20% and constantly up down up down

and I was barely doing anything at all! I wasn’t downloading anything either. Just plain screen. I’m rather worried it could be … HACKER? Or some BACKGROUND ACTIVITY I’m unaware of ??? :frowning:

Scary :cry: !

RIGHT NOW I’m running MalwareBytes Anti-Malware full computer scan and COMODO Firewall, and my Task Manager Performance is up to 100% continuously D: !

Please , somebody, clarify these problems and queries I have!! Thanks a bunch !!! :slight_smile:

What computer? CPU/memory/HDD/OS?
Skype is fine here, no problems whatsoever.
As for your busy CPU put a printscreen from Process Explorer.

make a rule in firewall section of comodo for skype:
allow OUTgoing only, or better:
allow tcp+udp OUTgoing only for skype.

then it will work, as you receive requested packets though, and skype will do the rest.

But Skype also needs UDP in I understand?

Here is a paste of an earlier recommendation that someone made on these boards…

I use these settings and seems to work, although I have noticed problems because the dedicated port sometimes changes!?

Open Skype and go to Tools/Options/Advanced/Connection

1. Make a note of the ‘Use Port for Incoming Connections’

2. Uncheck the box for use port 80 and 443

In Application Rules, create the following for Skype.exe

Allow = TCP OUT

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = 1025 -65535

Destination Port = ANY

Allow = UDP OUT

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = 1025 -65535

Destination Port = ANY

Allow = TCP OUT

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = ANY

Destination Port = 80

Allow = UDP IN

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = ANY

Destination Port = [enter port the number from skype]

Block and Log

IP IN or OUT

From = ANY

To = ANY

Protocol = ANY

In Global Rules create the following:

Allow = UDP IN

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = ANY

Destination Port = [enter port the number from skype]

If you use SkypePM you’ll need to create rules for SkypePM.exe:

Allow = TCP Out

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = ANY

Destination Port = 80

Allow = TCP Out

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = ANY

Destination Port = 443

Allow = TCP Out

From = ANY

To = ANY

Source Port = ANY

Destination Port = 37

Allow = TCP Out

From = ANY

To = 127.0.0.1

Source Port = ANY

Destination Port = ANY

Block and Log

IP IN or OUT

From = ANY

To = ANY

Protocol = ANY

The easiest way is to add skype exe in application rules as a trusted program

…but only if you really trust and you do not mind them stealing your bandwidth as a node? :P0l

I used to use Malwarebytes and when Skype was trusted it often alerted me that a connection that Skype was using was from a know malware IP address. I also heard that unrestricted Skype access was a security risk, but I do not completely understand how. ???

I have missed something? Thanks for the info.

Can someone confirm if these rules are 100% solid for Skype please?

I have them and things run just fine. Just wanted to check back and see if this is really it. Using Skype 3.8.0.115 for known reasons, if anyone has found any differences as to the ports and rules to the latest version please let me know.

Thanks, this is much appreciated.

Well if things run fine with these settings then why would you change them?! If it is not broken, dont fix it!

I personally have stayed also on version 3.8, at least on XP, since the newer versions are are not as clear and user-friendly. Yes there is a security risk of usuing old software, but with these firewall settings plus may be adding Skype and PM as more restricted under D+ settings, then I think / hope it is OK.