Comodo + Emule (Different from other posts)

OK… So, I installed Comodo a short while back and have been very happy with it. Here’s what is confusing the ■■■■ out of me…

Comodo worked ‘out of the box’ with Emule fully just by adding an ‘allow all activities’ rule to the application monitor. I had a High ID and everything…

I had to reformat and I backed up the very binary installer that I had used to install Comodo with and then reused it after the reformat to install Comodo again… I then fired up Emule and created another one of those ‘allow all activities’ rules in the application monitor again. But, this time I am faced with the issues that everyone else has had and posted about on these forums before. It stays low id and kad refused to register open even after ‘rechecking firewall’.

So, I have added inbound rules that allow the emule ports to the network monitor and emule now works like it did before the reformat… just fine… Although, I am 100% certain that I have never touched that network monitor rule set before and even though Emule worked fine before without the added rules to the network monitor.

This really confuses the shit out of me…

The application rules determine WHAT is trying to get out and the network monitor rules determine HOW they can get out.

Is it possible that you set up a trusted zone in the first install but not in the second? Setting up a trusted zone creates a default rule set that allows outbound egress from your PC. Something must have varied from one instance to the other to get two different results.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Nope, I’ve never messed with the zones section… It just puzzles me greatly, because I am extremely certain that all I did before was set a rule in the application monitor and it just worked…

Edit:

I had used the automatic install the first time I installed though… then I scanned for known applications, but later deleted all that out of the application section and redid it.

Quad erat demonstratus :wink: