Comodo Firewall Blocks Vista SP1 TV Tuner + Media Center

In order to “upgrade” my Vista Home Premium to SP1 I had to remove McAfee antivirus + firewall. After installing SP1, I installed Comodo Firewall 3.0.21.329 as it is both powerful and VISTA compatible. Although I’ve approved all known processes during the learning curve, several problems seem insurmountable: (1) Every time I boot up CPF wants a NEW rule approving the changing ATI TV TUNER connection my COMCAST provider provides. I can’t tell CPF that the TV TUNER is OK. (2) When I open MS MEDIA CENTER / TV LIVE, I get a garbled video and garbled audio, no matter how many times I tell CPF the signal is OK. I’ve even gone to the Media Center subdirectory, my c:\windows\ehome, and made a special CPF rule approving any file or subdirectory under that setting. Still - I cannot access my TV signal using my tuner and Media Center. Is there any way I can use CPF with my TV Tuner + Media Center? - I’ve read every post on the forum that seems to be in this subject area, and can’t find an answer… Also: some posts on the Forum are so fragmentary and non-specific they don’t give me a clue what the poster was thinking… Thanks, in advance.

Well - no one else has replied to my problem, so I’ll update it. COMODO Firewall on my Vista Home Premium SP1 PC not only blocked my ATI TV Wonder Open Cable Receiver, running under Media Center software, but it had so many
user-review blocked codes that it was like eating a picnic on a nest of fire ants. I had to uninstall COMODO ver3, which was taking massive amounts of my time. To do that, I did a CLEAN BOOT under Vista, ran the Comodo Uninstaller, and attempted the CFP3_File_Registry_Cleaner.ZIP even though the instructions said it ran ONLY under XP. I then used REGISTRY BOOSTER2 (PC tools software) to clean the registry, and of course CCLEANER. I used DEVICE MANAGER to uninstall the TV TUNER drivers, and rebooted, to reinstall the device driver for my TV TUNER — which still will not work properly. I was able to get some picture, but it will pixilate ever second or so. I’ve installed ZONEALARM FREE firewall, but my Vista Security tab says COMODO is still installed. I’ve erased everything suggesting COMODO under C:\programs, C:\windows\system32, c:\users, and searched the registry, finding lots of entries similar to the XP registry entries listed on the (un-usable) batch file, but I can’t make REGEDIT under vista erase anything: This is a problem with VISTA:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1316570&SiteID=1

So: I MUST SAY COMODO VER 3 FIREWALL continues to be buggy and high risk for Vista users - and near impossible to uninstall. It has cost me HUGE BLOCKS of time trying to unscramble my VISTA PC, and there is nothing from COMODO corporation (or the flurry of postings on the Forum) that helps totally uninstall it.
I’ll check back from time to time - please COMODO, help us Vista users - now.

Sorry CPF3 has cause you so many problems on Vista I did have a problem with one early version with system restore had to restore my system from image.
To remove CPF3 from the security centre try the link to the thread below.
Dennis
EDIT It is a pain that you cannot delete keys in the registry you need machine rights for Legacy Keys

https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/cfp_3_shows_up_in_security_center_after_uninstall-t19445.0.html;msg133358#msg133358

Thank you, Dennis -
I did go to the FORUM link you gave, and inferred from the very brief checklist-like comments there that a subdirectory buried in VISTA’s c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository that contained obsolete references to COMODO’s firewall. If I could delete that old REPOSITORY subdirectory, the PC would rebuild a current, accurate list of security products on my PC, and it would not lie to me and say CFP3 was active. Frankly, there was NO WAY I could figure this out from the sketchy notes until I stumbled across this site:
January 9, 2008
How to fix Vista’s Security Center from reporting missing or duplicate programs
By Jonathan Schlaffer
http://vista.blorge.com/2008/01/09/how-to-fix-vistas-security-center-from-reporting-missing-or-duplicate-programs/

I followed that clear instruction, rebooted my PC (Twice, it was a slow reindex process), and now VISTA reports I only have ZONEALARM active as a firewall.

Great So Far!
I located Registry management strategies for IT Pros
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e38ccc0c-054a-4a30-9a05-9970186eac671033.mspx
To open the registry with elevated privileges,
click Start,
click All Programs,
click Accessories,
right-click Command Prompt and then point to
Run as administrator.
In the command prompt that opens, type regedit.exe.

and MAYBE this time Regedit will allow me to delete things, but there is an obscure reference in your
email to “machine rights” which doesn’t explain what that is, or how to invoke their magic properties
in order to delete the remaining junk COMODO entries still in my VISTA REGISTRY.

As my PC does basic operations now, even though my Media Center / TV Tuner still is ■■■■■■■ up with pixilating image ever second or so, I will await COMODO CORPS publishing a list of VISTA REGISTRY entries I can try and locate and attempt to delete, or even better yet, publishing a downloadable batch file that does this like the XP version RagWing created in December 2007. Now, it’s April 2008. It’s time for a VISTA batchfile to clean up COMODO’s dragon-poo for users who want to uninstall this big lizard.

Again - thanks for a starting place to try and fix this!

Too late now but you may have been able to set D+ to train mode and the FW to train with safe mode and the appropriate programs to trusted app in both and not had any problems.

Also, it’s been suggested to uninstall CFP with Revo uninstaller

Machine rights should have been System rights this is for Legacy Keys in Vista which you cannot delete with admin rights.
Screenshot below.
The only way I have so far to get system rights is Safe Mode with Command Prompt by this changes the way the keys are showed in the registry.
Dennis

[attachment deleted by admin]

Many thanks - - I think I’ll check COMODO Forum from time to time in the weeks ahead. With all the interest in a turnkey way to uninstall the firewall and also clean the Registry, I believe someone will produce a downloadable utility or batchfile that makes it risk-free fixing the Registry. McAfee and Symantec, for example, have such downloadable cleaners. A Vista version CFP3 cleaner can’t be too far away - sounds like XP users are mostly happy with the batchfile cleaner.

One thing: Comodo has a really dedicated group of users - thanks again -